Inductor tank setup?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FlintHills
Novice

Inductor tank setup?

Post by FlintHills »

I was lucky enough to come across a 55 gallon inductor tank that came with the stand and a banjo shut off valve. So now, being who I am, I like to improve on things to hopefully make my life a little easier down the road. That being said, first thing, I picked up heavy duty caster wheels so i can roll it around if needed. The problem I’m running into is, the casters are meant to be bolted down with 4 bolts, unfortunately only 3 are able to be bolted on each caster in its current state. Can someone tell me if the bolts per caster is enough? Or should i take the stand to the welding shop and have some fill plates welded in?

Secondly, the banjo shut off valve, I don’t know much about them but it was included when i picked it up. I know most brewers us something of stainless steel. Is this a valve i can safely use or should i begin the search for a stainless version?

Lastly, since this is becoming a bit of a project. Is there anything i should consider adding to this while I’m at it? A cooling coil or racking arm maybe?
Attachments
32E62B90-DBD5-41A6-9DF8-CA4EFCFED990.jpeg
E9C2CB62-28E2-4805-8DCD-D3CB6F19C27D.jpeg
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Inductor tank setup?

Post by HDNB »

personally i'd be ok with 3 bolts.

the banjo i use on ferments are polypropylene and are ok with booze in the ferment stage. they look similar to the image, maybe check the manufacturer for the material if you are concerned.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

HDNB wrote:personally i'd be ok with 3 bolts.

the banjo i use on ferments are polypropylene and are ok with booze in the ferment stage. they look similar to the image, maybe check the manufacturer for the material if you are concerned.
Thanks HDNB!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Another thing you should consider is a threaded plug that you can insert into the outlet of the valve to prevent a spill if someone bumps into the valve and accidentally opens it.
something like :
stopper.jpg
OVZ
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I've got two of those tanks in 30 gal and they're a bitch on wheels. They are so top heavy. If ya go to a welder have him or her increase the footing distance to give it more stability if you plan on moving when full. Nice score. :thumbup:
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

acfixer69 wrote:I've got two of those tanks in 30 gal and they're a bitch on wheels. They are so top heavy. If ya go to a welder have him or her increase the footing distance to give it more stability if you plan on moving when full. Nice score. :thumbup:
Thank you for the tip! I bought wheels for it but I’ve yet to have a chance to install them. After getting home and thinking about it, the wheels i bought are way too big given their load rating and the estimated weight of a full conical. Maybe it’ll roll easier? Widening the base sounds like a good idea, I’d be curious to know how big the spread would have to be to cure the issue and at what points it would lose practicality having such a potentially wide base
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

acfixer69 wrote:I've got two of those tanks in 30 gal and they're a bitch on wheels. They are so top heavy. If ya go to a welder have him or her increase the footing distance to give it more stability if you plan on moving when full. Nice score. :thumbup:
You could make it a lot lower by installing a drain that rises to maybe halfway up the cone.
Sounds silly but;
turn on the drain tap and the only liquid left would be the little bit in the bottom of the cone, if you had a tee in the drain with another tap you could easily lift the whole thing into a higher circle frame, OR (no extra tap) lift the damn thing and tip the last bit out the top.

Yeah, make the feet very wide.
And use only three( or MAYBE five) wheels, that will work if the floor is at all uneven. And do not set the wheels under the end of the legs, set them BESIDE (and OUTSIDE) the end of the legs, with big wheels that will give you more than half the diameter of the wheels as extra lowness (whatever).

Have fun.

Geoff
The Baker
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

The Baker wrote:
You could make it a lot lower by installing a drain that rises to maybe halfway up the cone.
Sounds silly but;
turn on the drain tap and the only liquid left would be the little bit in the bottom of the cone, if you had a tee in the drain with another tap you could easily lift the whole thing into a higher circle frame, OR (no extra tap) lift the damn thing and tip the last bit out the top.

Yeah, make the feet very wide.
And use only three( or MAYBE five) wheels, that will work if the floor is at all uneven. And do not set the wheels under the end of the legs, set them BESIDE (and OUTSIDE) the end of the legs, with big wheels that will give you more than half the diameter of the wheels as extra lowness (whatever).

Have fun.

Geoff
Sounds like I’m going to have to do some R&D before I decide to use this thing :think:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Start with a piece of plywood larger than the base, mount the wheels to the wood and then experiment with wheel placement. Once you figure out what works best for you have it fabricated in steel.

OVZ
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Start with a piece of plywood larger than the base, mount the wheels to the wood and then experiment with wheel placement. Once you figure out what works best for you have it fabricated in steel.

OVZ
Good advise OZ ....but then I'm a cheap skate , I'd probably just leave it on the wooden base :oops:
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Start with a piece of plywood larger than the base, mount the wheels to the wood and then experiment with wheel placement. Once you figure out what works best for you have it fabricated in steel.

OVZ

That’s a pretty good idea OZ. Pay once, cry once. Better than trying to move it and tipping the whole thing over :thumbup: