Solid Stove Plates - as a Heat Source (not great IMO)

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Solid Stove Plates - as a Heat Source (not great IMO)

Post by Andrew_90 »

I thought I would get real clever after having built my SCR Controller and build a Simmer Plate for the kitchen for those slow Curries and Stews as my Gas Hob cooks to quickly. This plate could then double up as a heating source for a small prototyping boiler. I had a aluminium colander insert for a pressure cooker that I removed the base from and it became my plate holder, looks ok actually, the ally insert was a perfect size.

I was rather disappointed in the results, the thing works perfectly enough, however due to the thermal mass of the plate, the hysteresis is rather large so making rapid adjustments is really difficult. When you a running a little fast and dial back it takes some time for the effect to come through. I suppose I can learn to use it given my batch size is constant. For Curry it is fine, but for distilling, mmm a bit of a pain to operate.

On my 30L Keg with the 2.7kw element the effect is almost immediate when you dial her back. The element has very little thermal mass so response is way better.

I had considered this but did not think it would be as bad as it is. A spiral element would work better but will not fit the housing.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Solid Stove Plates - as a Heat Source (not great IMO)

Post by NZChris »

I use them without any problems except for their built in over-temperature switch that you have to take care to not trigger.

You don't need a rapid response unless you haven't been watching your still and have made a mistake.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Ah, good to know.

It was on start-up and I could not reign her back as quickly as I wanted. After that is was OK I suppose, not as responsive as I would like though.

Will give her another run when I have some neutral.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Use those plates regularly on small lots, if you learn to drive them are perfect. We had the same idea, I built the base from an old aluminum pan. I have one running right now and I have a small one for other uses. A tip: Create openings below to avoid heat accumulation.
20210308_134041.jpg
20210308_134108.jpg
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Yes, great tip. will definitely put holes around the perimeter. I was on a stainless steel table and it discoloured.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Wouldn't your boiler require a flat bottom to transfer the heat efficiently? I have a one flat bottom boiler and two boilers with a rounded bottom.
quite4
Novice

Post by quite4 »

This is similar to what I am trying to build now.
Are you using the voltage controller to better controle the temperature? I intended to just use the mini-stove's wheel - 1, 2 or 3.
But using the voltage controller seems like a better idea.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

quite4 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 am This is similar to what I am trying to build now.
Are you using the voltage controller to better control the temperature? I intended to just use the mini-stove's wheel - 1, 2 or 3.
No, you can't use the built in controls; its an infinity temperature switch so it will cycle on and off. Understand that you cannot control a still by boiler temp.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by quite4 »

The things you learn.. makes sense if you think about it.
I'll get a voltage controller.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

It might be good to read and learn some more on HD, before you go further. Know the basics, how to run a still, etc.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

There is learning by doing and that‘s perfectly fine, but first, please learn by reading.
So many things can go wrong and let you end up with crappy ferment, crappy destillate or much worse things.

If you‘re going to built your 30l keg boiler, as planned, you should consider using an internal heating element.
Can imagine that a „small electric stove“ is not enough to drive your keg. If it can, you‘d have a hard time waiting for your runs to finish, imho.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

quite4 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 am This is similar to what I am trying to build now.
Are you using the voltage controller to better controle the temperature? I intended to just use the mini-stove's wheel - 1, 2 or 3.
Next to useless for a 30l still. Most of them have a built in switch to prevent overheating that will turn off the largest element in the plate long before you start boiling, leaving you with half of it's rated Watts for the rest of the heat up and the run.
quite4
Novice

Post by quite4 »

Right, I was trying to avoid having to cut another opening for the heater, but I guess there is no escaping from that.
What's the power recommended for the 30l keg heater?
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

It's not about the keg size, more about your max power available from the socket and the size / diameter of your column.
I'm running a 50 L boiler as a 2" lm-reflux, 1m packed column and I'm happy with 2 kw. To heat it up, it could be a bit more
powerful. But I don't want to cut a second hole or put a bigger heating element until the actual one dies it's rusty dead.

With your setup, you could be fine with 2-3 kw. Try to get an ultra low density one.

If you buy a controller, have some buffer power. Double the watts should work out "cool". Don't drive it on it's max rating.

Think we start pirating the thread, sorry.