If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MrBee
Novice

Heating Element in a Copper Pot ?

Post by MrBee »

Ok,
This may have already been answered someplace,
I am up to page 15 of Jimbo's electric conversion. I was wanting to do this for a while now,
However, I have a Simple Pot still, old style, All copper. I figure I already know the answer but figure its good to check with the pro's.
Is there ANY reason why I should not set up my copper boiler with an internal element and the SCR controller ?
I can handle the wiring just wondering if for some reason copper would act different than a SS keg.

I'm already in the process of selecting the parts needed to convert the top cap from a flour paste seal to a 4" tri clamp. Seems copper stuff for this is not real easy to find.

Thanks

just to add, The only reason for adding the internal element is for faster heat up times. I like the way my rum finishes on the slow stove top element.
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Heating Element in a Copper Pot ?

Post by DFitz »

Try this
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/compon ... brass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

only reason not to do it is that it would not look "old school"
so no good reasons, go for it :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
MrBee
Novice

Post by MrBee »

Thanks Dfitz,
I had found those on their site. Think thats where I'm gonna order the SCR Kit from also. Aint much more $$ than ordering parts and assembling myself.

Yes Swedish pride I agree. My plan would be to install the Element from the back side so the front would still have that natural look. Only the Temp ( Yes I know,I only use it to gage when to cut back the heat.) and the Drain I already installed. would be visible .

Thanks for the replys

My heat up time now, on a 1600 watt element stove is about 1.5 hours on a 5 gallon wash.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Just do it Mr Bee - You'll be amazed how you got on before, once you have the internal element with a decent power controller. Over here we have copper water tanks with immersion heaters in virtually every house. :thumbup:
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

DFitz wrote:Try this
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/compon ... brass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I was looking at those but they charge 14 bucks for shipping, so it's $32 dollar copper ferrule,.. so got another from ebay for 22 shipped. Only difference was mine was set for the pipe ID of M pipe while i have L pipe.. took some sanding to make it fit but glad I did as my ferrule fits ID while the still dragon is OD, leaving the ferrule on the outside of the pipe vs the inside of mine.

it's just an image thing as the end of my pipe just has the tri-clamp ring and clean copper as I soldered from the inside of the pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182283158024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
copper tri pipe.jpg
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

I have no regrets with my electric copper pot. I can run inside with no flame/ventilation issues. I just have a plastic box attached to the side to cover the connections - who is going to see? I build things for functionality, not for public appearance - which we shouldn't be doing anyways!