Used wine barrels as fermenters?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

glenlyon
Novice

Used wine barrels as fermenters?

Post by glenlyon »

I was given two very nice used (53G) wine barrels. While they are quite sound, I doubt they have any future as an aging vessel. Instead I was thinking of converting them into wooden fermenters. Any thoughts?
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Used wine barrels as fermenters?

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

They're no good, I'll take them off of your hands.

Seriously, they can be used as fermenter and can be used to age something as run or can be re-charrred to used to age bourbon or any
other of whiskey
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

+1 R.W.HillBilly One of the things I know from brewing is that once you use a barrel as a fermenter the yeast strain is "fixed". You can't sterilize it to kill off a yeast once it's established...this goes for wild yeasts as well. In England there are breweries that use wood, I believe that they Sulfate the hell out of them between batches, and over pitch so the "House yeast" has a super strong hold on the wort when a new batch is started. It can be done, it does have limitations, but good management and being aware of what these limits are and you should have "No worries" However... If the barrels are sound enough to hold a wash, why do you think there days are done as ageing casks? What was in them previously ?
Last edited by kiwi Bruce on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

It might have been done a time or three :lol:

If you mod the top a little bit, and fashion a steam wand, you can strip right out of it, too. Mash, ferment and strip all in the same barrel :!:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:It might have been done a time or three :lol:

If you mod the top a little bit, and fashion a steam wand, you can strip right out of it, too. Mash, ferment and strip all in the same barrel :!:
That's my standard method, but with a SS 55G barrel. No reason that a wood 53G barrel wouldn't work just as well, assuming that you can get the appropriate fittings.
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

You're going to have a really hard time sterilizing wooden barrels. Wine makers sometimes burn sulfite candles inside them, but there's a steep learning curve to that method. Steaming them out may work, but you'd need to figure out the temperature and duration. Wood just isn't generally ideal for fermentation unless you're in the business of using them regularly and have a good regimen of cleaning them. But give it a try, it might work out alright for you.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

With all due respect, who cares?
14753546226909.jpg
Buffalo Trace doesn't (above).

Personally, I would invite a home cultured blend of yeast and low ph infections. Thinking about getting a wooden mash paddle just for this reason.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

+1 on the like button!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:It might have been done a time or three :lol:

Found this thread while looking for info on wooden fermenters. So you use you 15g keg to steam cook the corn in the barrel right? How long do you use steam and how much water are you losing in the keg? I love this idea!
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there