240v 30 Amp GFCI Solution

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

240v 30 Amp GFCI Solution

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

What is the best solution (cost effective) to put a GFCI into a 4-wire system (hot-hot-neutral-ground)?

I'm working out the logistics to going electric with my boiler (and beer brewing setup also) and would like to make sure there is a GFCI somewhere in the system. I'll be using a 4-prong dryer outlet that I'm currently not using, but want to add GFCI protection. I cannot seem to find a cost effective solution short of having an electrician replace the breaker with a GFCI breaker. Are there any inexpensive inline 240v GFCI solutions? There are tons of 120v GFCI inline breakers, but it seems like nothing for 240v.

Absent a better solution, do I replace the panel breaker with a GFCI breaker, or maybe put a GFCI breaker in my controller box?

Best, JohnnyWhiskey
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: 240v 30 Amp GFCI Solution

Post by ShineRunner »

I use a spa panel that my buddy gave me when they cut up their hot tub.. Works great.
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

Just replace the breaker with a gfci breaker yourself. They literally pop in and out. Wait for a bright sunny day, kill the main supply breaker, and then remove the breaker panel bezel. Unscrew the conductors for your outlet, pop out the old breaker, and snap in the new. Then just go in reverse hooking stuff back up.

Running a still is 10 times more complicated than changing a breaker.

Heads up though, most gfci two pole breakers are $70-$120... I really should install one on mine.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

Thanks guys. You confirmed what I was thinking. The GFCI breakers aren't cheap, but I'll have one installed. Probably use a electrician I know that is pretty affordable. If I'm going to install a safety device, I might as well make sure it is done right. Although the process looks pretty simple.

I thought about the spa panel solution, but I didn't want an extra box to deal with. Did you install your equipment in the spa panel or separately?

Best, JW
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

You can buy a lot of grain for what it cost to have a sparky install that breaker. They just snap in and out as joey said. But if you are totally unsure of your electrical abilities be safe and hire a pro.

OVZ
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Oldvine Zin wrote:You can buy a lot of grain for what it cost to have a sparky install that breaker. They just snap in and out as joey said. But if you are totally unsure of your electrical abilities be safe and hire a pro.

OVZ
Not difficult to put in a 240v split phase GFCI breaker. There will be a neutral wire from the breaker, don't tie it to the neutral in the panel, it should go only to the load.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Not difficult to put in a 240v split phase GFCI breaker. There will be a neutral wire from the breaker, don't tie it to the neutral in the panel, it should go only to the load.

120/240
The white wire (neutral) that is built on the breaker goes to the neutral bar and the neutral from the load goes onto the neutral terminal on the breaker
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Klein wrote: 120/240
The white wire (neutral) that is built on the breaker goes to the neutral bar and the neutral from the load goes onto the neutral terminal on the breaker
Ooops, you're right. It's been a while.
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

I ended up have an electrician do it for me. The breaker cost more than the labor to put it in, and I wanted to make sure it was done right with the right part. I've got a pretty good grasp of how to replace a breaker, so its not the "totally unsure" part that stopped me--it was the "I think I know how to do this" part, but it better be done right because my live (and possibly my family's lives) might depend on it. So I think it was money well spent.

Our electrician is a semi-retired Italian guy, and he asked me what I was going to do with the outlet. I told him I was building a brewing box--which is partially true. The electrician then told me he makes wine--and then got a little smile and said he makes grappa too. So we had a good discussion about distillation techniques.

Stay thirsty, JW
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Johnnywhiskey wrote:
Our electrician is a semi-retired Italian guy, and he asked me what I was going to do with the outlet. I told him I was building a brewing box--which is partially true. The electrician then told me he makes wine--and then got a little smile and said he makes grappa too. So we had a good discussion about distillation techniques.

Stay thirsty, JW
:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds like you made a good choice!