Shiny Objects

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shiny Objects

Post by Chixter »

I'm like a stripped bass, they lure me, they get my attention. From my readings here I have seen at least 2 or 3 of our community employ this or something similar to this:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/braum ... 6gEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Wifey and I have had a long standing rule. Under 3k each for Christmas gifts. MOST years we don't even approach that.

This is under 3k, barely. One can certainly make fine liquor without such eccentricities. But yet.

Shiny. High Tech. Almost clinical looking. As I sip some very locally produced spirits, my eyes are drawn to my 20 gallon Brute with my wheat mash ferment choochin away....the same damn container I mashed it in. Easy. Minimal cost. But quite dull in appearance and lacking polish and sophistication.

O Foul temptress, why dost thou harken mine own curious heart?

If the couple of guys on this forum who had threads on using these devices going back c2013, are still active here and using them, how has the experience(s) been? If anyone else, some beer brewer here perhaps has knowledge of such devices, please don not hesitate to chime in.

I am curious.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
MrFish
Novice

Re: Shiny Objects

Post by MrFish »

Not a user of the braumeister or similar setups, I usually am too broke to buy it so I end up making it :oops:

You might want to look up the Grain Father and Robobrew as they are similar to the braumeister but wayyyy cheaper. I once followed a comparison between Braumeister and Grainfather on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr2Qlh5YKwo
It's quite lenghty but you can always speed up videos to get to the point faster!

TLDW: Grainfather better efficiency, braumeister easier to use.

Also, if you're in Canada, grainfather is at 1k at beergrains for black friday (yeah not the same thanksgiving but we end up getting the same commercial holidays as you US guys!!)

Fish out!
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

I've heard great things about the Braumeister. +1 to the comparison to the Grainfather, which does appear to be more efficient but less easy to use than the Braumeister. The cheaper price does make it more attractive though.

I was thinking of getting a 50L Braumeister to tinker with an all grain whiskey wash, and up to a few months ago they were on sale for about $2,200 on Amazon. But alas, no more. Maybe after christmas there'll be better deals around. Dropping 3k for one would certainly sting.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I don't think that I would give up capacity for a shiney. If I did I would get stainless 55 gallon barrels(2) one as a water boiler that would be elevated and have a uncontrolled element and a drain. The other would be on a drum dolly below the drain on the first and would only have a drain for cleaning. Basically a larger capacity,shiny,nicer looking,easier to clean version of what I got. It would be way under 3k also,more like under 1k.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

If you do an ebay search on "Mash tun" I think you could save a lot of money and find something more economical - ok - you'd have to learn how to use it - but that's not hard.