Bare Metal emerged after cleaning the element

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Bare Metal emerged after cleaning the element

Post by artooks »

Hi Everyone,

I have a camco 4500 watt LWD Stainless Steel Element (02929) it is a stainless steel incoloy element made from (804) SS I have been using it for sometime now, today I distilled my fig mash and as you could imagine it was a nightmare to clean the element, due to the sticky fig nature that found itself on the element, now I had to use the green side of scotch brite sponge to clean it, it cleaned but after it cleaned some parts on the element looked like the bare stainless steel is emerged so I was wondering whether this is normal for this to happen ? and can I use it safely like this. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3556.JPG
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bare Metal emerged after cleaning the element

Post by Expat »

To my eyes it looks like you've polished the surface rather than exposing the resistive coil inside.

You could safely confirm it's function by boiling some plain water, if it still works you're good to go.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by artooks »

Hi Yes I just scrubbed the surface the original color was greenish as you could see but the parts that I scrubbed looks metallic now so I was wondering if that is ok to use it like that because the greenish part now looks like metallic now
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Assuming you have a GFCI on the circuit, the worst that could happen if you trip out. The only way to be completely sure is to test it.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by bluefish_dist »

Normal. I have to scrub the elements in my still occasionally. They get shiny when they are clean.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

ExpatLad wrote:Assuming you have a GFCI on the circuit, the worst that could happen if you trip out. The only way to be completely sure is to test it.
Hi it is working perfectly ok I am just asking about the surface that I scrubbed it looks like the coating has been removed so I am asking regarding this, there is nothing wrong with its working.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

bluefish_dist wrote:Normal. I have to scrub the elements in my still occasionally. They get shiny when they are clean.
Hi, but does the original coating is also removed gradually ?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

artooks wrote:
bluefish_dist wrote:Normal. I have to scrub the elements in my still occasionally. They get shiny when they are clean.
I always assumed the original color was oxidation and not a coating. On mine you can see machine marks from the forming process. The elements are really tough. I have straightened them, scrubbed them, even an occasional dry fire without issues.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

bluefish_dist wrote:
artooks wrote:
I always assumed the original color was oxidation and not a coating. On mine you can see machine marks from the forming process. The elements are really tough. I have straightened them, scrubbed them, even an occasional dry fire without issues.
Hi,

Just checked the specifications of the element it says:

Why is the element darker than shiny no name elements?
Our elements have small radius bends and must be annealed to form them. The annealing process causes the surface of the element to oxidize and darken. The shiny no name elements either have larger radius bends or they are made from a softer, more malleable material that does not require annealing. The alloy used in our heating elements requires more steps in the manufacturing process, but we believe it gives a superior product.

What are the heating elements made of?
The base of the heating elements is made of 304 stainless steel and will not rust. The grey/charcoal heating rods are made from the highest Grade Nickel and Chromium Incoloy (804 stainless steel) which is high temperature and corrosion resistant. It is essentially a mix of premium grade nickel and stainless steel. Incoloy is about 8 times more expensive, lighter, and more corrosion resistant than standard 304/316 stainless steel. It will also not rust. High temperature resistance allows the heating element to resist damage in the event that it is fired dry (not in water) by accident.

so as far as I understand is that the annealing process causes the surface to darken when I scrub it it will reveal "highest Grade Nickel and Chromium Incoloy (804 stainless steel)" is that correct so what I see is the actual Stainless Steel rods that they are made of.
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

artooks wrote:
bluefish_dist wrote:
artooks wrote:
Hi,

Just checked the specifications of the element it says:

Why is the element darker than shiny no name elements?
Our elements have small radius bends and must be annealed to form them. The annealing process causes the surface of the element to oxidize and darken. The shiny no name elements either have larger radius bends or they are made from a softer, more malleable material that does not require annealing. The alloy used in our heating elements requires more steps in the manufacturing process, but we believe it gives a superior product.

What are the heating elements made of?
The base of the heating elements is made of 304 stainless steel and will not rust. The grey/charcoal heating rods are made from the highest Grade Nickel and Chromium Incoloy (804 stainless steel) which is high temperature and corrosion resistant. It is essentially a mix of premium grade nickel and stainless steel. Incoloy is about 8 times more expensive, lighter, and more corrosion resistant than standard 304/316 stainless steel. It will also not rust. High temperature resistance allows the heating element to resist damage in the event that it is fired dry (not in water) by accident.

so as far as I understand is that the annealing process causes the surface to darken when I scrub it it will reveal "highest Grade Nickel and Chromium Incoloy (804 stainless steel)" is that correct so what I see is the actual Stainless Steel rods that they are made of.
Yes it sounds like you don’t have to worry about anything bad leaching out when you use it. Good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk