Experienced with these grinders? what works best?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

txcheddar
Novice

Experienced with these grinders? what works best?

Post by txcheddar »

If you have one or both types of these grinders which one do you prefer. Newbie would like to purchase one, not necessarily both, maybe its dependent on the type of grain which one is better than the other. I usually purchase the grain prepared but would like to do my own and I use a fair amount of grain to justify going electric.
image.png
image.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
image.png
Thanks
Bushman
Admin

Re: Experienced with these grinders? what works best?

Post by Bushman »

Not familiar with either of those and not sure of the price. I have a Monster Mill 2 that I am happy with so if your comparing prices you might also check mine out. On a side note they make a Monster Mill 3 but I have heard some negatives in that it has a tendency to stick.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I don't know specifically but I can imagine how they are built. The first is a type of roller (identical to the manual) with a motor, the second seems to be the most suitable type of fine grinding (for example flour). I built both for which they imagine their operation ... for the second one we need to have an internal photo to be sure.
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

The second one is what Yummyrum uses, I believe. I haven’t heard any negatives to the second one. I was between it and the AMA grinder when I ordered mine. I went with AMA just for the collection vessel under the grinder.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I have and use the 2nd example. It’s great...plenty of power for whole corn. Good adjustment on the plates too. The hopper holds about 3 pounds of corn (or any other grains as well).

Only negative is that the attached power cord does not have an on/off switch. But that is very easily circumvented by plugging it into a switched power strip.

Price on ebay is $190USD and included shipping. I received mine in about 5 days after the order.

I also have a (manual) roller mill. I like the roller mill for crushing malt so it doesn’t “pulverize” the grain husks. But the option 2 mill will certainly work for malted barley. I simply prefer the way the roller mill prepares the malt.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

30xs wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:57 am The second one is what Yummyrum uses, I believe.
Naah , not me , but I wish I had one . :ebiggrin:
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:01 pm
30xs wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:57 am The second one is what Yummyrum uses, I believe.
Naah , not me , but I wish I had one . :ebiggrin:
Oops, sorry. It was Stirrin I was thinking of.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If you are wanting to grind corn you want the 2nd option. If you are just crushing malted small grains get the first one.
If I were to buy a dedicated corn machine, I'd spring for the AMA grain ginder mentioned above for no other reason than the catch barrel it comes with.
My roller mill does a great job on barley, wheat, and rye.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 pm If you are wanting to grind corn you want the 2nd option. If you are just crushing malted small grains get the first one.
If I were to buy a dedicated corn machine, I'd spring for the AMA grain ginder mentioned above for no other reason than the catch barrel it comes with.
My roller mill does a great job on barley, wheat, and rye.
Exactly! You (the op) might want a electric motor but those pictured above look a bit overkill. There is a corn grinder Farm Fleet sells that is supposed to work great. There is a lot of information here about grinders and mills.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
txcheddar
Novice

Post by txcheddar »

Lots of great information thanks for sharing your expertise. I think it would be smart to have two grinders.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Since the others use it, I would recommend the second if you intend to grind various cereals, maltati and not, especially the non-malted corn is very difficult to grind on a roller mill. The first, I would choose it only if you mean to grind the malt / small cereals (barley, wheat, oats etc ...).
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

txcheddar wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 am If you have one or both types of these grinders which one do you prefer. Newbie would like to purchase one, not necessarily both, maybe its dependent on the type of grain which one is better than the other. I usually purchase the grain prepared but would like to do my own and I use a fair amount of grain to justify going electric.

image.png

image.png

Thanks
I've got the blue one .Haven't used it a lot but it has done well on corn and Rye that I ran through it .Fairly fast also .For money it cost{$169.00 } Im happy with it .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper