Anyone Made a Centrifuge?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Anyone Made a Centrifuge?

Post by Antler24 »

Anybody here made one? Got to thinking last night while storing my first cooked mash (with drill :clap: ) about an easy way to separate the grain before distilling. With my back trouble I'm always trying to minimize the grunt work or long spells of bending over.
I know you can buy the stainless mesh grain baskets, custom made to any size you need. So I was thinking if a fella had one of those sized to fit, with a couple brackets to hang across the top of the fermenter bucket. The bucket would hang down into the fermenters and spin freely from the bracket, drill Chuck on top. So you siphon out the mash, put the basket in, scoop the grain into the basket and give her a good spin with your drill. Then dispose of the basket of grain and dump your murky liquid into the boiler.

Any thoughts?
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Anyone Made a Centrifuge?

Post by Yummyrum »

This was the result of someone using a washing mashine on spin cycle
(Pics snatched off another site)
4F01E1D3-4459-428D-8BE1-D85525F39A38.jpeg
395F7F3A-F8FE-4DD9-8A1F-B8A011423A4B.jpeg
2799B18D-6DD0-423B-BC5E-0E59200AF2B1.jpeg
A large heavy mass spinning very fast :eugeek:

Others have managed it succssfully though . I believe in the above situation the guy was tryng to sparge while it was spinning .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here's a thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54261&start=30#p7291509

But I like Yummy's story better...something the grandkids will laugh about.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

That was the first example that sprung to my mind Yummy, glad you posted it up :thumbup:
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

Check this out:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panda-3200- ... TwodlaoIOA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Try googling "centrifuge for laundry".
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

The catastrophe you've posted the pics of happened when Butch tried to sparge the grains. Up until that point he didn't encounter any problems.

Any device on that large of scale needs to be anchored to the the floor, IMO.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Yummyrum wrote:This was the result of someone using a washing mashine on spin cycle
A large heavy mass spinning very fast :eugeek:

Others have managed it succssfully though . I believe in the above situation the guy was tryng to sparge while it was spinning .

Well, that's NOT what I want my wife to walk into when she hears me cursing in the basement.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Washing machine might be viable if a man were to evenly distribute the grains in the tub before starting the cycle.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Blarney Stoned on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Yummyrum wrote:This was the result of someone using a washing mashine on spin cycle
:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

hellbilly007 wrote: Any device on that large of scale needs to be anchored to the the floor, IMO.
Totally agree . Personally I think its quite doable ... with a bit of common sense.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Blarney Stoned wrote:Washing machine might be viable if a man were evenly distribute the grains in the tub before starting the cycle.

:thumbup:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've seen someone use a washing machine in it's shroud and was working well, can't seem to remember where. I believe it was on youtube, it may be possible to find with good googlefu
Don't be a dick
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

I just came back to this forum after a bit of an absence and thought I would show you my little creation. I wanted to build a centrifuge and I decided to use my miling machine as the base. That's already a cheat but hey, I have one so I figured I would use it.

First off, for the haters that will freak out that I'm housing room temperature, 40% alcohol in a plastic bottle, I hope to switch to stainless bottles but for now, I'll use P.E.T., just like the distilleries do.

Right now, the weak link is the amount of force I can put on the cap. I know I can successfully contain 100 psi in a P.E.T. bottle so I did the math to figure out what the force on the cap would be at that point. From that, I can calculate the equivalent RPM that will generate the same centrifugal force load on the cap. My numbers say that's about 150 rpm but so far I haven't had the guts to go that high. i'm at about 120 rpm and I'll see how that does. I designed it to accept 2, 3, 4 or 6 bottles in order to stay balanced. My milling machine won't clear a full 2 liter pop bottle so I am using 1 liter bottles. Since I plan to rack the clear stuff off first, 6 liters should be plenty to spin the dregs at the bottom.

This was my plan.

Today I finally got it put together and spun up. I didn't want to lose too much of the good stuff so I have water on once side and raspberry liqueur on the other. So far I haven't managed to repaint my shop walls in raspberry red. Here's what it looks like in operation.

https://youtu.be/JAS4JJ71E4w
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Classic :clap:
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

I placed about 600ml of dregs in one of the bottles yesterday and spun it for about 20 hours. This morning I racked off 420ml if clear liqueur so that's about 70% recovery. I'll take it!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Slinky Pickle wrote:I placed about 600ml of dregs in one of the bottles yesterday and spun it for about 20 hours. This morning I racked off 420ml if clear liqueur so that's about 70% recovery. I'll take it!
Wow...awesome.

At that rate, a 50 gallon ferment would take you 37 weeks, 3 days and 21 hours running at 24 hour days. You'd only have to fill the centrifuge 315 1/2 times at 600 ml per fill.
But a 30 gallon ferment would only take 22 weeks, 3 days and 17 1/2 hours to run. It would only require 189 1/3 charges of 600 ml per fill.
A 5 gallon ferment would require only 3 weeks, 5 days and 7 hours to run, and only 31 1/2 charges of 600 ml per fill.

What an opportunity.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I'ill stay with my apple press for now, as I get 110% recovery in 1 hrs, plus 20 min cleanup on a 5 gal mash..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

still_stirrin wrote:
Slinky Pickle wrote:I placed about 600ml of dregs in one of the bottles yesterday and spun it for about 20 hours. This morning I racked off 420ml if clear liqueur so that's about 70% recovery. I'll take it!
Wow...awesome.

