Aquarium Temperature Control

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Aquarium Temperature Control

Post by Bushman »

OK, I have been using this aquarium temp control I purchased from ebay (same one Maheel uses) for a little over a year and it works great to control temperatures in my Fermenting room. I got it off ebay and it comes from China, although the instructions for use are good the wiring instructions are a bit hard to follow. I have had several members pm me about how to set it up so I thought I would put together a tutorial here.
This is the controller mentioned
This is the controller mentioned
This is the wiring diagram that comes with it.
This is the wiring diagram that comes with it.
It is important to remember that the unit only requires to open and close a Live supply to control the heating and cooling circuits, in much the same way as a standard single pole light switch at home works. It does not need to open and close both the Live and Neutral to turn the power on or off.
You do not need the capacitor that is in the bottom diagram and I wired mine a bit different since I do not need the fan to cool my fermenting room but it is basically the same. As you can see from the wiring diagram below you need to supply a separate live supply to each relay (6 & 8, I only used 6 as I did not attach a fan) in order for it to output any power to each circuit (terminals 5 & 7). You should also notice that allo Neutral wires are basically joined together so that as soon as a relay closes (turns on the Live power) the Neutrals are able to complete the circuit.
Here is a better diagram
Here is a better diagram
For all those going this route I hope this helps! Bushman

Below are pictures of my setup with each wire numbered to the corresponding terminal. Note on the heater I had to separate the neutral and live wire.
controller.jpg
heater.jpg
plugs.jpg
midlife_rebel
Bootlegger

Re: Aquarium Temperature Control

Post by midlife_rebel »

Very much appreciated Bushman. Can't wait to see what the mash will do, now that I can hold a steady temp.
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

I have an STC1000 too Bushman, wired to a cooling and warming socket on an enclosure. Works great inside my old fermenting fridge.
60 watt ceramic lamp for heating and for cooling, it just turns off the lamp and turns on the fridge...

I'll get some photos up later, at work atm...

Heres the a wiring diagram I used...
STC-1000-Wiring-Diag.jpg
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Remember its only rated at 10A (2400w) if your using 240vac...

You cannot, and should not, run your > 2.4w boilers element from it... :thumbdown:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Samohon wrote:Remember its only rated at 10A (2400w) if your using 240vac...

You cannot, and should not, run your > 2.4w boilers element from it... :thumbdown:
Thanks, Samohon for enhancing this link, as a former Industrial design teacher I have to say your graphics are very professional! :D
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Bushman wrote:Thanks, Samohon for enhancing this link, as a former Industrial design teacher I have to say your graphics are very professional! :D
I'm an Illustrator and Graphic Designer, its my bread and butter, though my discipline was in informatics in the late 90's...

Thanks man... :thumbup:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

maheel
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by maheel »

mines in use right now and this thread reminds me to go keg the beer :)

there are a few slightly different models on ebay for around $25 make sure you check the specs and get the 10 amp one
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

maheel wrote:mines in use right now and this thread reminds me to go keg the beer :)

there are a few slightly different models on ebay for around $25 make sure you check the specs and get the 10 amp one
And thank you Maheel for introducing me to the controller, mine has been in constant use with one fermentation after another since I got back from Europe in October.
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

Big thankyou to Bushman and Samohan for posting the "how to" wire this thing up. Your instructions are crystal clear unlike the broken engrish instructions that came with it. I have had it connected to a heat belt for a couple of months and its working fine. :thumbup:
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
LooyvilleLarry
Novice

Post by LooyvilleLarry »

I use one of those controllers with this. works great https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O92WS/re ... 0M7VWR5ZWE&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LooyvilleLarry wrote:I use one of those controllers with this. works great https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O92WS/re ... 0M7VWR5ZWE&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Should work great. I use the heater as usually I have 2 - 4 vessels fermenting at the same time.
Jolly John
Novice

Post by Jolly John »

I use one these to control the fans on my cooling water circulating system, drop the sensor in the reservoir and set it to turn on at 28c, off at 25c, nice stable temperature at condenser.
No one is completely useless.....they can always serve as a bad example.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not sure what happened but yesterday I went out to check my fermentation in my new insulated cart and the aquarium temerature control was reading 16 C. I have it set at 26.5 C and it heats to 29 C before shutting off and kicks back on at 24 C. I figured after 5 years the heater bit the dust and I didn't want to leave it over night with cooler temps, so I purchased another small heater and wired it in like explained above and she is now back up and running. Checked the old heater and it was still working so am not sure what my problem was but it cost me another $37.00 for a heater.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I was just given a Sous vide controller with temperature probe.
Now I need to get an aquarium heater and get going on my 90 gallon fermenter.
Think 500 watts would do it?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

nerdybrewer wrote:I was just given a Sous vide controller with temperature probe.
Now I need to get an aquarium heater and get going on my 90 gallon fermenter.
Think 500 watts would do it?
Yes, I went from using a small heater to a 75 watt light bulb and it still keeps my temps between the above stated temps. Make sure if your getting the aquarium controller above you follow my wiring diagram as the one that comes from China is poorly written.

I also built the following fermenting cart to insulate and control temps more evenly.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... t#p7371265
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Thanks Bushman.
Here is the Sous Vide I was given, the website at dorkfood is kind of entertaining too.
When I saw the guy in the video pull out the big ice chest the light went on for me!

https://www.dorkfood.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Nice. Another one is the Ranco controllers.

I have used Ranco controllers for years very reliable.

B
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

The one I have looks a lot like that one Bitter.
I ordered a "Finnex 300W Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube" to go with it, I figure I can brew with it, cook with it, do whatever I can dream up with it.
My plan is coming together!
bitter wrote:Nice. Another one is the Ranco controllers.

I have used Ranco controllers for years very reliable.

B
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

DedeBarre
Novice

Post by DedeBarre »

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case I have an STC1000 too Bushman, wired to a cooling and warming socket on an enclosure. Works great inside my old fermenting fridge.
60 watt ceramic lamp for heating and for cooling, it just turns off the lamp and turns on the fridge.