If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Re: phase angle controller

Post by goinbroke2 »

shawn2974 wrote:Does anyone know where i can find a simple set up for a power controller for a 3500 watt heating element?
Shawn, this one is $45.00usd It doesn't get simpler than that. It will run up to 5500w, I'm running 4500w and your running 3500w, just stick a cord on either end basically and plug it in.

If you want cheaper, you'll have to build your own. But you said "simpler"...THIS is simple. If you want to wait a little bit I'll give feedback when I get it.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I was also going to buy this one as I can use it for by beer boiler too but the 35$ shipping means ill build my own

Seems like a good deal for the work that goes into them
shawn2974
Novice

Post by shawn2974 »

Goingbroke, which one are u talking about. The one from dragonstill is from USA? I thought it was from over seas.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

EDIT:
While the post wasn't completely incorrect, I have since found out that yes the controller is made and shipped in Texas and there is no shipping fee in the lower 48. However, being Canadian...it's $30.00 but heck with it, I told him I want it anyway.
Now I just got to paypal the extra $30.00 to him.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Burks
Novice

Post by Burks »

I emailed stilldragon to see if they make a 110/120 volt version for us smaller guys that don't have access to 240 volts. Hopefully he does....ill buy one immediately.

Speaking of the DIY one of course. For $55 shipped.....steal.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

goinbroke2 wrote:EDIT:
While the post wasn't completely incorrect, I have since found out that yes the controller is made and shipped in Texas and there is no shipping fee in the lower 48. However, being Canadian...it's $30.00 but heck with it, I told him I want it anyway.
Now I just got to paypal the extra $30.00 to him.
haha, thats what caused me to go the DIY route, Im cheap
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

Burks wrote:I emailed stilldragon to see if they make a 110/120 volt version for us smaller guys that don't have access to 240 volts. Hopefully he does....ill buy one immediately.

if you read the description on the stiidragon one it says can be used for 110 or 220
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

bellybuster wrote: haha, thats what caused me to go the DIY route, Im cheap
Cheap? I'm so cheap, I won't pay attention!
I've spent hours fixing something then stopping and thinking..holy crap this is only $10.00 at home depot, BUY IT DUMMY! So sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and look at the big picture. I have no doubt I'll build this and then go "wow, that's simple" and order parts next time.
but for now, It's on it's way!

Dispatched to Sort Facility
January 18, 2013, 5:58 pm
DENISON, TX 75021

Processed through USPS Sort Facility
January 18, 2013, 10:36 pm
COPPELL, TX 75099

Depart USPS Sort Facility
January 19, 2013
COPPELL, TX 75099
International Parcels

Slowly making it's way north :thumbup:
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

you'll probably have yours before me
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Arrived at Sort Facility
January 20, 2013, 6:39 am
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS

Processed Through Sort Facility
January 20, 2013, 6:50 am
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
International Parcels

c,mon...C,MON..... :clap:
Burks
Novice

Post by Burks »

jholmz wrote:
Burks wrote:I emailed stilldragon to see if they make a 110/120 volt version for us smaller guys that don't have access to 240 volts. Hopefully he does....ill buy one immediately.

if you read the description on the stiidragon one it says can be used for 110 or 220
I reread it again and don't see it mentioned any where.

Also, no response from the two emails I sent. I'm looking at new options now or just scrapping the distilling idea all together.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

[/quote]

I reread it again and don't see it mentioned any where.

Also, no response from the two emails I sent. I'm looking at new options now or just scrapping the distilling idea all together.[/quote]

Didn't get an e-mail so you might not distill at all? Don't mean to be rude, but if that is the extent of your internal fortitude, yeah you might as well quit now before you see how much work distilling involves. :roll:

I see wine and beer making kits in the buyer-flyer all the time because people spend a couple hundred bucks thinking they'll whip up excellent suds for penny's on the bottle and then after one or two batches say "holy crap that's a lot of work". Everything is sold off and they talk down about home made beer/wine thereafter.

That's also why I think there would be no problems if it was legalised as not many people would do all the work just to get cheap likker. Either you have a artisan mindset or you don't, either you want to make beer/wine/spirits...or you don't. If you do, it's a lot of work that is very rewarding, if you don't, it's not worth the hassle..(and illegal)
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

I'm with that Broke.......... :clap:
Burks
Novice

Post by Burks »

I'd prefer not to use propane/gas due to safety. With my limited electrical knowledge I'm sort of screwed. Done my reading on the subject extensively and don't feel confident enough to do my own wiring.

