Keeping mash temps cool in a hot garage

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Keeping mash temps cool in a hot garage

Post by okie »

I am looking at an aquarium chiller the ones with a compressor and Freon that cool or heat. I was thinking a water bath tub and my fermenter inside with lines running to and from the chiller. I can set the thermometer inside the mash for a more accurate reading.

Anyone using these or what do you use?
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Re: Keeping mash temps cool in a hot garage

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

Put it on a concrete floor in the north corner of the garage (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere).

Open windows at night, if possible, or open doors and windows a few hours at sundown. Or, put under an open window, so it cools over night.

Split your ferment into smaller containers and store inside the home?

Maybe save up materials and ferment seasonally. This stuff was being made centuries before chillers were invented. There is a way.
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

We had a week of over 100 degrees. one day was 117. this is why I am asking
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

We have had no rain and all sun for at least a month: trees are losing leaves and dropping seeds. Today, when walking the dog, I tried to picture my neighbourhood with all the trees wilted and died. Is much more scaring than polar bears dying or gletchers in Greenland melting.

My first thought was of the stoneware flasks through which the water passed a bit. So if the sweat on the outside vapourized, it kept the inside cool. I found that wet rags on my copper riser or ss cooler work very well, even if they are hot. As long as they are wet, they cool the inside.
Maybe enough for your ferment?
Costs little water and no electricity, only your own attention. It is not steady or regular, but temperature always changes during the day.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Set up a swamp chiller...put your fermenter in a tub that will hold a little over 5 gal...wrap it in a blanket, and wet it down...put about 5lb of ice in your tub and 2 lb of winter deicing salt and 3 gal of water...set 2 or 3 electric fans blowing on high, aimed directly at your fermenter.
If it gets too cold set your fermenter on bricks or something to lift it out of the water and just use the evaporation off the blanket to cool it down. Keep adding ice every three days or so...in a heat wave you may need to add ice each day. The biggest problem with a swamp chiller is it can drop the temp a little too far, you can adjust it by using only one or two fans and lowering the fan speed.
These chillers work well and they are cheap to run.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Reverend Newer
Swill Maker

Post by Reverend Newer »

Use SuperStart yeast by Lallemand, they enjoy up to 105 degrees, no off flavors, I been sold on them for quite some time.

Hydroponic chillers are expensive
spiritually taxed circa 1791
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

Reverend Newer wrote:Use SuperStart yeast by Lallemand, they enjoy up to 105 degrees, no off flavors, I been sold on them for quite some time.

Hydroponic chillers are expensive
Thank you very much
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

As pointed out, using yeast that matches the temps is the simplest option.
Another is to use a wort chiller or put the fermenter in a water bath.
My garden appreciates getting watered on a hot summer day