At that rate, a 50 gallon ferment would take you 37 weeks, 3 days and 21 hours running at 24 hour days. You'd only have to fill the centrifuge 315 1/2 times at 600 ml per fill.
But a 30 gallon ferment would only take 22 weeks, 3 days and 17 1/2 hours to run. It would only require 189 1/3 charges of 600 ml per fill.
A 5 gallon ferment would require only 3 weeks, 5 days and 7 hours to run, and only 31 1/2 charges of 600 ml per fill.

What an opportunity.
ss
You missed my point completely. First off, this isn't a ferment and nowhere did I say that. This is a raspberry liqueur infusion that I made and I'm simply trying to get as much clear liquid out as I can. I had already racked off the clear (about 90% of the total volume) and bottled it. I took the remaining solids off the bottom and put it in the centrifuge. Since I'm getting 70% of the 10% that settled to the bottom I did OK.

Now for your math. If I did want to do a 50 gallon (I'll assume US gallons) and I can run 6 liters a day on the centrifuge then I would be done in 32 days. While that's still very impracticable and not at all what I'm doing, at least I did the math correctly. Thanks for your input!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Slinky
Did centrifuging the Raspberry change the colour of it much ?

Also curious about the classification of a centrifuge ? Now obviously this device is just like say a laboratory one where the heavy particles "fly" to the outer and end up in the bottom of the "bottle" or tube .
So is a washing machine on spin cycle not technically a centrifuge ? It's kinda like in reverse where the water fly's out and the heavier stuff is just trapped in a mesh :think:
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

Yummyrum wrote:Slinky

Also curious about the classification of a centrifuge ? Now obviously this device is just like say a laboratory one where the heavy particles "fly" to the outer and end up in the bottom of the "bottle" or tube .
So is a washing machine on spin cycle not technically a centrifuge ? It's kinda like in reverse where the water fly's out and the heavier stuff is just trapped in a mesh :think:
There was no color change. It just separates the heavier bits from the lighter liquid. In my unit or a washer, the heavier solids would run to the outside due to centrifugal force. Scientific centrifuges will spin at as much as 5000 rpm and can generate 5000 G's of force. They create some huge forces but are very small in capacity.

In my setup, the bottles hang vertically before they start spinning. Once they are up to speed, they lay out horizontally. The heavier solids go to the bottom of the bottles and as long as I slow it down very gradually, they stay there after the bottles once again hang vertically after coming to a stop. Even at 150 rpm I'm only getting about 6 G's but that's still way better than just letting it sit on the shelf and settle. If I can create a more secure cap system I think I can run it up to about 300 rpm then I'll get about 25 G's. I have a plan for that but I will need a few more parts.

In a washer, the solids would also run to the outside and you would need to figure out how to collect them. If you just leave them out against the rim they will simply slide back down when you turn the spinning motor off. You would need to line the rim with a mesh type holder to grab the solids and retain them. I'm not sure how fast a washer will spin but I'm sure there's a way of building a solids trap for the outer face.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Slinky Pickle wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Slinky
:
There was no color change.
:thumbup:

I love your Centrifuge idea and it seems well made . I have to say I share your concern about the Strength of the lids . Man I recon one of those bottles would do some damage if it hit you in the chest at high speed :esurprised:

Regarding Washing Machine spin speeds , modern ones will spin off at around 2000RPM This was thanks to using Direct drive technology with large three phase stepper motors .
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

this is the lad who does beer in a washing machine.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3yQu ... 7KK1NSW0Pw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Don't be a dick
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

Swedish Pride wrote:this is the lad who does beer in a washing machine.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3yQu ... 7KK1NSW0Pw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That's brilliant!
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Like Stinky Pickle I wanted to clear particles in my finished product. I started this project and soon realized it was not going to be safe unless I put a shroud around it. My space is limited and this was going to be too big for storage. I gave up on the project. So I just put my Liqueurs in the fridge for a few days. The solids separate to the bottom of the jar nicely.
This thing would have been scary.
3EC4C10B-D0FE-49FD-9B3C-ACD3B77C821C.jpeg
JBC
JBC
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:So I just put my Liqueurs in the fridge for a few days. The solids separate to the bottom of the jar nicely.
When I do that with my raspberry liqueur the pectin kicks in and I end up with a bottle sized Jello Shot. :D
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Slinky Pickle wrote:
JellybeanCorncob wrote:So I just put my Liqueurs in the fridge for a few days. The solids separate to the bottom of the jar nicely.
When I do that with my raspberry liqueur the pectin kicks in and I end up with a bottle sized Jello Shot. :D
Slinky: I’m not sure I follow you. Pectins in your liqueurs? I don’t follow you. Is there natural pectins in raspberrys or have you added some?
Sorry I called you stinky pickle. My bad :oops:
JBC
JBC
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:Is there natural pectins in raspberrys or have you added some?
They must be natural because I didn't add any. I've had them gel right up when I chill them. One time I cooked the berries down to extract the juice and the liqueur gelled extremely bad. Now I just do a room temperature infusion and it seems ok unless I chill it.

For the record though, the gelled version is REALLY good on ice cream! :crazy:
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

StillerBoy wrote:I'ill stay with my apple press for now, as I get 110% recovery in 1 hrs, plus 20 min cleanup on a 5 gal mash..

Mars

110%

That is a trick setup!