heat control

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nzbourbonhead
Novice

heat control

Post by nzbourbonhead »

Has anyone ever tried adapting an electric stove element controler for temp controller on there still?
Hic hic Now where did I put my glass
fish
Novice

Post by fish »

I have the Phason MSC-4 Motor Fan Speed Control for my internal element still but I don't think I will need it though. I did the first boil yesterday with water to clean the inside of the column and the heat up was very slow and consistant not sure if I can expect the same with a sugar mash or not. My condenser is large enough so I should be good to go. But back to the controller I chose this one because of the internal setpoints so as not to overload an element.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

I have tried using a stove control. The stove element control I tried was an infinity switch type switch which means that it clicks on and off with a bi-metal strip. This type of control doesn't work very will in a still because you need constant power put into wash to maintain a slow steady boil.
Fish, I use the same control you have on it works great. Love the set points. What you should do is add an extra element that is just plugged in for heat up and then run off the lower element with the control inline. Since you have already spent the money on the control you may as well use it. I adjust my heat input depending on the type of wash I am running.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook