One large ferment Vs multiple small ferments

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: One large ferment Vs multiple small ferments

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:30 am
Durhommer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 am Screenshot_20201031-074714_Chrome.jpg
I found this n Amazon could I use this by itself or do I still need a controller
I had the seed mat already, I purchased the Inkbird because I read about them on here. You need a submersible temperature probe to drop in the mash. The inkbird aquarium heater controller fits the bill.
So itll work with an aquarium heater good because my wineos wash is sitting at 1060 and it's been on for a week I need to get something to keep my fermenting warm the blankets and insulation aren't enough in my basement
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:37 am
I found this n Amazon could I use this by itself or do I still need a controller
I had the seed mat already, I purchased the Inkbird because I read about them on here. You need a submersible temperature probe to drop in the mash. The inkbird aquarium heater controller fits the bill.
So itll work with an aquarium heater good because my wineos wash is sitting at 1060 and it's been on for a week I need to get something to keep my fermenting warm the blankets and insulation aren't enough in my basement
I use this, and a germination heating mat, wrapping the fermenter in reflectix and blankets as needed depending on how cold the garage gets.
Screenshot_20201031-093927_Chrome.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I saw that on there I'll be ordering it asap
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you try an aquarium heater without agitation, run your hand over your fermenter feeling for a cold layer.

Heat rises, so I always heat from below the vessel.

Most of my effort is put into cutting heat loss, rather than heating, so that the amount of heating needed is very small and is often only supplied by the yeast.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Screenshot_20201031-162329_Chrome.jpg
Would this keep my ferment warm with or without the inkbird
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:42 am
Durhommer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:37 am
I use this, and a germination heating mat, wrapping the fermenter in reflectix and blankets as needed depending on how cold the garage gets.Screenshot_20201031-093927_Chrome.jpg
Just ordered the inkbird and the aquarium heater itll be here monday
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

NZChris wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:06 pm If you try an aquarium heater without agitation, run your hand over your fermenter feeling for a cold layer.

Most of my effort is put into cutting heat loss, rather than heating, so that the amount of heating needed is very small and is often only supplied by the yeast.
So I ordered the inkbird aquarium heater controller and an aquarium heater should this work ok if I put it in the bottom of the barrel? I'm new to this winter fermenting thing or should I return the aquarium heater and get the seed mat like deplorable does my last house I could ferment in the living room!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:31 am
NZChris wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:06 pm If you try an aquarium heater without agitation, run your hand over your fermenter feeling for a cold layer.

So I ordered the inkbird aquarium heater controller and an aquarium heater should this work ok if I put it in the bottom of the barrel? I'm new to this winter fermenting thing or should I return the aquarium heater and get the seed mat like deplorable does my last house I could ferment in the living room!
I read enough misfortune on here to decide against heating AG ferments with aquarium heaters. Maybe a sugar wash...
Aside from grains scorching to the heater, the idea of putting a cheap heating element into a liquid makes me nervous. Make sure its plugged in to a GFI outlet.
If your blue drum is what you're heating, get the seed mat and set the drum on it. I tape mine to the side because my brute is on a Brute dolly.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I only planned on using it for sugar wash.when I can I'll order the seed mat.....I just ordered it
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 am
Durhommer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:31 am

I read enough misfortune on here to decide against heating AG ferments with aquarium heaters. Maybe a sugar wash...
Aside from grains scorching to the heater, the idea of putting a cheap heating element into a liquid makes me nervous. Make sure its plugged in to a GFI outlet.
If your blue drum is what you're heating, get the seed mat and set the drum on it. I tape mine to the side because my brute is on a Brute dolly.
So I got the seed mat ordered any certain way I'm supposed to use it I mean I read your suggestions so it's that simple plug the mat into the control set temp put probe in mash
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yup. I took a few inches of 14g copper wire, and coiled it around the wire from the top of the probe, to add some weight so it wont float, and stick the suction cup to the lid of my Brute so the probe is suspended in the middle of the mash. I set the temperature for the center of the yeast's happy range, and program hte heater to come on if it drops more than 3 degrees below set value.

