Another SSR Controller

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ecir54
Swill Maker

Another SSR Controller

Post by ecir54 »

Switch in position 1 power feeds direct to element. Switch in position 2 power feeds through SSR.

Haven't installed small push button switch on fan yet. Without the switch fan runs in position 1 and is not needed. In position 2 the fan is regulated through the SSR.

SSR, heatsink and 500k pot purchased from Still Dragon. The addition of the 50k pot allow you to dial in the wattage with way better control.
Last edited by ecir54 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Another SSR Controller

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Real stellar man, very clean box, the diagram is quite helpful. I've been about 80% on my SSR controller for what seems like a year now. How did you mount your SSR and other parts, in the box?
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nice looking set up. Much cleaner than my wiring job.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:16 pm Real stellar man, very clean box, the diagram is quite helpful. I've been about 80% on my SSR controller for what seems like a year now. How did you mount your SSR and other parts, in the box?
Just stainless screws where needed, nothing special except I did add 2 nuts to the screws to act as standoffs to hold the heatsink off the bottom so as not to sit on the plastic enclosure.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

It's a good thing the actual wiring doesn't match the diagram. :lol:
The diagram has the CT wrong
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice pickup Shady
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

shadylane wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:40 pm It's a good thing the actual wiring doesn't match the diagram. :lol:
The diagram has the CT wrong
Thanks, will edit soon.

edit done, have another look shady.

a little confusing being used the schematic on the back of the meter. Main note is wire hot leads to the meter to the line side of SSR meter so as not to burn it up and put ct on load side of SRR.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

Looks like I cant edit the op post anymore. Here is updated schematic.

IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

ecir54 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:55 pm Looks like I cant edit the op post anymore. Here is updated schematic.
Quick question for you ecir54, If you connected the fan to the #1 screw on the SSR wouldn't that do away with the need for the switch? or will it still be getting power back fed from the #2 screw?
Accepting failure is the quickest way to learn.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

IdontKnow wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:05 pm
ecir54 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:55 pm Looks like I cant edit the op post anymore. Here is updated schematic.
Quick question for you ecir54, If you connected the fan to the #1 screw on the SSR wouldn't that do away with the need for the switch? or will it still be getting power back fed from the #2 screw?
I did try it there. It acted weird in that position, shuttered, so feedback must have been passing through relay.
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

ecir54 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:59 pm
I did try it there. It acted weird in that position, shuttered, so feedback must have been passing through relay.
Thanks for the reply. Thought that might be the case. I'm planning a similar setup but on 120v. Guess I'll spend $3 on a switch.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

IdontKnow wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:03 pm
ecir54 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:59 pm
Thanks for the reply. Thought that might be the case. I'm planning a similar setup but on 120v. Guess I'll spend $3 on a switch.
Still haven't installed one on mine. Fan stays on in switch 1 position just during heat up which isn't on that long, just haven't got to it yet.
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

I ordered one just in case. I also plan to wire in a second plug with direct power on a switch to control a second heater for use during heat up. Then I can shut that one down and adjust the 1 as needed. Both are 1500w 120v heaters
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I don't like how the power switch is wired.
With the switch off, there's still power to the meter circuit.
Instead of the complex wired switch used. I prefer a simple dpst switch to turn the power on and off.
And have a separate spst switch across terminals 1 and 2 of the SSVR for switching between full power and adjustable. I'd also have the fan wired to get full power when the controller is switched on.
C4.png
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

shadylane wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:03 pm I don't like how the power switch is wired.
Where would you wire the meter? I've read reports here that they do funky things if wired after the SSR. I guess you could go after the switch but before the SSR since you really only need to meter when using the SSR.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd wire everything after the switch.
Only the amp part of the meter is going to work.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

IdontKnow wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:47 pm I ordered one just in case. I also plan to wire in a second plug with direct power on a switch to control a second heater for use during heat up. Then I can shut that one down and adjust the 1 as needed. Both are 1500w 120v heaters
IdontKnow, this schematic was laid out for a 240vac circuit. If using for 120vac I would have laid it out different.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

shadylane wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:45 pm I'd wire everything after the switch.
Only the amp part of the meter is going to work.
With this meter with this schematic doing so will fry the meter you cant use just the amp part. Have you used one before?
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

shadylane wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:03 pm I don't like how the power switch is wired.
Instead of the complex wired switch used. I prefer a simple dpst switch to turn the power on and off.
And have a separate spst switch across terminals 1 and 2 of the SSVR for switching between full power and adjustable. I'd also have the fan wired to get full power when the controller is switched on.

