Master On/off Switch

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Master On/off Switch

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Hey guys I just received my controller kit from still dragon. I would like to add a toggle switch for extra safety. Now I'm not the most savvy with electric so I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a good switch to use with my 220v/30amp circuit, also going to be using the 5500w stainless ripple ULWD element.

I also would like to add a cooling fan. I know I have come across it before and have been using the Google search but can't seem to find the drawing on how to go about installing it. I figure the easiest is to get a 220v small computer fan. Any recommendations for this also would be awesome. I'm planning on getting 10 gauge/4 wire and plugging into my dryer receptacle.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Master On/off Switch

Post by still_stirrin »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:...I would like to add a toggle switch for extra safety...hoping to get some recommendations for a good switch to use with my 220v/30amp circuit.
Are you thinking of an emergency "kill" switch, or simply an "on/off" power-up kind of switch? Solutions vary.
BoisBlancBoy wrote:I also would like to add a cooling fan. I know I have come across it before and have been using the Google search but can't seem to find the drawing on how to go about installing it. I figure the easiest is to get a 220v small computer fan. Any recommendations for this also would be awesome. I'm planning on getting 10 gauge/4 wire and plugging into my dryer receptacle.
A 220V fan would work fine. I suggest an "on/off" switch for the fan separate from the boiler "kill" switch. Take the power before the control circuit, however. You don't need to regulate the power to the fan, only "on/off".

There are several circuit schematics within this forum to use as a guideline. Do a little "digging" and you'll find them. You can start with the epic sticky at the front of this forum.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

I guess for the switch I don't know the specific differences well enough to know which one I would prefer.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

you want a double pole - single throw switch that's rated for 30 amps or more and 300volts or more
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-30-A ... /100356941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:thumbup:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Thanks guys!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote:one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-30-A ... /100356941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

That's the switch I used. One thing I like to do is leave the fan running for cool down for a while after I turn the controller off so it is on a separate switch. I don't know if it helps or even matters but I like to think it does.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

cranky wrote:
HDNB wrote:one of these

That's the switch I used. One thing I like to do is leave the fan running for cool down for a while after I turn the controller off so it is on a separate switch. I don't know if it helps or even matters but I like to think it does.

I like that idea idea cranky.

With a double pole switch and 220v, how does that have to be wired,,both hot leads through the switch or just one? I've done almost no work with 220 before and want to make sure I get this right without doing anything wrong.
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

It's highly recommended that you use a CONTACTOR to switch off and on the 240 voltage.
ElementController-v7.jpg
Here's a controller wiring diagram that uses a illuminated switch and an emergency shutoff (red mushroom) button switch.

The CONTACTOR is $15 at Auber Instruments and switches are $8 a piece at Auber.
This contactor relay is controlled by 120v through the switches (illuminated and emergency shutoff).

If you don't want the illuminated switch, leave it out.
The LEVITON switch idea mentioned by Cranky and other works just as well. You can use a lower rated 120v light switch if you use this contactor circuit, as it's only 120v and low amperage.

Does that help?
-Just need something else to build. -
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

You asked how to wire the Leviton DPDT switch that was suggested.
ElementController-v6a.jpg
It is NOT advised to switch only one side (hot) through a SPST Emergency Cutoff switch and leave the other HOT energized.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Thanks very much, that helps a ton and makes perfect sense now that I could actually see it. I'm very visual, I've found a bunch of threads that explained it but not a simple diagram like this one to look at. Very much appreciated.

Like from above I think I would like to install a fan and also separate switch for it as well.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

Instead of a switch to control the cooling fan, could I install a potentiometer to turn it on and off as well as control its speed?
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Yes sir, you can do that. All ingredients used need to be 240v rated of course, right!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:Instead of a switch to control the cooling fan, could I install a potentiometer to turn it on and off as well as control its speed?
You would need a pot with a built in switch
Commonly found on volume control pot's
Edited this wouldn't control the speed, only turn the fan on/off
Last edited by shadylane on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

BoisBlancBoy wrote:Instead of a switch to control the cooling fan, could I install a potentiometer to turn it on and off as well as control its speed?
I don't see the need, though, to adjust your fan speed. Just splice it into the hots before the pot. Plug your controller in, it comes on. Unplug, it cuts out. None chance of ever forgetting to turn it on, or up.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
I don't see the need, though, to adjust your fan speed. Just splice it into the hots before the pot. Plug your controller in, it comes on. Unplug, it cuts out. None chance of ever forgetting to turn it on, or up.
That's a good point, my fan is 12V and uses a wall wart and I have it on the same circuit that runs both of my water recirc pumps and backlighting, so that is the first switch I flip before I start things up.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

cranky wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
That's a good point, my fan is 12V and uses a wall wart and I have it on the same circuit that runs both of my water recirc pumps and backlighting, so that is the first switch I flip before I start things up.

I definitely can't argue with that logic. Kiss method right there.