Anise Essence

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Anise Essence

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

From what I read in the forum, some people makes gin essences to make gin, well I have been thinking about doing the same for Anise as well, that I am going to use it to make RAKI - Turkish Anise Based Spirit, I also have a recipe about how to make RAKI, when you read it normally at second distillation you distill it with Anise in the boiler, this is the normal procedure, but some people also do it with Pure Anise essential oil as well which works, so why not do it as an essence I wanted to get your opinion about it do you think this could work ? Is it possible ?

Thanks
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Anise Essence

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Have a look under the Posts for Absinthe...a lot of HD's, including myself, have used essences to make Abs and other spirits. It's not a purist approach, but they aren't coming to your house to have a drink of it...so don't invite any. :lol:
Getting hung up all day on smiles
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Run some grappa in a gin still loaded with anise to make the essence, then blend it back with the grappa to get the intensity you want.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thanks guys, but I need a rough amount to start trying it, can you please give me a rough explanation and the amount on how to do it please.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Check this thread out in the essential oil section.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 95&t=63991
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you make an essence the amount of anise doesn't matter. Put enough in to flavor more than one batch, it will keep for years.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

15 drops of Aniseed essential oil per litre
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
esxman
Novice

Post by esxman »

Hi from Greece , land of raki and ouzo

The raki on Crete is traditionally from the leftovers from the grape harvest , some commercial firms have an upmarket raki made from the tailings of cabernet grapes , its as dear as whisky !
I make my raki from shiraz or sirah grapes from the garden, they make a good red wine .
I have made ouzo using concentrated oil of anise , leaving the oil in 64% abv raki for a week or so , then putting it back into the still and redistilling and cutting to 40% , but the end product is not bright like say one of the top ouzos .
I have done a lot of research and more than one manufacturer has a list as follows :- star anise or glykanisos ( thats a tiny anise seed ), fennel , mastic , cardamon,coriander,cloves .List is very similar to a gin or rum concoction.
I used this recipe and its much closer to the bought ouzo , than the star anise on it own . Hope that helps esxman