Novel way to grind my malt

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dozingdruid
Novice

Novel way to grind my malt

Post by Dozingdruid »

Sorry no pictures. It broke before I got a chance :oops:

So here's me, just malted a huge batch of corn, struggled with the drying process, but eventually I'm sitting with +-50kg of malted corn and no way to grind it. My friend knows an old guy with a hammer mill, but I never get around to him. Tried using a twiste-blender thing. One of those with the flat bottoms, with 3or4 blades on a central shaft, with the motor on the top... you know which ones I'm talking about. It works to some degree, but its noisy as all hell and I'm worried it might damage the blades.

So a little inspiration from those horror movies where people get chopped up by boat propellers and noticing that the malt gets very soft after standing in water for half an hour:

Macgyver a magafter to attach the bladed shaft to the drill, fill some buckets half full with malt, cover with water maybe a little more than an inch over the malt, soak 30 minutes, maybe longer. Feel the corn, it feels soft and one can just about crush it between your fingers. Stick the blades into the bucket and let her RIP! SLOWLY... start very slow and increase speed gradually. At first it looks like nothings happening and then you start to see the first husks and chunks floating to the surface.

A few notes though:
make sure its centered, a slightly off center alignment can cause an off balance drill, which vibrates a LOT and can cause more grain to go flying than getting chopped.
Not sure if it'll work with all grains though, corn malt works (I'm assuming) cause the husk is already broken by the acrospire and it readily soaks up water again and goes soft.
Don't use the wife's twister unless you planning on buying her a new one :lolno:
BE CAREFUL!!! this hobby is quite dangerous as it is without adding open spinning blades to the mix. There's no guard, no safety... fully submerge the blades in the bucket before starting up the drill. We have 10 fingers because we need 10 fingers, they're not considered "spares" (moment for anyone who lost some in an accident)

Hopefully someone in a tight spot might learn from this, there's more ways that one to skin a cat.
Distilling, gaming, woodworking, welding, electronics... I swear if I get one more hobby I'm going to have to quit my job.
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Novel way to grind my malt

Post by jward »

I wondered about hitting some cooked up corn with a heavy duty immersion blender.
https://www.amazon.com/Waring-Commercia ... B001CDTN0W
Only makes sense to me if I already had one. Then again maybe it could double as a trolling motor....lol
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I malt small quantities, use the mill that I built with a washing machine motor (the induction type), it is the roller type and I built the chain drive. The motor of the washing machines doesn't have much torque but I can easily grind the malt .... it must have adjustable rollers. I believe some kind of mill is essential if you make your own malt.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Be careful with your wet malt: it has a short shelf life. Also, while you can certainly mash green malt, the amount, type and effectiveness of the enzymes in malt are all controlled by how it is first dried, then cured (kilned). You're obviously skilled at improvising, but proper malting techniques can't be jury-rigged.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:38 pm Be careful with your wet malt: it has a short shelf life. Also, while you can certainly mash green malt, the amount, type and effectiveness of the enzymes in malt are all controlled by how it is first dried, then cured (kilned). You're obviously skilled at improvising, but proper malting techniques can't be jury-rigged.
I understand, but the malt was dried and all before storage and the soak. I did the malting process as best I could. The "immersion blender" technique was only after it was completely dry (sun-dried with fan-assisted wind)
Demy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:55 pm I malt small quantities, use the mill that I built with a washing machine motor (the induction type), it is the roller type and I built the chain drive. The motor of the washing machines doesn't have much torque but I can easily grind the malt .... it must have adjustable rollers. I believe some kind of mill is essential if you make your own malt.

That's very cool Demy. A mill is definitely on my wish list, although I might lean more in the hammer-mill direction :think: mainly because I'm not sure what to use as rollers, what did you use for rollers?
Distilling, gaming, woodworking, welding, electronics... I swear if I get one more hobby I'm going to have to quit my job.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Dozingdruid wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:29 pm
Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:38 pm Be careful with your wet malt: it has a short shelf life. Also, while you can certainly mash green malt, the amount, type and effectiveness of the enzymes in malt are all controlled by how it is first dried, then cured (kilned). You're obviously skilled at improvising, but proper malting techniques can't be jury-rigged.
I understand, but the malt was dried and all before storage and the soak. I did the malting process as best I could. The "immersion blender" technique was only after it was completely dry (sun-dried with fan-assisted wind)
Demy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:55 pm I malt small quantities, use the mill that I built with a washing machine motor (the induction type), it is the roller type and I built the chain drive. The motor of the washing machines doesn't have much torque but I can easily grind the malt .... it must have adjustable rollers. I believe some kind of mill is essential if you make your own malt.

That's very cool Demy. A mill is definitely on my wish list, although I might lean more in the hammer-mill direction :think: mainly because I'm not sure what to use as rollers, what did you use for rollers?
The initial idea was to use something stainless ... due to the difficulty of finding pieces I used galvanized pipes filled with concrete and capped on the sides. Then I further modified the rollers using automotive ball bearings which are all steel, I simply scratched them with the grinder. This is what I have been able to do with the tools I have. If you have a lathe the thing is simpler, I had to make do. I have another type of mill (always built with a washing machine motor), I don't know if it's the type you say but it has an impeller that hits the grains, it is especially useful for producing small quantities of flour.I took some photos on the fly .. this is the roller version
20210128_153853.jpg
this is the hammer version (assuming it is the right term ...)
20210128_154256.jpg
20210128_154438.jpg
20210128_154326.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks good Demy, I tried to do something similar by modifying a rock tumbler but the motor was too small.
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Look very nice demy. I'm green with envy :mrgreen:
:think: what's the little rough holey plate for?
Yep that's a hammer mill alright, not the best design I've seen, but it's a damn site better than what i have. :crazy:

Bushman, a washing machine motor and a few bicycle sprockets or a few car pulleys and a fan belt should sort out that issue for you. All free at most dump sites if you're willing to scratch a bit :ebiggrin:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Dozingdruid wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:48 am Look very nice demy. I'm green with envy :mrgreen:
:think: what's the little rough holey plate for?
Yep that's a hammer mill alright, not the best design I've seen, but it's a damn site better than what i have. :crazy:

Bushman, a washing machine motor and a few bicycle sprockets or a few car pulleys and a fan belt should sort out that issue for you. All free at most dump sites if you're willing to scratch a bit :ebiggrin:
The perforated disc is a kind of "grater". There is also a blade tool although I have never used it, just tried it. I wanted something simple and "multifunction" ... the classic hammer design with many blades free to move (I guess what you mean) requires a very powerful motor, it also requires excellent balance and must be very heavy otherwise the centrifugal force will it will fly ... that's why I chose this path with minimal design! It works perfectly, I made flour from corn, barley, wheat etc ... Of course it is for small quantities ..... if you have to grind huge quantities the design is fine but the proportions change and therefore the washing machine motor is no longer suitable.
20210128_154146.jpg
These grids are for adjusting the fineness of the product
20210128_154237.jpg
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

That’s pretty cool Demy. You imagineered a functional mill from spare parts and the tools you have. My Dad was good at making things with what he had around the farm. He passed his spirit of do it yourself on to me. I sure enjoy seeing guys going things like this.

Great build! Thanks for posting.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Demy is a modern day MacGyver!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Bushman wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:30 am Demy is a modern day MacGyver!
I confess that years ago I watched that TV series with pleasure ... lately it has been revived in a modern key but it has nothing to do with the original. About me well ..... out of necessity .... virtue! :lol: