Barrel aging in a Patio Table

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kmmuellr
Novice

Barrel aging in a Patio Table

Post by kmmuellr »

Crazy idea I had, and I don't know if its been done or is ridiculous.

My thought was to build a patio table out of an freshly emptied bourbon barrel (full sized). Basically a vertical barrel w/ a glass top and stick it on my back porch which gets full sun from the first thing in the morning until around 6pm in the summer. Much less sun during the winter, since I'm in southeast Michigan. Major temperature fluctuations (-10F to 100F, winter to summer; daily extremes up to 30 degrees sometimes.)

Plan would be to go crazy making bourbon and fill the barrel, and then just let it sit outside on the patio. Pull a bottle or two out periodically when I make a new batch and re-fill w/ fresh white. Kind of a solera batch of whiskey, aged in the outdoors of Michigan. At this point lets discount how difficult generating this much whiskey would be, I'm sure I can get a buddy to help.

Good idea, bad idea? Really stupid, bad idea?

Assuming a full barrel, would it leak over time if I kept it full? The only protection from the elements would be a glass top, would it dry out the staves to much?

What could possibly go wrong?!?

K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Barrel aging in a Patio Table

Post by still_stirrin »

A “freshly emptied bourbon barrel” is a biiiiiggg vessel. That would be a lot of bourbon to make...and ultimately, to drink. Cheers.
And they’re heavy too. Make sure you put it where you want it to stay. Moving a full cask is a PiTA.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Well, I’ll give you credit. it’s ambitious. However here are some logistical thoughts.

You probably need to fill it at one shot. Otherwise the staves will dry out above fluid level and it will leak. So that means storing a shite ton of carboys—somewhere else. If life or SWMBO gets the honey-do list too long there could be a serious delay. Depending on current fermentation sizes, that is a fair amount of end-to-end batches. So I’ll just say you should be fully committed to a several month project. Family has a way of cheering you on until they all realize you’re busy—all the time. Don’t count on ongoing help. They disappear into thin air after the novelty wears off. And to top the list, the Angels Share will probably be very large. Out in the sun on the deck it’s gonna get hot.

Would I attempt it—probably not. But I’m not you.
Would I use one for a table—absolutely. Cool idea.

Have fun with it
J
If in doubt leave it out.
kmmuellr
Novice

Post by kmmuellr »

Jstroke wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:06 am Well, I’ll give you credit. it’s ambitious. However here are some logistical thoughts.

You probably need to fill it at one shot. Otherwise the staves will dry out above fluid level and it will leak. So that means storing a shite ton of carboys—somewhere else. If life or SWMBO gets the honey-do list too long there could be a serious delay. Depending on current fermentation sizes, that is a fair amount of end-to-end batches. So I’ll just say you should be fully committed to a several month project. Family has a way of cheering you on until they all realize you’re busy—all the time. Don’t count on ongoing help. They disappear into thin air after the novelty wears off. And to top the list, the Angels Share will probably be very large. Out in the sun on the deck it’s gonna get hot.

Would I attempt it—probably not. But I’m not you.
Would I use one for a table—absolutely. Cool idea.

Have fun with it
J
Totally fair comments, and I agree 100%! I've worked w/ home brew clubs and filled recently emptied barrels w/ beer. Way easier than filling by myself w/ whiskey!

Maybe I'll do a 10 or 15 gal barrel and stick it inside a full barrel on the porch. Might be a more easily completed project!

K
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

It’s all I can do when working on filling my 5G cask. Works out to over a dozen ferments & runs. I’m retired and it still takes me 6 months to a year at best. But I’m more than okay with this situation. My 5G pot & cask keep me well within hobby limits and provide plenty of sipping material in the process. Good luck!

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:22 pm It’s all I can do when working on filling my 5G cask. Works out to over a dozen ferments & runs. I’m retired and it still takes me 6 months to a year at best.
🎱
+1

I do 13gal mashes, and I just completed my 9th and final strip run on my way to filling a five gallon barrel. This job has been six months what with COVID, still-building and life.

What could go wrong is you mortgage your soul to fill any larger size barrel and you're not crazy about the final product.

Just sayin'.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

That would be a really cool table though.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Not an endeavor that I would undertake.
But what I would do is fill a 5 gallon and put it at the end of an outdoor bar on a covered deck.
I worked nonstop, for 8 to 10 weeks with a 32 gallon brute and a 13 gallon still to fill a 5 gallon cask with single malt.
I'm not going to attempt another 5 gallon barrel filling until I see how this one turns out. (Famous last words)
But don't let me stand in the way of your ambitions. Best of luck, and may you live long enough to get it filled, aged, and consumed.
I dont think there is a hobbyist on this site that has filled more than a 15 gallon cask. (I'm sure the pros with a DSP# on here have.)
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive just finished filling a 25 us gal barrel, its a lot of distilling and is as big as I will ever fill.
20210106_145126.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

No matter what you decide keep it away from prying eyes and under lock and key.
be water my friend
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:55 pm Ive just finished filling a 25 us gal barrel, its a lot of distilling and is as big as I will ever fill.
20210106_145126.jpg
Damn. :wtf:
Impressive stash!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
kmmuellr
Novice

Post by kmmuellr »

Thanks for everyone's input!!

K
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I personally wouldn’t sit it in direct sunlight. Heat is ok. Temp swings are needed. But direct sun would be way to much heat. I bet the angels would love you for it though.

It would also be hard to keep the staves that are on top from drying out and separating and or leaking. It would need to be turned regularly.

Put it in a shed or a barn and forget about it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.