Gin resting vessel

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

muckyfingers
Novice

Gin resting vessel

Post by muckyfingers »

Hi folks

I've recently made around 30 litres of gin.

In the past I've made small 1 litre test batches that I diluted back to drinking strength, filled an empty bottle, then let it rest for 5 weeks (if I'm lucky!)

My question is what do people suggest with higher quantities?

Do you dilute then add to many bottles?
Or store in a large container?

The reason I ask as it sounds like a foolish question is I only have plastic fermenting buckets and a stainless steel vat that isn't airtight.

Would several bottles affect the taste/resting period?

Do I just man up and buy a container and if so, Any recommendations are appreciated

Many thanks in advance
Rob

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gin resting vessel

Post by Expat »

To my understanding splitting into multiple bottles shouldn't impact the resting results.

I use a couple of glass carboys for soaking and resting; 5 & 6 gallons respectively.

Question, assuming your maceration your gin before it run, what are you doing that in?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've got about 75 gallons worth of 3/5/6 gallon carboys that I use for wort storage, wine, mead, etc. I'll use the 3 gallon carboys to store and blend some liquor but prefer 1 gallon glass jugs for longer term storage. The larger carboys are dangerous and it would be very dangerous should one break.

Google search some photo's for broken carboy injuries and see what you think.

Then consider what happens when you drop one and spill five or six gallons of high proof flammable spirits and get a spark. Try to explain that one to the insurance claim investigator and fire dept.

I had a six gallon carboy develop a small crack once and over the course of a couple days all the wine leaked out after it had aged about six months.. That was a terrible feeling and it made my whole house smell like wine. 130pF cask strength? No thanks ;)

I've heard of people using 5gallon stainless soda kegs for bulk storage and resting with the seals replaced with teflon or maybe wrapped in teflon tape.

Be safe and raise your glass - Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

A 5g corney key with PTFE o-ring works great.

If you get stainless and PTFE host could use co2 to push into bottles

B