Alcohol dilution calculation

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Eckardt M
Novice

Alcohol dilution calculation

Post by Eckardt M »

Good day everyone, hope you all are well.

I have a problem diluting alcohol down to a specific ABV. I found a formula on the net https://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. The problem I have with the formulas is if I dilute the alcohol from 80% down to 43%, it doesn't end up at 43%. It end up higher, usually 46%.

I tried using different formulas but get to the same results. Will it be temperature that can affect the dilution? I don't know why this is happening. You advise will be appreciated.

Regards
Eckardt
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Alcohol dilution calculation

Post by NZChris »

Have you checked the alcometer?

Do you adjust for temperature?
Eckardt M
Novice

Post by Eckardt M »

I do use the alcohol meter, this is how I noticed the difference. How do I adjust for temperature?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

There's more going on.

1 liter 80% and 1 liter 0% will never equal 2 liters, therefore never be 40%.

I can not explain the science, but I have read alot. Basically, alcohol molecules and water molecules sort of "fit together " with less volume than alone. Like a zipper, I suppose.

Anyways, in the above example you might get 44% @ 1.89 liters. Or such numbers.

Regardless, we all experience it. Just be glad it does not under proof. You'll eventually throw a little extra water in and sneak up on the number.

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Last edited by NZChris on Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Post by Getsmokin »

It seems like I remember a podcast where the commercial guys proof by weight with load cells, as it was more accurate. There was also something to measuring the dilution, it took a bit of time for everything to equalize, to get a correct reading.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

rads cals are very accurate too. the temp shift when mixing is pretty big, so you could just wait for it to cool back to alcometer calibrated temp and do the reading.
my meter measures in Kg/M3 and i have a chart for temp variations. the chart doesn't help without the right meter tho...i use rads calcs for the ballpark and usually its within drips of being dead on.

does anyone have a formula or process for figuring obfuscated liquors? (like Bailey's for example)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The calculator is flawed. The starting volume has to be added to its addition volume to give you the total volume to aim for.
Craddosk
Novice

Post by Craddosk »

Easiest fix for this is to proof everything by weight. I'll make a post later this week about doing that, but the TTB has tables for it, as does the Canadian Excise Tables.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i find the biggest problem with proof by weight is having a known volume. without accurate lab measurement containers it's all but impossible to get an accurate volume/temp.
most lab equipment is pretty small units to. if you are trying to proof a couple gallons, that's a lot of measuring.

in absence of a great thermometer and kg/m3 hydrometers, your best bet is just use a decent alcometer...after all you don't have to answer to the TTB
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Regardless, we all experience it. Just be glad it does not under proof. You'll eventually throw a little extra water in and sneak up on the number.
Same thing happens to me , always need to add more water to correct the ABV, even after temp correction.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Here’s a cool calc tool for wine. Works well for spirits also and I use it for diluting 16-20 fractions jars down to 10ml 40%abv samples for determining cuts.

Lately I’ve been aging at about 130proof and simply cut 1/3 water to 2/3 spirits for my bottle strength. Works out fine for cocktails :)

Good luck!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

Have a look over here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70913

In the (as of now) latest post i uploaded a tool that does the correct calculation on how much water is needed for dilution.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Benredbeard
Novice

Post by Benredbeard »

Does anyone have an android app they like for dilution/other distillation tools?
Happy bees, home brews, and two green thumbs.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Benredbeard wrote:Does anyone have an android app they like for dilution/other distillation tools?
I gotta' iPhone, but these should work OK:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lute&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... x&hl=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... c&hl=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

How accurate for the compression/expansion of the mixture and various dilutions is undetermined, but the intensity of it is overwhelming, ie - "it's close enough for government work"...or, don't fret the small stuff. You'll get close enough to get a buzz on regardless.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Benredbeard
Novice

Post by Benredbeard »

Cheers Still! Yeah I enjoy details but won't be submitting samples for four decimal point analysis...
Happy bees, home brews, and two green thumbs.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Use any calculator you've got.

Multiply the volume you have by it's abv% to work out how much alcohol you have.
Divide that volume by the abv% you are aiming for to work out what volume to make it up to.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Regardless, we all experience it. Just be glad it does not under proof. You'll eventually throw a little extra water in and sneak up on the number.
Same thing happens to me , always need to add more water to correct the ABV, even after temp correction.
Copperhead road has experienced this phenomena, not such a bad thing though because at least it’s overproof rather than underproof.....just saying

BTW I think the HD dilution calculator is the bomb now I know where to find it, I have just bookmarked this thread for convenience for next time I am proofing down to 65% for the barrel,
Never mistake kindness for weakness....