Mash Tun

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PeeGee
Novice

Mash Tun

Post by PeeGee »

In all grain washes where a mash tun is used what do most people use?
I have been using a 56L drink cooler.
Others I think mainly use ice coolers of varying sizes.
I was considering up-sizing to around 100L but the coolers themselves according to one manufacturer are only rated to 60C.
This is little below the 65C and 75C temperatures required for mashing.

Any comments?
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Mash Tun

Post by HDNB »

a plastic pickle barrel in the 200 l range was my step up from 6 gallon pails. i used that for about a year before i stumbled into some stainless for a good price.
commercial delis usually sell off these barrels for rain barrels for 10 each. they be perfect for the task.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

HDNB wrote: a plastic pickle barrel in the 200 l range was my step up from 6 gallon pails. I used that for about a year before I stumbled into some stainless for a good price.
commercial delis usually sell off these barrels for rain barrels for 10 each. they be perfect for the task.
How big were the barrels?

Just by the way I am looking out (in Victoria or sort of south central/ south western New South Wales, Australia), for stainless (or copper!) barrels with full sized lid, maybe 55 gal US (205 l, 44 Imperial gal) to as little as half that size. No great rush unless it is a very special deal, I am a bit short of money right now. sigh
I could use them as one would use a thumper, to make grappa, and possibly all grain whiskey, or maybe as a mash tun.
Surprising what you can find when a few people know about it. I bought one years ago, not got it now, from a winery. They bought it full of brandy to make fortified wine.
Thanks.

Geoff
The Baker
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

I use either a 35 or 55 gallon grey plastic trash can.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

The Baker wrote:
HDNB wrote: a plastic pickle barrel in the 200 l range was my step up from 6 gallon pails. I used that for about a year before I stumbled into some stainless for a good price.
How big were the barrels?

Geoff
the plastic pickle barrels in the 200 l range? they are about 200 l :wink: :ebiggrin:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
PeeGee
Novice

Post by PeeGee »

Just so we know exactly what we are talking about can someone post a picture of these pickle barrels please?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

So HDNB, were the stainless ones 205 litres too?

Geoff
The Baker
PeeGee
Novice

Post by PeeGee »

As most people use ice coolers then does the plastic used deteriorate over time?
I am thinking that if it does the distillation process would remove any nasties.
Do any stainless steel lined mash tuns exist at a craft level?
And at a responsible cost?
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

PeeGee,

I'm not sure where you are, but on amazon prime you can get one of these http://a.co/d/863zSn2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow which holds an awful lot of mash for $75. It is pretty thick walled plastic and seals on top too if you'd like to ferment on grain sealed with a blowoff hose to keep out nasties.

When putting water up to 170 F into coolers for mashing I've had the inner liner expand and half come loose from the foam interior insulation, but that's about the only problem I had with them breaking down.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

For mixing and "cooking" an all-grain mash I use a commercial duty rated grout mixer and a 22 Gallon pot with a bottom drain spout set over a 30,000 Btu Propane burner.
Flute_Still 001.JPG
Flute_Still 006.JPG
Flute_Still 007.JPG
mash boiler screen 001.JPG
Still 005 (2).JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Euphoria, I want to move in to your garage. Your setup is just so nice.
PeeGee
Novice

Post by PeeGee »

MtRainier
Thanks for your reply.
One problem as you have said with the ice cooler type eski is that the inner skin may de-laminate from the foam? insulation at higher temperature of 75C on sparging.
One other thing is the plastic using to make ice coolers food grade?
An insulated blue barrel may be the way to go.
Cheers
PeeGee