Poly Bag

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Poly Bag

Post by Stonecutter »

Clean up would be a breeze if you lined the inside of a brute can with one of these before adding mash. You’d have to cool the mash first.

-Not very cost effective

QWORK 5 Pack 55 Gallon Clear Plastic Drum Liners, Heavy Duty Leak Proof Clear Bucket Liner Bags for Marinating and Brining, Food Grade, BPA Free, 5.5 mil
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Poly Bag

Post by rgreen2002 »

A brew bag allows the liquid in the bag to stay in the fermenter and remove the solids. This allows you to either ferment on the solids or strain them out prior to yeast pitch.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

A guy in my beer club lines his brute with a food safe disposable bag and a sheer shower curtain inside of that as a brew bag, seems to work well as the guy makes excellent beer.
Cheers,
Jon
amh71
Novice

Post by amh71 »

These are pretty cheap if they are available in your area, the manufacturer tells me the HDPE version is good to 80C so fine to mash and ferment in but perhaps not for corn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VXHXMDB
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

rgreen2002 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:13 am A brew bag allows the liquid in the bag to stay in the fermenter and remove the solids. This allows you to either ferment on the solids or strain them out prior to yeast pitch.
Could one not simply lay the poly bag down first and then put the brew bag in? Alas, I think most guys are mashing per the (Syd) Barrett method in the same vessel. Which I think would render the poly bag useless as it would get too hot.

P.S. Holy Shit someone revived this ancient topic :esurprised:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
JerryUStall
Novice

Post by JerryUStall »

Cleaning up can be such a hassle sometimes, so anything that makes it easier gets a thumbs up from me. Cooling the mash before adding it makes sense too. But I totally get what you mean about the cost-effectiveness aspect – sometimes convenience comes with a price tag. Those QWORK Clear Plastic Drum Liners seem like a handy solution though, especially for marinating and brining. Thanks for sharing the tip! Oh, and speaking of poly bags, have you ever looked into Custom Poly Bags? They might come in handy for more tailored solutions.
Last edited by JerryUStall on Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Those poly liners are only 5.5 mil thick. That's only several 1/1,000th inch thick. I've used 15 mil 55 gal drum liners in steel drums and I've accidentally tore holes in them using a drill & mixing paddle. The thinner ones are a lot weaker.

I really like 55 gal poly drums. You can really beat the hell out of them and they don't ding up or rust like steel drums.