Mash Corn meal in 2 stages, overnight?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

haeffnkr
Novice

Mash Corn meal in 2 stages, overnight?

Post by haeffnkr »

Hi,
Short question...
Can I successfully mash cornmeal in 2 stages. Like add 5 gallons of 190ish water ( you tell me the temp...) let it sit overnight and then add the corn/water to more water and barley and mash it like a homebrew beer at 140-150 F to get the sugar out of the corn and barley?

Long story....
I have a homebrew process where I mash my barley in my mash tun with a bag and false bottom, run the clear wort back into the boil kettle and make great beer. Soon as I start the boil I start the still beer.
I then have been adding a few more pounds of 2 row to the existing mash tun, lots of water, and re mashing to get the left over sugars out of the first batch of grain while adding a few new sugars to the wort. I then run out the 2nd runnings of clear wort, add sugar and make good still beer. Up to now this has all been barley and sugar, no corn. Good good whiskey.... but not like a bourbon.. I like mine better than bourbons... anyway...

I want to try and add corn, easily to my setup and not take up any more time in my double mash process.
LIke I asked first... how so mash the corn meal sugar? if I just dump raw corn meal and barely into the MT and start mashing at 140 up to 150ish I wont extract the corn meal sugar right? so can I gelantinze the corn by adding hot water to it the night before and then dumping that corn/water mix on top of my barley, some new barley and mash it all in one pot like I have been? I have an electric setup I can hold /ramp any temps I want in the MT.

Using flaked corn would be soooooo much simpler but at twice the price of corn meal. Is there more or less sugar extracted out of a pound of flaked corn vs corn meal? That would change the cost factor if flaked is more efficient and more sugar. The extra work to use and heat the corn meal vs dumping flaked corn in the MT is also a cost/time factor.

thanks in advance
haeffnkr
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mash Corn meal in 2 stages, overnight?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Yes. Look up large batch corn mash. Basically mix boiling water and corn in large hdpe barrel. Insulate barrel. When it drops to 150’ish add malts to convert. It can take 12-24hrs to drop temp depending.

Cheers!
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Jimbo's 1/2-Barrel bourbon and gumballhead uses an overnight rest: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=39617
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
haeffnkr
Novice

Post by haeffnkr »

thanks for the responses on mashing corn overnight !!!

What about the sugar points per pound of flaked vs corn meal (grits)?
My brew recipe calculator says flaked corn has almost 3 times the sugar per pound of corn grits?

Is this correct?

thanks haeffnkr

Attachments
image.png
Triplequad
Novice

Post by Triplequad »

Watching
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Flaked corn is pre-processsed, steamed and flaked so it's already gelatinized and mashes easily. Corn meal has just as much potential, but if you just dump in in a mash, some of its potential carbohydrate content isn't easily available. Cooking it, or dumping boiling water on it and keeping it hot for an extended period using high temp enzymes will get you close to flaked, pound per pound, but I don't think I get quite as much typically.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

haeffnkr wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 pm...My brew recipe calculator says flaked corn has almost 3 times the sugar per pound of corn grits? Is this correct?
Haefnkr,

I suggest using the calculator for the 1st ferment and measuring your extract potential (measured OG compared to the calculated OG). Then, adjust your %brew house efficiency” for the 2nd ferment. Again, measure actual and calculated OG’s and readjust your efficency. By the time you’ve done the recipe 3 or 4 or more times, you’ll know what the extract potential will be for the corn meal using the calculator and your processes (which can and will vary).

Your calculator must have a factor added for the inefficiency to extract from whole/cracked and milled corn. But, as I’ve explained, you can adjust for that by “trial & error”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K