Fermentation temp control

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SV-Distiller
Novice

Fermentation temp control

Post by SV-Distiller »

I have been fermenting in my basement which is normally about 22C/72F. I know that most of the time fermenting works best 26-32C/80-90F depending on what yeast and recipe you are fermenting.

I picked up an Inkbird IPT-2CH WiFi Reptile Thermostat Temperature Controller with 2 Probes and 2 Outlets. I also picked up two 25.4cm x 52.75cm/10" x 20.75" - 20 watt heating mats. I taped the mats to the outside of my fermentation buckets and taped the temp probe on the opposite side of the bucket.

I have used it for the 4 batches and it has been working good. I can about tell when the ferment is completed because the temperature will drop and the mats will not be able to keep it warm.

I may wrap the buckets with part of a thick yoga mat but the temps have been staying even and the heaters are able to warm the buckets up 5.5C/10F degrees in about 12 hours.
Uncle B
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermentation temp control

Post by Uncle B »

I did something similar - rather than the heating mats, I used 100W aquarium heaters suspended in the middle of the fermenter. But the Inkbird Wi-Fi controllers are really pretty awesome.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use this inkbird and a couple wifi cams to keep an eye on it throughout the day.

For heat I've got four heating pads and then wrap in reflectix. Don't really need a cooling circuit much except for when I first pitch yeast about 90*F so I did get a wort chiller that i'll experiment with hooking up to a water reservoir and pump maybe for that first day.

Maintaining about 85*F with bakers really bangs through a ferment in about three to four days very quickly when I pitch a good starter.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

This thread popped up just at the right time. I was just minutes ago looking at heat mats on Amazon. I ferment in my basement which stays fairly cool all year - low 70's in the summer to low 60's in the winter. I have a couple of 20 gallon fermenters, one 32 gallon, and one 55 gallon.

Do you reckon a couple of the mats would be enough for the 55 gallon drum with about 45 gallons of wash inside? Or, maybe 4, or more mats? Is it safe to put insulation over the mats? Any other advice?

I have an Inkbird that looks pretty much like the one j_s linked to in his post. Don't remember the exact model. Figured I would plug all the mats into a power strip and have the one Inkbird control all of them.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 pm I use this inkbird and a couple wifi cams to keep an eye on it throughout the day.

A *couple* wifi cams ?!?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I used inkbird controllers and a 4kw element on 110. Worked well for 110 gal fermenters. I did put the element in the bottom and the thermometer at the top to take advantage of convection to help keep everything mixed.

If heat and thermometer were at the top the ferment would stratify and the bottom would get cold before fermentation was done.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

greggn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:10 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 pm I use this inkbird and a couple wifi cams to keep an eye on it throughout the day.

A *couple* wifi cams ?!?
Well I wanted to watch it while I was at work so one cam over top looking down and a second cam side view uh huh. It’s sorta like watching paint dry but I like it. If I miss anything it records a new file every hour and I can go back and catch up. I can share some vids if you’re interested ;)

Cheers!
-j
————
————
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm I can share some vids if you’re interested ;)

If you have any showing an airlock blowing off the top, or a violent krausen overflowing onto the floor, then sure ... 'cause "misery loves company."

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

greggn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:41 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm I can share some vids if you’re interested ;)

If you have any showing an airlock blowing off the top, or a violent krausen overflowing onto the floor, then sure ... 'cause "misery loves company."
I don't normally use airlocks for primary ferment but I was concerned about the minimal headspace I had left for a sugarhead that was unexpectedly quite frothy and active - I moved about 10 gallons to a secondary brute for a couple days and avoided the mess though I did monitor the cam feeds just in case... With everything wrapped up in reflectix and covered with packing blankets it was pretty boring entertainment TBH... If it had erupted that would be a great addition to either the "What Not To Do" or "My Mistakes" thread :) ...
————
————
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I use the heating bands and a sweater outside external but your temperature has nothing wrong, in fact you get a cleaner product.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

A waterbed heater found at goodwill for $5.00 US has been working fine for years.
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I built an insulated cart for fermenting:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=54259

I heat it with the following aquarium temp control I purchased from eBay:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=25475

I should add that my heat source went from a heater to a lightbulb as that was plenty of heat generated even in the winter. The cart is stored in an outbuilding that I do not heat.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I use a 10 gallon Igloo water cooler under an outdoor pole shelter with no walls for everything. If its cold outside, I use a cool temp yeast like US05 and wrap that cooler with old quilts and blankets. If its hot like right now, I use bakers yeast & FP921 and leave the lid off but have a paint strainer bag in place to keep the flies off it. I try to plan my ferments to match the season: eg, rum & bourbon in the summer, single malts in the fall and winter. Doesn't always work perfect, but it does okay nonetheless. I’d love to have room for a climate controlled box for maintaining a cool ferment though ….
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The ferment provides more than enough heat to keep itself warm as long as you use enough insulation to keep the heat in the can. It's only when you don't that you need to use a heater. Sometimes I use so much insulation that I have to loosen some off and connect a fan to the controller to make sure it doesn't get too hot.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 pm a couple wifi cams to keep an eye on it throughout the day.
Jonnys, what webcam are you using? I have a couple for home security but those are $$$, I've been looking for a cheaper one that doesn't suck for less critical stuff.

Thanks.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

TwoSheds wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 pm a couple wifi cams to keep an eye on it throughout the day.
Jonnys, what webcam are you using? I have a couple for home security but those are $$$, I've been looking for a cheaper one that doesn't suck for less critical stuff.

Thanks.
It’s a tiny little usb charger/nanny cam thing. Micro SD card goes in the back and you set it up for wifi and it just works. Don’t remember where I got them exactly but it was maybe $50 off a silly FB popup ad. I’m a sucker.
AFB867F2-AECF-4140-AA35-735F89C3F15D.jpeg
————
————
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:59 am
TwoSheds wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 am

Thanks.
It’s a tiny little usb charger/nanny cam thing. Micro SD card goes in the back and you set it up for wifi and it just works. Don’t remember where I got them exactly but it was maybe $50 off a silly FB popup ad. I’m a sucker.
AFB867F2-AECF-4140-AA35-735F89C3F15D.jpeg
Nice! I'm sure I can find something similar, if I don't hack together something with a Raspberry Pi first. I've got a couple of those lying around doing nothing.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Demy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 pm I use the heating bands and a sweater outside external but your temperature has nothing wrong, in fact you get a cleaner product.
Pullover, or Cardigan?
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hambone wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 am
Demy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 pm I use the heating bands and a sweater outside external but your temperature has nothing wrong, in fact you get a cleaner product.
Pullover, or Cardigan?
:ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: