Corona mill set up and mods

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Corona mill set up and mods

Post by Big Stogie »

I had to mill som corn for a batch of HBB that I wanted to try, my trusty 2 roll mill can’t really handle corn and I remembered I had an old corona mill I got in trade. I went and got 2 homer buckets, a scrap of 2X4, and a plastic water cooler bottle. I mounted the mill in one bucket with the top of the mill even with the top of the bucket and then cut the bottom out, I made some slits over the opening of the mill in the lid, I shortened the neck of the water jug and cut out the bottom, the whole this took less than 30 minute, I did take the cotter pin that holds the outside plate in place and replaced it with a 8-32 bolt which made the plate far more stable and allowed the gap to be much more consistent. I had to put a coupe flat washers as spacers for the bracket that holds it together. Again to get better adjustment. We chewed through 50 lbs of tractor supply corn in about 15 minutes, I’m super happy and it works great I can get it to fine powder if I want let me know if you need help building one you won’t be sorry
Attachments
7CA373B0-A549-4170-99F1-81E4FAB43C0C.jpeg
8F788447-C590-48CE-9DF7-54CEC54360FE.jpeg
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
Sharks_n_danger
Novice

Re: Corona mill set up and mods

Post by Sharks_n_danger »

Very nicely done! I know what my next project is going to be now
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

This how I modified my corona and its been working well for the past year.. I can use either way, with an electric drill or with the wiper motor, depending on what grains I'm milling.. corn, the 1/2 drill, the other grains, wiper motor.. it only about 5 min to swap from one to other..
Attachments
motorized corona setup
motorized corona setup
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

That duct piece is brilliant as a hopper. Any modifications required?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

Expat wrote:That duct piece is brilliant as a hopper. Any modifications required?
The hopper top is 5", at least on my, and duct piece is 6 - 5" reducer and allows just short of 5 lbs load.. I also have a 7 - 5" reducer and it allows just short of 6.5 lbs.. for the grains bills I do, they fit my needs just right..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Good mods .
SRD custom made me a 25# hopper . Works great .
Hint : Rough crack corn , tighten a bit finer and run again . Tighten and run as fine as you like . Will run faster this way and will nt burn up your drill or break your mill .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I was looking for a duct reducer but I saw the water bottle in the shop and just went with it, glad I did the mill works great with a couple minor tweaks. Saved me a some money on the electric one that’s talked about here

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Big Stogie, i'm setting up to do my own AG mash and I'm thinking to put together a setup like yours. Would you be able to show the mount you put in the bucket and what kind of hole you cut in the bottom of the bucket? Appreciated for your help.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Big Stogie »

i cut the whole bottom out and put it in another bucket, I will take a better picture of the 2X4 mount we made. it took 5 minutes with a jig saw
B.S.

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Much appreciated!

I've modded and tested my mill, I'll finish it up with the mount.

Cross flow condenser

Post by greggn »

Expat wrote:Big Stogie, i'm setting up to do my own AG mash and I'm thinking to put together a setup like yours. Would you be able to show the mount you put in the bucket and what kind of hole you cut in the bottom of the bucket? Appreciated for your help.

Since I clean, somewhat obsessively, I wanted the mill more accessible.

I cut the rim off one bucket, leaving an inch or two lip below the rim and cut two "flanges" from the rim. The mount then spans those cuts in the rim and mounts to scrap wood that's secured to those flanges. That rim-mounted mill set-up then fits into a second bucket. The bottom of the first bucket, from which the rim was cut, serves as the cover.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words ... and surely better than my description above. Scroll down this thread for a better understanding.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=62358

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn