Stainless Steel storage

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Triplequad
Novice

Stainless Steel storage

Post by Triplequad »

Are there any issues storing spirits in stainless steel vessels?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Stainless Steel storage

Post by Saltbush Bill »

None that I know of.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

The price.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't think there can be problems, if we use them with alcohol at a high temperature there are no problems with low temperatures even if the times are longer.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I just purchased one of these 10L SS growlers for aging/storage. I've also got a 3.78L one that I get filled at the local growler filling station. SWMBO says I can't use the small one to age booze, so I thought I'd just get a bigger one to try out. 1 or 2 oak sticks toasted and charred, cut 3/4" square and 20" long should be about perfect.
ageing keg.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:31 am I just purchased one of these 10L SS growlers for aging/storage. I've also got a 3.78L one that I get filled at the local growler filling station. SWMBO says I can't use the small one to age booze, so I thought I'd just get a bigger one to try out. 1 or 2 oak sticks toasted and charred, cut 3/4" square and 20" long should be about perfect.
ageing keg.jpg
I replaced the red o-ring on mine with PTFE.
be water my friend
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I have one 1/6 bbl ss keg that I would like to setup as a simplified aging reactor with a means to heat and aerate the contents. Should be fairly easy to accomplish with a few simple components.

Posted with cob.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cob wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:02 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:31 am I just purchased one of these 10L SS growlers for aging/storage. I've also got a 3.78L one that I get filled at the local growler filling station. SWMBO says I can't use the small one to age booze, so I thought I'd just get a bigger one to try out. 1 or 2 oak sticks toasted and charred, cut 3/4" square and 20" long should be about perfect.
ageing keg.jpg
I replaced the red o-ring on mine with PTFE.
Yep. That's the plan. Don't really need much on there either unless you plan to store it on its side. They're a great little growler, and if you have the tap head for them they're even better.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I use the 1/6 as well
Delloman
Novice

Post by Delloman »

I did my last muti batch run of UJSSM in a stanless steel 16 gallon drum from Bubba barrels I have a 26g milk can and a 4 in plate still. It worked but I did not use the oak spirals I should have.
Last edited by Delloman on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Check out the Badmotivator barrels.
https://badmotivatorbarrels.com/shop
Feel free to search Badmotivators posts here, too.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:31 am I just purchased one of these 10L SS growlers for aging/storage.

Is that a ManCan ? If so, is that opening adapatable to a tri-clamp fitting ? If not, is it a standard sized thread ?

I'm thinking that the 1 gallon size might make a nice little gin still.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

check to see if it is seamless, anything with a weld I would not use for long term storage - some of those growlers are seamed
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

greggn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:22 am
Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:31 am I just purchased one of these 10L SS growlers for aging/storage.

Is that a ManCan ? If so, is that opening adapatable to a tri-clamp fitting ? If not, is it a standard sized thread ?

It's off topic for this thread but for a 1 gallon size gin still, airstills are hard to beat I think... at least for the turnkey solution vs price. I'm in Canada and I just ordered one from Vevor @ 135CAD (even minus a 5$ rebate) for the 750W model with settable temperature and double display (request and actual Temp). At that price I think it's worth the shot plus I'll be able to easily distill small quantity of water to adjust the final ABV of my products.

EDIT: It works on 220V
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

It's not a branded Man Can, but it is the same standard thread s. My man can tap threads right in. It's also seamless. It's currently got 10 liters of 94% in it. That's compact storage for a hell of a lot of 80 proof vodka. I'm always watching on line deals for another at a fair price.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Re: A 1 gallon keg boiler. That would be cute. I’d love to see it.

I made a mini boiler out of a 2.5 gallon keg and it works well, but for gin the minimum volume of around 1.5 liters was still a bit too much for my needs so I made an even smaller rig later. I still use my original mini boiler for other small batch and repair runs. If your interested in seeing that build: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=73642

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

OtisT wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm

Re: A 1 gallon keg boiler. That would be cute. I’d love to see it.

I made a mini boiler out of a 2.5 gallon keg and it works well, but for gin the minimum volume of around 1.5 liters was still a bit too much for my needs so I made an even smaller rig later. I still use my original mini boiler for other small batch and repair runs. If your interested in seeing that build: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=73642

Otis
These aren't really suited for that. I wish they were. They have a bottom like a wine bottle, it's not even remotely flat. It rises up in the center about 2.5 to 3 inches.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

These aren't really suited for that. I wish they were. They have a bottom like a wine bottle, it's not even remotely flat. It rises up in the center about 2.5 to 3 inches.

Just looking at the picture....(Otis's picture too).
Suppose you turned it 'upside down'.

Fit a drain to a modular fitting on the new bottom.

And it should be possible to first fit a modular tee to the bottom;
Stick a short fat element 'modularly' upward in the bottom of the tee;
Fit your drain tap 'modularly' to the sideways part of the tee.
(Mightn't work).

No problem fitting a modular offtake in the (now) top;
or even in the side of the top.

Just thinking....!

Geoff
The Baker