Blew up a brand new element!

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Blew up a brand new element!

Post by DBCFlash »

If I had my choice and money were no object I'd be using steam injection.
I won't distill with an open flame as I have to work indoors so gas is right out for me.
If this third element doesn't hold up I'll modify my pot to use a standard water heater style element and hang my head in defeat.
I think I just need to stop turning this thing up to 11...
Some men you jest cain't reach...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you have room, put another one in. That gives you choices of running them in parallel, series and singly, plus you have to be seriously unlucky, or foolish, to blow both of them and not be able to finish the run on one.
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Element number three is in and working well. I'm being careful this time. Kept the amperage under 16 and carefully stirred the wash as it came up to temperature.
I got the more expensive one this time so maybe it's a little tougher.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

DBCFlash wrote: ...........Problem is that element would require me to completely reconfigure my pot. I had a hell of a time trying to get a simple nut welded to my column. Welding up the holes I have in the bottom of my pot and adding the bung for that controller would be a serious, if not impossible challenge for the chucklehead welders around here.
I think part of the fun is in learning new skills - get an old ss sink top to cut up and practice on, a cheap arc welder and some stainless rods - give it a go ! 8)
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Pikey wrote:
DBCFlash wrote: ...........Problem is that element would require me to completely reconfigure my pot. I had a hell of a time trying to get a simple nut welded to my column. Welding up the holes I have in the bottom of my pot and adding the bung for that controller would be a serious, if not impossible challenge for the chucklehead welders around here.
I think part of the fun is in learning new skills - get an old ss sink top to cut up and practice on, a cheap arc welder and some stainless rods - give it a go ! 8)
Oh, I have a decent Miller MIG welder in my shop, but I've never tried welding stainless before. Just filling the tank with the proper gas and buying the wire ends up being expensive, and I'm pretty rusty as I haven't done a lot of welding for a long time. And the sun was in my eyes, and the dog ate my homework, and there was traffic on the bridge....
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Got my ultrasonic high speed aging device up and running. I have a quart of my UJSSM buzzing away right now. I tested it at 20 minutes and detected a slight improvement in smoothness, and I'm running it through another 20 minutes to see if that does anything.
Sounds like an angry, metal bee
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Silver Soldering stainless isn't too hard either, it's how I attached a 2" stainless sanitary ferrule to my keg to insert my element. But it is super super important that you get the right flux.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

BDF wrote:Silver Soldering stainless isn't too hard either, it's how I attached a 2" stainless sanitary ferrule to my keg to insert my element. But it is super super important that you get the right flux.
For some reason, that "Acid flux type" is almost unobtainable over here and Silver solder seems to be only advertised for jewelry making - Cost is a lot in uk. I gave up on it eventually.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Pikey wrote:
BDF wrote:Silver Soldering stainless isn't too hard either, it's how I attached a 2" stainless sanitary ferrule to my keg to insert my element. But it is super super important that you get the right flux.
For some reason, that "Acid flux type" is almost unobtainable over here and Silver solder seems to be only advertised for jewelry making - Cost is a lot in uk. I gave up on it eventually.
That sucks, I just got mine on amazon in the states:
https://www.amazon.com/Ha-Sta-brite-100 ... B001HWDPS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.amazon.com/Harris-SCLF16-St ... 001HW8E1M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Took me a while to find the exact type of solder to avoid any metals other than tin and silver: http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/P ... #technical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So many others had lead, bismuth, antimony, or some other adder to lower melting temp.

Flux seems available in the UK, and thats the most important part: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harris-SCLF16- ... 001HW8E1M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thanks for those leads BDF 8)
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Just a follow up. The new element was the more expensive one and hasn't given me any trouble at all. I've made six good runs with it so my confidence is way up. I don't push over 17 Amps max now, way down from my 23 Amp runs. I've actually been running lower and lower Amperages just to feel out the best power for my rig. 11 Amps seems to be the sweet spot. The runs don't take any more time than my previous runs at much higher Amperages than I can measure. At 7 amps things slow down quite a bit.
With this set-up a five gallon run takes just a little over an hour. With cleanup it ends up being about 1:45 or so.
Tomb
Novice

Post by Tomb »

I was looking at a 5500W but was concerned that it would burn some of my more wheat based brews. (Previous short 2000w had done this). Found they have a 4400W that I can run wide open without any hot spots. Watching it work I think I would have had issues with a 5500W.

T