Cartridge heater

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

school
Novice

Cartridge heater

Post by school »

I've tried to do my reading but I'm still confused. Considering a 15 gallon milk can boiler from brewhaus. Would love to go electric. Brewhaus has a cartridge heater (linked below) that I'm considering. On their page they say this 1500 W cartridge is sufficient for up to 15 gallons. But from my reading on here people seem to think that volume requires 5000 W. I can't do 220 V where I still so I couldn't make that happen. Would I be way underpowered with the 1500, or is there something about this specific heater that is more efficient and would do the trick? Could I put two in with just a controller on one of them? Thanks, guys.

https://brewhaus.com/still-heater-1500w ... ge-heater/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cartridge heater

Post by Expat »

Heating 15 gallons to the boil with 1500watts would take a really long time. Think 4+ hours, so in that regard I'd say it doesn't work. The risk of getting distracted during that much time is extreme.

There really isn't anything specific to the heating element which would make it more efficient. You can insulated the boiler which will help.

Without 220v your only option would be to use another 110v circuit and add a second 1500watt heater. I did this on my first boiler build, it worked but it was a pain in the ass. Still took around 3 hours. Overall it would have just been easier to run a 220v

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I use two 4500W 220VAC elements on 110VAC. That’s roughly 2200W when running “full power”. It takes me about 90 minutes to get to the “first drops” out of the spout.

The good thing about dual ULWD elements is that the watt density is even further reduced, significantly reducing the possibility of scorching, even with a slightly cloudy wash. I pull power from two separate household circuits, so my keg still can be run just about anywhere.

The cartridge heat element is encapsulated, so it is not exposed as much to the wash. This will further delay the start of boiling. Surface area of the element helps to get the heat from the element to the wash more efficiently...better heat transfer, better performance.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Further to what SS said.

Whatever element you end up running, be sure that the circuit(s) you run off are up to the task. Depending on where you live the electrical code will be different, so stay safe and don't overload a circuit.

For reference, On 110v, 1500watts is 13.6A and 2000watts is 18.2A.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by zed255 »

You could run in the kitchen and use a kitchen split outlet for two 1500W elements (15A circuit), and in some places kitchen outlets are split 20A and can deliver 2000W each for up to 4kW without any special wiring or plugs. The kitchen split could even be run into a junction box using two normal power cables and wired to output 220V to run a 3kW element (or higher if on a 20A split circuit).

You could adapt an electric drier or stove outlet to serve your still. I have dedicated outlets in the basement and garage but also made adapters to run off the stove and drier circuits. Times when the missus wants to assist with stillin' she prefers me to set up in the kitchen and which circuit (drier or stove) I commandeer depends on wether she wants access to the laundry or to be able to cook that day.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've run a 15 gallon pot still on 1500w, It's kinda slow.
Insulation and patients are required. If your planning to drive a column, forget about it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

It depends a lot on how much you have in your boiler .
I generally only 1/2 - 2/3 fill my 15 gal keg and at that size boiler charge 1500 watts will be fine for most spirit runs on the pot still.... In fact maybe a bit too fast . As mentioned ,the heat up time can be an issue and a fast stripping run is also nice . Again 1500W would be bearable on a 8-10 gal run but it would be painfully slow on a full boiler full.
But n reality you’d probably not use a full boiler charge because you need some head room in there to help with puking .

Two elements would be ideal and having one controllable as you suggested is a great idea .

A lot do use the Ultra high density 5500 w elements . Remember that these are 5500 w at 220v but when run on 110v they are only producing 1375w of heat . Thats where a lot of guys use them as they spread the heat as Still_stirrin said and avoid scorching .

So I recon you would be pretty happy if you had two of those 1500watters with one controlled .
Just got to be sure your curcuits can safely supply that .
Check if you have multiple fused outlets in your house . For example I have two power curcuits . I could run one elment off one and the other off the other with an extension cord . Not the best solution but a good work-around to save overloading a single outlet
school
Novice

Post by school »

Thanks, guys. This is way more complicated than I thought. Maybe I’ll just get a better propane burner. Yummyrum, that’s a good point. My current favorite recipe ends up with about eleven gallons to boil so maybe hats doable.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nothing wrong with a gas burner so long as you got plenty of fresh air and a hose on the ready .
Do 90% of my distilling on gas . Just keep your wits about you and your mind and eye on the job .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

You'll need approximately 70 watts per liter (or 240 BTUs per liter) of kettle charge for a one hour heat up time no matter which way you slice it.

You really will want a 4500 or 5500 watt element and a dedicated 220, 230, 240, or 250 volt circuit for a timely heat up if you're not fond of watching the grass grow or paint dry.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i used a 1500w hot plate when i started out. the one thing that is for sure - you won't be tempted to run too fast and spoil the likker. you can make some damn fine booze running low and slow.
maybe try this- propane to get up to speed and when she's hot, continue on with electric. 1500w would make a nice steady spirit run.on a 2" pipe.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

HDNB wrote:i used a 1500w hot plate when i started out. the one thing that is for sure - you won't be tempted to run too fast and spoil the likker. you can make some damn fine booze running low and slow.
maybe try this- propane to get up to speed and when she's hot, continue on with electric. 1500w would make a nice steady spirit run.on a 2" pipe.
I have imagined using a heat exchanger (say a wort chiller or similar??) and using a small pump to circulate hot water from a storage hot water system, to pre-heat.
Possibly a solar HWS or even a heat pump HWS which have a number of advantages.

Just thinking....

Geoff
The Baker