Glass storage prices

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Glass storage prices

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Looking for prices in your area of pint/quart mason jars and half gallon/gallon jugs and where you buy. Store or online?

I was hoping to find some decent deals :mrgreen:

curious to see what yall use other than barrels to store your booze, and the cost.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Glass storage prices

Post by Bushman »

Garage sales for canning jars. Usually pay 25 to 35 cents each but have payed as low as 10 cents. Ace hardware also has sales that are pretty good from time to time.

I like the gallon jars with a wider mouth compared to jugs for ease of Tincturing. I also have found them at garage sales.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

I've used 5 liter Fido jars for aging. I add 4 L or so of barrel strength spirits and a couple of toasted and charred sticks. I remove the rubber gasket and place a coffee filter over the mouth before closing the lid. This keeps the bugs and such out but allows the jar to breathe a bit. They're about $8.00 at the local farm and feed store.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I use gallon and half gallon glass jugs.. free from my local recycling, all I want, jars, jugs, bottles.. check your area for a recycling placing, ask if you can check the glass recycling bins.. they usually don't mind, as long you watch out the others workers doing their thing..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I was at a thrift store the other day.
their "normal" price for quart or pint canning jars is $0.99 each or 6 for $4.00 they were having a sale...1/2 price for everything in the store.
that made the jars $4.00 for a dozen(case). I bought all the pint & Quart they had (7 dozen) but I did have to buy lids & rings. they were just under $2.00 per dozen. so total cost was $6.00 per dozen. about $3.00 less than either Wal-Mart or Rural King.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Most of my Goodwills sell jars for 20 cents each regardless of size. As Bushman already pointed out Ace hardware puts them on sale, usually in August or maybe Sep. for $8 a dozen. I also bought a bunch at an estate sale at the end of the last day for something like a dollar a dozen once.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Thanks guys!

More imput always welcome BUT! i am going to use this info...thanks again!!!!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Our local Goodwill sells pint mason jars for a buck, which is also what Walmart sells them for... They get away with it somehow.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I use 1/2 gallon pickle jars. For a lid I use a stainless bowl from the dollar store upside down with a coffee filter to keep the bugs out.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

My Big Lots are 12 for 8 and 1/2 gals 6 for 9
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Damn, now I need to go to Big Lots and see if mine has any half gallons, I could really use some more.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a lot of growlers I use to proof feints to 40% for storage for all fients or follow up runs. I also use growlers to store backset that I am not using right away.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

If your buying glass mason jars in any size look for "Ball" brand as they have graduated markings on the jar in both ounces and milliliters. Very handy...... :eugeek:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I live in a very small town of 450 people and the the local stores gouge prices heavily. Cheap quart jars are 12-12 and ball are 14.79. a dozen and they'll hold that price during the non canning season because the tight bastards think we won't travel out of town and get them from other places.
Probably why they still have a whole section full of them.

When I'm working I'll stop by Big Lots or Ollies and get them half that price or like Cranky hit estate sales or garage sales and get them cheaper than that.