But thanks for assuming you had all the facts. The only thing left to figure out was heating. Already had the still plans drawn, recipes copied, etc. If I can't do it safely and feel 100% about it, it's not worth it. The last hurdle tripped me up. Might explore it if I can find a buddy to help with the electrical side but most can hardly change a spark plug let alone wire anything.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Just do it! Can't change a plug, DO IT! Screw it up, so what, learn and move on. Get a piece of copper and soldering kit and start making a mess, eventually you'll get better.
Biggest thing to figure out first is if you have the desire to do this. If you do, you'll find a way.

Heck, find a local electrician and tell him you want to make beer and need a heating tub. Let him wire up the element/wires/potentiometer seperately and then when you take them home, screw the element into your still!

Just giving you a poke, seeing if your committed or not.

Do you lay awake at night thinking about distilling....you might be a distiller.
Do you see a piece of copper and think what kind of equipment you could make.....you might be a distiller.
Do you see sugar on sale and buy 50lb's....you might be a distiller.

If you drink whiskey, complain about the price and then continue playing the X-Box not giving it another thought...you might NOT be a distiller. :ewink:
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

goinbroke2 wrote:Heck, find a local electrician and tell him you want to make beer and need a heating tub. Let him wire up the element/wires/potentiometer seperately and then when you take them home, screw the element into your still!
That's a really good route to go. Just find someone local who will source the parts and assemble it for you. Heat up some tap water to ensure it works before you try distilling. You should be fine. you can do the same with a local welder to get your boiler going, just tell them you are going to insert an internal heating element for a hot liquor tank for beer brewing.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Past customs and it's in Canada!! :clap:

Customs clearance processing complete
January 23, 2013, 12:36 pm

International Parcels

Processed Through Sort Facility
January 23, 2013, 12:31 pm
CANADA

Customs Clearance
January 23, 2013, 12:31 pm
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I got mine today, all the way from China, ha!
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Now just gotta dig thru my junk bins to find a resistor
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

CRAP! From Texas to the border in 3 days...3 days AT the border in customs :evil:

Good for you though, get at 'er
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

My SSR-40 based controller. 12 AWG wiring. Analog voltmeter and green LED.
DSC00159.JPG
DSC00161.JPG
Using it with 5500Watt heating element.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

VERY nice Sambedded! :thumbup:
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Very nice work! I particularly like the way you reversed the cable to box connectors for a cleaner looking build. Very nice!! :thumbup:

I would keep an eye on your wire temps when running at battle speed as I believe your #12 awg is on the edge?? 5500w/220v=25a

For reference, the National Electrical Code (NEC) notes the following ampacity for copper wire at 30 Celsius:
14 AWG - maximum of 20 Amps in free air, maximum of 15 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
12 AWG - maximum of 25 Amps in free air, maximum of 20 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
10 AWG - maximum of 40 Amps in free air, maximum of 30 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable.
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

WIski wrote:Very nice work! I particularly like the way you reversed the cable to box connectors for a cleaner looking build. Very nice!! :thumbup:

I would keep an eye on your wire temps when running at battle speed as I believe your #12 awg is on the edge?? 5500w/220v=25a

For reference, the National Electrical Code (NEC) notes the following ampacity for copper wire at 30 Celsius:
14 AWG - maximum of 20 Amps in free air, maximum of 15 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
12 AWG - maximum of 25 Amps in free air, maximum of 20 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable;
10 AWG - maximum of 40 Amps in free air, maximum of 30 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable.
Thanks!
As about wires NEC is very very conservative . In my country there is a rule - 1 square mm of copper is OK for 10A. 12 AWG wire has ~3.3 mm2 . So it can carry 33A. And even NEC allows 30A for 90C rated insulation.
I did check wires temperature on full load - it is 5-7C above ambient. So I can't see any reason to worry about.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Keep in mind the code is mainly referring to actual installed house wiring not extension chords. I too am using 12 Awg on mine and have no worries what so ever.
Really nicely done controller.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Now ya went and made me want a voltmeter for pretty points
buckwild1
Novice

Post by buckwild1 »

what about something like this for those of us that are electrically challenged? This one isnt priced but many companies have prices ranging from $130 to $600
http://www.ogdenmfg.com/process3.htm
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

for starters those are very expensive. They also have a thermostat which cycles the element heat on and off, not a desirable attribute

the commercially built controllers are a good option for those that do not wish to DIY. There are several linked to throughout the site and even in this thread. I'll leave the searching to you.
buckwild1
Novice

Post by buckwild1 »

by the time you buy the controller and all the little bits you'll have a fair bit into one anyway. But I didnt realize the cycled
gleamingthecube
Novice

Post by gleamingthecube »

Here is a relatively cheap controller. All you need to do is hook up the wires, relatively simple design. This is the cheapest one I have seen that you can purchase. Full instructions right there on the page.

stilldragon.com/diy-controller.html