HDPE barrel as a BOP?????

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

HDPE barrel as a BOP?????

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I have been trying to figure out any other options for a BOP. My boiler does not have a drain.
I had thought about putting a 4500w element in a HDPE barrel. I did not know if it was a viable option then I saw this post.......
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71035
I am wanting to use it ONLY for getting water hot enough to transfer into another HDPE barrel for mashing. Similar to the way SCD does his....viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65703

any thoughts about doing this?
Thanks in advance
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: HDPE barrel as a BOP?????

Post by HDNB »

HDNB wrote:why not? you could use a polypropylene bulkhead bung with reducing thread to element size and screw it right in.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BANJO-TF300-Bul ... SwdSRaDNgK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
you may want to check melting temp of the HDPE though...wouldn't want the side going soft at 205* :shock:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

HDNB wrote:
HDNB wrote:why not? you could use a polypropylene bulkhead bung with reducing thread to element size and screw it right in.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BANJO-TF300-Bul ... SwdSRaDNgK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
you may want to check melting temp of the HDPE though...wouldn't want the side going soft at 205* :shock:
I did check about a month ago. If I remember correctly it had a "max working temp" 450*f I know it was WELL above 212*f.

There is an Artisan Distillery close to home, He drains/transfers from his 125Gallon boiler into either 2 blue 55g HDPE barrels or 250 gallon totes. As soon as he is done with his run. Probably 200-210*f.

Just thought of this....why not ask him.....duh

thanks HDNB
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:
HDNB wrote:

I did check about a month ago. If I remember correctly it had a "max working temp" 450*f I know it was WELL above 212*f.

There is an Artisan Distillery close to home, He drains/transfers from his 125Gallon boiler into either 2 blue 55g HDPE barrels or 250 gallon totes. As soon as he is done with his run. Probably 200-210*f.

Just thought of this....why not ask him.....duh

thanks HDNB
? Many of us boil our water and use Food grade Blue barrels to mash in. Nothing new there, but your initial question was in regards to using the barrel itself as a boiler to heat water, Its not the boiling temp of the water that's the issue it's the size of that element near plastic. You sure wouldn't want to put it close to the bottom. My advice would be to scrap this line of thinking go to the Academy and shell out 100 bucks for a 20 gallon Alumimum pot for boiling grains for enzymes, it comes with a propane jet burner, basket, and lid.

Here's another idea build you a steam wand to attach to your current boiler if its grains you are working, and save the barrels for there intended purpose which is to hold 50 gallons of steamed golden corn, wheat and oat mash smoothness.

Aluminum pots can certainly be used for boiling grains and I have found that basket that comes with it can be filled with one cheesecloth type nylon large bag and upon completion of the boil a simple hand winch pulls the basket out of the liquid to hang and drain into the pot. By morning hardly a drip is left in the grain and a couple squeezes gets that out.

So in short that 100 bucks has not only given me a large pot and jet burner but also a very useful basket that will hold the weight of 35 pounds of corn no problem. My mop bucket- butt pressing and wringing out bags of mash days are over forever.

I tried this before without a basket but the BIAB bag ripped, but with that heavy duty basket wrapped in a large nylon strainer bag I have found that I should have went this route years back. It's like night and day, and I now am glad I shelled out that money this spring.

One word of advice keep the drill mixer in the center to avoid tearing your bag, as at least in my case the bags cannot be found anywhere but online. A bonus with this is no fear of scorching, I run that jet wide open now and it has greatly reduced my boiling time as the basket and bag of grain by not allowing the grain to rest on the bottom of the pot eliminates scorching issues with corn and wheat meal. Only the bottom of the basket touches the bottom of the pot. The bag by keeping all grains inside leaves virtually little cleanup of the pot upon completion. Less boil time, less cleanup time, No scorching, and did I mention no straining? My bag opens on top and fits my pot basket like a glove so I only close and tie the string upon winching up. I use a hand drill and homemade welded mixer paddle for my drill. When you don't have to worry about scorching u don't have to run the mixer non stop so it just keeps getting better. Less mixing means less electricity used. It's all about the cost in the end and anytime we can reduce boil times and electricity usage we are saving money that can purchase grains, propane etc. Add a one inch boiler drain or larger to your pot eliminates almost all heavy labor as it eliminates using buckets to transfer water, grain etc.

I have tried kegs, steam wands etc but that small opening on the keg was a no go after one grain cleanup, and steaming never gave me full complete conversion. My advice would be to drop the plastic boiler idea and get a good pot. In my searches the store " Acadamy" had the best deals as 100 bucks for a heavy duty jet burner, 20 gallon pot and this wonderful basket that may last forever and you will have no worrys of burning through a barrel. Boilers are metal for good reason. Contrary to some differing opinions here, Aluminum boil pots are more than suitable to boil grain or water and have been used for decades just for that purpose, Sure i wish we all had 20 gallon copper pots or bigger to boil with, but there is no need to shell out truckloads of money to boil grain, Go Aluminum 20 gallons up and you won't be disappointed nor broke.

Next year I hope to upgrade to a 40 gallon boil pot and electric instead of a hand winch. I can't believe it took me this long to go this route as being stupid is hard back breaking work. Now I listen to the radio and relax and can't figure out why I ever scorched any corn at all through the years as this method has been around for years and having to learn the hard way was unnecessary. Adding a nipple to screw in a gauge about half way up my pot is all I'm missing.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."