Lowe’s Buckets and lids for fermenting

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Still Water Run Deep
Novice

Lowe’s Buckets and lids for fermenting

Post by Still Water Run Deep »

Have any of you used the white “food grade” 5-gallon buckets with lids for fermenting wash after drilling the hole for the airlock bung? Do they keep a good seal?
May Your Still Waters Run Deep

Justin
30xs
Swill Maker

Re: Lowe’s Buckets and lids for fermenting

Post by 30xs »

I haven’t used those particular ones, but they should be fine. Many ferment in a brute garbage can. The fermenting vessel being airtight isn’t as important as shielding it from insects and drafts that would cause the CO2 layer on top from being disturbed.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I have used them for a few years now (started in the brew hobby) They don't seal too bad as long as they keep the bugs and stray yeast out. There is enough internal co2 pressure to keep them breathing in the right direction. I have had secondary ferments in them for a couple weeks or so with no issues. They are no different than the brew buckets you would buy at the brewing store except they are 5 gallon and not 6 gallon like the brew store buckets are. Hell, the old moonshiners (and probably many here just cover the buckets with a towel and let it breathe.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

I still use buckets. Pay attention to the tightness of the lids going on. I have a few bucket & lid combos that wont seal for shit while the rest will be water tight.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

If I need an airtight seal I wrap mine with the stretch plastic you use in packaging like this https://www.uline.ca/BL_5401/Goodwrappers but usually, you don't need to do that unless you want to watch your airlock gurgle.
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

I use home depot buckets which are food grade or Walmart has food grade buckets cheaper both they sold lids for. They are bubbling like crazy through the airlock, so I guess the seal is tight enough. But others are correct some buckets lid seal starts getting worn after on/off a bunch and they do not seal as well. But mine have lasted for wine and beer for about 30 - 50 batches. They are $5 for bucket and lid so I toss them and buy new.

Here is a way to tell if food grade.

https://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
StuNY
Bootlegger

Post by StuNY »

I think most of us carry over a lot of unnecessary habits from brewing beer! No airlocks necessary here, everything is going to be boiled twice later anyway! I ferment in 32 gal Brutes now and they are a lot better/cheaper than the locking buckets I used before. Lid just kind of snaps on and all works fine. The grain cap drops when it is done.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

StuNY wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 am I think most of us carry over a lot of unnecessary habits from brewing beer! No airlocks necessary here, everything is going to be boiled twice later anyway! I ferment in 32 gal Brutes now and they are a lot better/cheaper than the locking buckets I used before. Lid just kind of snaps on and all works fine. The grain cap drops when it is done.
+1 on this statement.. just keep simple..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

StuNY wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 am I think most of us carry over a lot of unnecessary habits from brewing beer! No airlocks necessary here, everything is going to be boiled twice later anyway! I ferment in 32 gal Brutes now and they are a lot better/cheaper than the locking buckets I used before. Lid just kind of snaps on and all works fine. The grain cap drops when it is done.
I lost my lids a decade ago. I just ferment open top. In the summer I'll throw an old table cloth or something over a couple of Brutes to keep flys out. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Stob
Novice

Post by Stob »

I use the Lowes food grade buckets. I just lay the lid on top the bucket. Rarely does a bug find a way inside, but it has happened. He died happy.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I've tried all these . Settled in on what is foolproof for me . 32 gallon Brute lined with a 50 gallon clear trash bag .2# to the gallon AG mash with liquid enzymes cooked in a separate pot . (You can mash in at a higher , like 3 1/2#/gallon and add water after in the Brute .)
Pitch yeast when the mash cols to the desired temp .
Stretch another clear 50 gallon trash bag over the top of the Brute . Punch 3 pencil lead size holes in the bag well above the rim of the Brute for a vent so the top bag doesn't blow off .
You can watch what is going on all the time .
When the ferment is done the top bag will fold over and preserve a co blanket until you are ready to run .
I've left a finished mash for 2 months with no problem until I had time to run .
Cleanup is a breeze . Dip out the mash and run it . Pitch the old bags and install new ones when you have the next mash cooked .
You want the easiest way to get a job done ; you put the laziest man you have in charge .
That be me . Works just as well for sugar heads .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Because my ferments tend to sit for long periods I don't like risking them in large batches so when I run out of carboys I resort to Lowe's 5 gallon food grade buckets since they are fairly cheap and Lowe's is close. I just drill a hole in the lid for an airlock, sanitize, fill it up and lock it down. I have a plum ferment that has been in one for a year and a half with no issues. This year I wound up with 15 gallons of apple cider vinegar by throwing towels over the buckets and not racking to an airlocked container fast enough.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

should'a been nice vinegar.

Geoff
The Baker
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The Baker wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:57 pm should'a been nice vinegar.

Geoff
It was getting there before I chucked it all in the boiler to salvage what I could. I like to get some vinegar every year but not 15 gallons of it :roll:
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Stob wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:29 am I use the Lowes food grade buckets. I just lay the lid on top the bucket. Rarely does a bug find a way inside, but it has happened. He died happy.
That's funny right there. I've seen a couple of those bugs in my wine making days...
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Firehouse Pickle buckets are $2 and $ goes to charity.

They have been cleaned with vinegar & garlic when you get them.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005