Wash pump

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sailor1
Novice

Wash pump

Post by sailor1 »

Hello all--I am fermenting and distilling on the grain and I'm looking for a pump that can move the wash (grain and liquid) from the fermenter to the still pot. Professional positive displacement pumps are really expensive ($600+ for a plastic bodied pump with small inlet and outlet--which I think would clog quickly) and I wonder if anyone else has already found a good home distiller solution. One that crossed my mind is a macerator pump for an RV or boat toilet (yeah, I know, unappetizing and no, I don't want your used one). They have large inlet and outlet ports (1-1/2" I think). Of course, they're not made to convey food so who knows what chemicals might leach out of one. Nothing would be in contact with the pump interior for long, and the fermented wash would not be hot, so maybe it's not a big deal. They're generally 12V which is a bit of a hassle, but can be overcome.
I'm curious to hear if anyone else has a good solution or has perhaps tried this one.
Thanks!
Sailor1
badflash
Swill Maker

Re: Wash pump

Post by badflash »

Might look into a sewerage pump. I have been thinking about one. They are designed to handle turds, so wet mash should not be much of a problem. They are intermittent duty, but I doubt you need more than a 15 minute run.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200311397" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
sailor1
Novice

Post by sailor1 »

thanks Badflash--looks like a good possibility. Already wired for AC!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

that northern tool pump is for grey water. i doubt it would pump semi solids for long. or at all.

i thought about a small one of these (they had a 1.5" for 200 on a small gas engine) https://www.princessauto.com/en/search? ... trash+pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

the problem was...it was gas. then i stumbled across a 2" flexible impeller pump. it gets the job done,
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

HDNB wrote:that northern tool pump is for grey water. i doubt it would pump semi solids for long. or at all.

The spec sheet says otherwise and shows it being hooked up to a toilet. It is a sweage pump, not a clear water pump. There is another model for $10 more that says it will pump stuff up to 2".