Monster Mill 2 MM2 and cracking Rye

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dantuss
Swill Maker

Monster Mill 2 MM2 and cracking Rye

Post by Dantuss »

Hi;
Anyone know how this mm2 will do cracking unmalted rye?
Just starting to get geared up for my first AG done tons of reading and want to do a rye whisky and have access to lots of unmalted rye at 5$/can per 75lbs seems like a good deal.

Thanks for any help.
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bushman
Admin

Re: Monster Mill 2 MM2 and cracking Rye

Post by Bushman »

I have a MMII and use it on cracked corn, malted grains including rye. Works great just need to dial in the correct spacing between the rollers. Have not tried it on unmalted grains but shouldn’t be a problem.
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Thanks for the reply and feedback Bushman!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

I had to make my own eccentric knobs because the smallest gap with the ones that came with it was not narrow enough for cracking apart rye and malted barley. I found the 3/4" steel rod on eBay, and I think I got the bronze bushings from Lowes. A hacksaw, sanding station, and drill press were all I needed. I can get the gap to where the rollers are a BCH from touching.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

nathar wrote:I had to make my own eccentric knobs because the smallest gap with the ones that came with it was not narrow enough for cracking apart rye and malted barley. I found the 3/4" steel rod on eBay, and I think I got the bronze bushings from Lowes. A hacksaw, sanding station, and drill press were all I needed. I can get the gap to where the rollers are a BCH from touching.
Are you talking about the MMII? I crack malted rye all the time.
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

Bushman wrote:Are you talking about the MMII? I crack malted rye all the time.
Yes, a MM2. I've got the hopper attachment and motorized it.

Now that I think about it, the reason I made my own eccentric knobs is because I wanted to make home-ground corn meal like my grandparents did. They grew their own corn and had it milled. Ol' mam'aw made the best corn bread in the world.

However, I did find that I wanted a finer crack for my malted barley and rye. The stock knobs just didn't break it up enough for me.
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

Correction:

I found a youtube video I made after the mod. I needed a wider gap because the corn kernels kept jamming the rollers. I remember using my DeWalt 6.8 amp drill to turn the roller, and when a corn kernel jammed it, two things happened: the mill did a 180 in the air and my wrist got painfully twisted.

But, the happy result of my custom knobs is that I can widen the gap more than the stock knobs, and I can narrow the gap until the rollers almost touch.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I found if you start the rollers before loading and then load at a steady flow rather than dumping it helps in preventing it from clogging.
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

Here is a side by side of the original knob that came with the MM2, and my shop-built knob. I just used a hacksaw, disc sander, and drill press. Materials need: 3/4" steel rod, bronze bushings.

It's nice being able to fill up the hopper and not having to babysit it.
Stock versus custom adjustment knobs
Stock versus custom adjustment knobs
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I use a MM2 powered by an electric drill; I use gap .038 for Tractor Supply cracked corn and .032 for whole wheat and .032 for malted barley. Works great.

BG
nathar
Novice

Post by nathar »

Taking MM2 to the HNL (hole nubba lebble):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwO9xiXaHf4

:D