Will these work

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bourbon_Greg
Novice

Will these work

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

I have skimmed through all of this and my question is about adding boiling water to the Brute trash can fermenters. I have not been able to find any definitive answer in my online searches but most comments are that these cans are only rated to 140F or 180F. Can anyone provide a link to any official site that confirms 212F is OK in these? Also, how about the blue barrels with red lids? Does anyone know the temperature ratings for these?

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Will these work

Post by Expat »

Bourbon_Greg wrote:I have skimmed through all of this and my question is about adding boiling water to the Brute trash can fermenters. I have not been able to find any definitive answer in my online searches but most comments are that these cans are only rated to 140F or 180F. Can anyone provide a link to any official site that confirms 212F is OK in these? Also, how about the blue barrels with red lids? Does anyone know the temperature ratings for these?

Adding hot water to room temperature grains will result in a temp a fair bit lower than boiling. Also, unless you're doing corn, you won't be going anywhere near that high.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Will these work

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

I am doing corn. Corn Grits actually. I find it better to add grits to boiling water instead of water to dry grits, otherwise I get clumps. Water drops to 190 pretty quick but would go into container at 212
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Will these work

Post by jog666 »

Have you tried to contact the company that makes the barrel? Or a company that sells them?
Bourbon_Greg
Novice

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

Contacted the selling company and they say polyethylene (which is what the blue barrels and I think the Brute cans are also made of) have "filling" temperature of ~160

My biggest concern is leaching plastic. If that happened would the distillation process remove it? Could it flavor the finished product? It seems a lot of people are doing this with the Brutes.
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Bourbon_Greg wrote:Contacted the selling company and they say polyethylene (which is what the blue barrels and I think the Brute cans are also made of) have "filling" temperature of ~160

My biggest concern is leaching plastic. If that happened would the distillation process remove it? Could it flavor the finished product? It seems a lot of people are doing this with the Brutes.
It would seem that the people who should be the experts on the material gave you an answer you did not like so now you have turned to the armchair experts here to give you the answer you do want. You, yourself is responsible for what tolerance you have for using funky materials. People here will use all sorts here when it comes to fermenting, ie non food grade trash cans, non food grade mop buckets, plastic bags, even septic field filter fabric. I have no doubt that someone here will give you the answer you want so why not just go ahead and do it? Personally I would not use a trash can can for fermenting whether I was mashing at a high temp or not. I doubt manufacturing standards are real high for a vessel that is meant for trash.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Food grade barrels are usually HDPE or high density polyethylene.
Here's some info about pe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene
I've used steam injection mashing corn up to 190f without issues.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Or just buy one of these and not worry at all? I also checked mcmaster carr, the price is higher but they have more sizes & options.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

For investment purposes, how about one of these fermenters ? If it only had an integral water jacket....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

still_stirrin wrote:For investment purposes, how about one of these fermenters ? If it only had an integral water jacket....
ss
Wow that's a lot of $$ for a 18 gal tank

OVZ