Chest freezer fementer?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EventfulAnimal
Novice

Chest freezer fementer?

Post by EventfulAnimal »

Has anyone ever heard of using a chest freezer as a fermenter? A lot of brewers will use them as a fermenting chamber (ie put carboys inside for temperature control). I mean using the freezer itself as a vessel to hold your wash. I'm looking at a free one online, about 120 litres or so.

Pros:
-Airtight.
-Well insulated.
-Large volume.
-A drain in the bottom.
-Chill your wash to help clear it
-Free

Cons:
-Fridge smell?
-Unsafe type of plastic?
- Hard to clean?
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Chest freezer fementer?

Post by hpby98 »

I’m now sold on a 55 gallon drum / barrel with plastic liner

With a temperature controlled heater in it - I use a PiD and stainless bucket heater- it’s about fool proof

Haven’t tried cleaning the liner yet, but they’re not expensive if it’s one per batch

And zero cleanup afterwards. That’s what I think would kill you on a freezer. Plus they’re not engineered to be filled with liquid. I wouldn’t be surprised if the walls failed when full.

http://www.thecarycompany.com/container ... ies/liners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Made from FDA approved LDPE to boot
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I use an upright freezer for a fermentation chamber, but for the reasons mentioned above I don't think I'd ferment right in a chest freezer. I built a "collar" around the door, and it holds a full drum. Holds a 32 gallon brute without the collar.
I have a couple smaller fridges I've used for smaller ferments as well.

If it's free, and you really wanna give it go, might be fine. Might make a helluva a mess if that plastic lining cracks and spills sweet sticky icky everywhere. I think I'd at least fill it with water out in the yard first as a proof of concept.
EventfulAnimal
Novice

Post by EventfulAnimal »

I think you're both right. I just found a cheap 200 litre (55 gallon) drum online, and I'll go with that. What sold me was idea of no cleanup... just bin the liner when it's all over. A bit wasteful, but so is using bucketloads of hot water to clean your fermenter.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

I briefly toyed with that idea but killed it for the same reasons mentioned above. Now use mine as a chamber only with a controller (Inkbird) as well as a ceramic heater with a variable control when the Inkbird is pulling duty elsewhere.

Good luck.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'm interested in purposing an SS 55g barrel as a mash tun / fermenter / thumper so I can use a single vessel for all of those functions and strip on grain - xfer the wash into the boiler and leave the grain behind in the thumper. Probably need a slightly larger boiler - say 30g - but could then also strip straight into my 13g boiler and then minimize any xfers. Stripping still and spirit still. Really would make it easy to do a batch.

I'm interested in reading any notes on this approach as it could really save some time.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Actually if nosey people are around, this may be a good idea. I see lots of small chest freezers around nowdays. These could be tipped over easy and some have key locks.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."