Remember that your yeast will make its own heat for the first few days, so what I have learned works for me is to drop the mash to pitching temperature, pitch the yeast and let it get to work. The temp will rise on its own for the first few days, so I dont wrap the fermenter until the temp begins to get close to the SV on the inkbird. Then wrap the fermenter in reflectix and a wool blanket, and put another folded wool blanket on the lid. Once the temp drops enough the heat mat will easily maintain the temp of the mash in my garage. If it gets so ungodly cold that it doesnt, I'll add a 2nd heat mat. I doubt You will need to since your can sit your flat bottom fermenter right on top of the mat. Heat rises, so as long as your heat mat isnt sandwiched between a cold concret floor and the fermenter, you should be good to go. Put an inch or two of wood or foam insulation between the cement and your heat mat. It gets ungodly cold where you are. Not like here.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I'm just trying to heat a mash back up to working temp it's up off the ground so I'll do as suggested thanks for the walk thru of your process. Usually I can get thru a wineos wash ferment in a week this one got cold on me we had a snow day and a week of 30s and 40s it started at 1080 and in a week is at 1060 and a temp of 60! Way too cold for bakers yeast
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If I'm in a hurry to get a wash up to temperature, I use a couple of stainless steel 300W aquarium heaters and agitate the wash while I'm doing it. I never leave them in the wash for the ferment.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok my inkbird control came today my seed mat comes tomorrow
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

NZChris wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:24 pm If I'm in a hurry to get a wash up to temperature, I use a couple of stainless steel 300W aquarium heaters and agitate the wash while I'm doing it. I never leave them in the wash for the ferment.
Ok once I get it warming up should these yeast come back on or do I need to repitch
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Durhommer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:47 pm
NZChris wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:24 pm If I'm in a hurry to get a wash up to temperature, I use a couple of stainless steel 300W aquarium heaters and agitate the wash while I'm doing it. I never leave them in the wash for the ferment.
Ok once I get it warming up should these yeast come back on or do I need to repitch
Check your pH.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

NZChris wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:44 pm
Durhommer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Check your pH.
Ph is 4.8 and in 3 days its went from 1060 to 1050 so it's just cold right?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201103_163302.jpg
Seed mat and controller both here now time to install
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201103_172511.jpg
20201103_172529.jpg
All set up and wrapped up now I wait... deplorable how long does this mat take to do work
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

How big is that mat?
Wrap some blankets around that barrel.
You'll likely have a wait, they're good for maintaining temps, but I've never had to raise one from the dead
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

The mat is 10x20" and on 28 gallon I figured I wont get the results I'm hoping for the bakers yeast is at 71.9 degrees so its eating just slow as all get out anyway I figured I'll have to slug this one out and just add more insulation next round so it's not dead just retarded if you will
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Put a couple of bottles (stoppers on) filled with fairly hot water in the ferment?

Geoff
The Baker
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

The Baker wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:07 pm Put a couple of bottles (stoppers on) filled with fairly hot water in the ferment?

Geoff
Instinct told me that but I didnt listen been watching this presidential circus on the ol boob tube
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Wrap that barrel up. I’ve got two sleeping bags around mine today.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20201103_181630.jpg
NZChris wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:36 pm Wrap that barrel up. I’ve got two sleeping bags around mine today.
20201103_181645.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

:thumbup: That looks much better.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:59 pm 20201103_181630.jpg
NZChris wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:36 pm Wrap that barrel up. I’ve got two sleeping bags around mine today.
20201103_181645.jpg
Do your children know what their sleeping bags are doing? Hahaha
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My children are old enough to appreciate the numerous types of products that are made in my shed :D
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

It's maintaining temp ...
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

The temp has risen and the ferment is going strong again