Butterscotch Rye

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Butterscotch Rye

Post by Getsmokin »

Any chemistry buffs out there want to take a stab at this. I have a 55 rye 45 corn finished and proofed to barrel entry, sitting in glass waiting for a barrel. After sitting for about a month, I had a taste and it is straight up sweet butterscotch candy with a hint of the rye mint in the background. All through the process there were no signs of extra high diacetyl, especially after final cuts and proofing. At proofing was tons of pepper and pretty strong mint, not much else to pick out at that point. Honestly it's pretty tasty, but out of place for a rye whiskey. I am interested if anyone could point me in the direction of pathways for this to develop (to make repeatable/ or not)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Butterscotch Rye

Post by still_stirrin »

How “dry” was the ferment?

“Butterscotch” indicates caramel in the flavor profile, and that would be from sugar caramelizing under heat.

Here, look a this flavor wheel:
flavor wheel
flavor wheel
“Minty” suggest vegetal and that could be from the rye husks. I’m assuming it was feed store crimped rye here. Am I right?

And the “pepper” notes when it was young are also rye flavor descriptors. Not uncommon at all.

Just trying to bring you home.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Getsmokin
Swill Maker

Re: Butterscotch Rye

Post by Getsmokin »

still_stirrin wrote:How “dry” was the ferment?

“Butterscotch” indicates caramel in the flavor profile, and that would be from sugar caramelizing under heat.

Finished at .995 with a couple extra days to clean up. Everything was steam cooked and stripped. Used whole cereal rye from a local farmer. The thing is there was nothing resembling butterscotch until a month after finishing and proofing.
I consider mint and pepper normal unmalted rye flavors.