C4.png
The goal of this build was to keep things tidy, didn't want a huge controller box, tried and tested works great. Yes the meter turns own when plug in and is not switched, I only use this controller when it is plug in :lol:. Fan works fine as wired and keeps the noise down when used with the SSR. Actually the still dragon heat sink sells is way overkill and doesn't break a sweat, fan could be eliminated.

If built another and after seeing the performance of the heat sink I would just use a DPDT light switch and not include a bypass or install a fan. Would still include holes is housing for ventilation.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

ecir54 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:26 am this schematic was laid out for a 240vac circuit. If using for 120vac I would have laid it out different.
The SSVR and wiring are basically the same for 240 or 120vac
The difference is in the maximum value of the potentiometer.
Figure on needing a 470K pot for 240v. If the same pot were used on 120v the first 1/2 turn is wasted.
For 120v operation a 220k ohm is about right, less than that, the controller will not turn completely off when the pot is turned down to zero.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

ecir54 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:49 am Actualy the still dragon heat sink sells is way overkill and doesn't break a sweat, fan could be eliminated.
The SSVR and heatsink needs fan cooling or be in open air.
Ya stick it in a ventilated box with no fan, after several hours it will get too hot.

On a side note.
I own several SSVRs bought from Stilldragon. They have been more durable than average.
None have failed yet, even the one being tortured while controlling the input power on a welder. :shock:
Make sure to use thermal paste. :ewink:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

shadylane wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 pm even the one being tortured while controlling the input power on a welder.
:wtf: :esurprised:
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

ecir54 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:26 am With this meter with this schematic doing so will fry the meter you cant use just the amp part...
This is what i was seeing in other threads here as well. I'll play it safe and do the same since it will be unplugged when i don't need the meter anyways. And yes I know the wiring is a bit different when I take the 120v vs 240v was just planing on using roughly the same pieces.
shadylane wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:33 pm The SSVR and wiring are basically the same for 240 or 120vac
The difference is in the maximum value of the potentiometer.
Figure on needing a 470K pot for 240v. If the same pot were used on 120v the first 1/2 turn is wasted.
For 120v operation a 220k ohm is about right, less than that, the controller will not turn completely off when the pot is turned down to zero.
Thanks I didn't catch that in the other threads I read. guess i should order a different pot. What would the effects of the 470 pot be on a 120v setup? I also ordered the 47K pot I saw mentioned in a bunch of threads. Will the 2 still work for 120v to give me control or scrap that and go with the 220k? I don't mind putting these 2 on the shelf for future use.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

IdontKnow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:19 am What would the effects of the 470 pot be on a 120v setup? I also ordered the 47K pot I saw mentioned in a bunch of threads. Will the 2 still work for 120v to give me control or scrap that and go with the 220k? I don't mind putting these 2 on the shelf for future use.
Imagine the knob is a clock .

If you use 470k Pot on 120v , it means you will get no power as you adjust knob from 8 0’Clock to 12 0’Clock .
Then the power will increase from 12 O’Clock to 4 O’Clock

Whereas , if you use a 220K pot on 120V , you’ll get full range from 8 O’Clock to 4 O’Clock

( well in reality you never get full range with one of these SSRV …. they aren’t perfect ….But you get the idea )

This viewtopic.php?f=85&t=75372#p7570629
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

IdontKnow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:19 am
or scrap that and go with the 220k? I don't mind putting these 2 on the shelf for future use.
I'd set the pots you have aside for now. Ya will need then If you ever go to 240v.
For operating on 120v here's what I'd recommend, 220k and 2watt. for $11 Ya even get a spare.
IdontKnow
Novice

Post by IdontKnow »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:37 am ...
That was informative. Thank you. Guess I didn't use the right search terms when looking up info here on it. Probably because I have a habit of referring to it as 120v instead of 110v.

Shadylane, sounds like a plan. I do plan to go to 240v in the future just my current setup is for 110v. So the shelf gets some more "future" parts.

ecir54, sorry for hijacking your thread. Your controller looks great. Well built.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

IdontKnow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:02 am ecir54, sorry for hijacking your thread. Your controller looks great. Well built.
It's well built and looks professional :thumbup:
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

IdontKnow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:02 am
Yummyrum wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:37 am ...
That was informative. Thank you. Guess I didn't use the right search terms when looking up info here on it. Probably because I have a habit of referring to it as 120v instead of 110v.

Shadylane, sounds like a plan. I do plan to go to 240v in the future just my current setup is for 110v. So the shelf gets some more "future" parts.

ecir54, sorry for hijacking your thread. Your controller looks great. Well built.
It's the nature of forums, no problems good info added and you now have all the info you need to build a nice controller.