Tower of Power

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Burl Jerkins
Novice

Tower of Power

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Has anyone used the Blichmann Tower of Power 240v controller for distilling? Have a question about temperature probe placement.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Tower of Power

Post by fizzix »

I'm assuming you have the electric controller model instead of the gas controller one.
Don't use the temperature probe for distilling*. Instead, put it in Power Control "ON" mode to modulate the power by dialing in a percentage.
Crank it up high to get the boil going, then dial back the percentage to get a fine pencil lead product stream coming out of the spout.

*You can't run a boiler by temperature. A reliable product stream can only be controlled by power input to the heater.

I've never used the Tower Of Power, and I'm only going by the manual's instructions. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will have better advice.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

When I saw tower of power I was thinking 69-70's R&B. Gettin old as gold. As the fizzman said and we are also assuming that you are still running a pot still. And also taking it that you own one already. If you don't there are other options for less money.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

I have not purchased yet. I've looked at other controllers, most seem like home built junk compared to the ToP. Would love some ideas. Want 240 for sure.
Last edited by Burl Jerkins on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

acfixer69 wrote:When I saw tower of power I was thinking 69-70's R&B. Gettin old as gold. As the fizzman said and we are also assuming that you are still running a pot still. And also taking it that you own one already. If you don't there are other options for less money.
Running a 13 gallon milk can with a 2 foot, non-reflux, copper column.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

If you don't have one, there's DEFINITELY less expensive options. C'mon you controller guys. Where are ya?
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

I have some time. Really want electric to do runs in the summer. Can't use gas in private when it's 80 outside, too hot in the garage!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

There are many controllers out there and you can spend as much as you want. The one that stilldragon sell is as good as any and if you are the least bit handy can assemble it. I'm not affiliated in any way but giving you an option.
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-la ... oller.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Burl Jerkins wrote:I have some time. Really want electric to do runs in the summer. Can't use gas in private when it's 80 outside, too hot in the garage!
Electric is the way to go for most in the burbs got to go inside and for me it was the only way.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

acfixer69 wrote:There are many controllers out there and you can spend as much as you want. The one that stilldragon sell is as good as any and if you are the least bit handy can assemble it. I'm not affiliated in any way but giving you an option.
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-la ... oller.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That does look pretty simple and the price is right. Do you use this setup?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Many many distillers world wide are using the option that AC posted up , The other thing is way over priced for what you need. :shock: :shock:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Burl Jerkins wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:There are many controllers out there and you can spend as much as you want. The one that stilldragon sell is as good as any and if you are the least bit handy can assemble it. I'm not affiliated in any way but giving you an option.
That does look pretty simple and the price is right. Do you use this setup?

Yes very similar to it but I built mine before the evolution of controllers. I wish that choice was out there 8 years ago.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

build your own. i built mine. not that hard. might cost you about a hundred dollars with parts.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

How big is your element??

If it is fairly low capacity you probably don't need a controller at all. What do you experts say?

Geoff
The Baker
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

nuntius01 wrote:build your own. i built mine. not that hard. might cost you about a hundred dollars with parts.
That's why I sent him that direction one stop and 50 bucks and at your door.
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

I am running the controller kit from still dragon on a 5500 watt heater. It works great. I do want to add an ampmeter to it as part of my flute upgrade. I will be fixing a second keg up for runing the flute I am working on and will upgrade the controller as well a bit.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Thanks folks! Think I will just build one myself. I'm pretty handy, mechanic by trade, can probably figure it out. Have a great electrician's supply store close.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I've built two controllers using the Auber SSVRs ... add a meter to facilitate a repeatable process.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

greggn wrote:> https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I've built two controllers using the Auber SSVRs ... add a meter to facilitate a repeatable process.

Meter? Should probably know what you are talking about, but tell me anyway, lol! Ammeter?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> Meter? Should probably know what you are talking about, but tell me anyway, lol! Ammeter?

Yes, an ammeter.

Having grown tired of pencil marks on my first build I added the following to my second build to provide a more consistent and repeatable process.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

greggn wrote:> Meter? Should probably know what you are talking about, but tell me anyway, lol! Ammeter?

Yes, an ammeter.

Having grown tired of pencil marks on my first build I added the following to my second build to provide a more consistent and repeatable process.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

What about a digital PID controller? Any drawbacks other than price point?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

PIDs are useless for distillation. Plenty of threads on that topic.....

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Expat wrote:PIDs are useless for distillation. Plenty of threads on that topic.....

Good to know. Was wondering if I was supposed to search through threads instead of asking questions?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Burl Jerkins wrote:
Expat wrote:PIDs are useless for distillation. Plenty of threads on that topic.....

Good to know. Was wondering if I was supposed to search through threads instead of asking questions?
Yes actually, searching with the "HD Google Search" function and then ask.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Hi Burl.

I am running the controller from StillDragon, I went to the larger size for ease of building (have fat hands).
I did not put a meter on it, went to Harbor Freight and got a clamp on multimeter, it works but I am still planning on getting a meter on the box.
I have a 15.5 keg with a 4500w 240v element. only reason I don't use the 5500w is because I thought I had a defective one and when I returned it there only had 4500w in stock.
I also am using the Element guard Kit from SD.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Here's how to use the HD Google Search if you need to know, Burl:
search.jpg
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:Hi Burl.
box
I am running the controller from StillDragon, I went to the larger size for ease of building (have fat hands).
I did not put a meter on it, went to Harbor Freight and got a clamp on multimeter, it works but I am still planning on getting a meter on the box.
I have a 15.5 keg with a 4500w 240v element. only reason I don't use the 5500w is because I thought I had a defective one and when I returned it there only had 4500w in stock.
I also am using the Element guard Kit from SD.

Thanks for the info.

I pieced together a set up using Auber and Amazon. Gonna be $300 deep by the time it's over, but most of that cost is in the damn cord and plugs, actual controller components were under $150.

Doing a 5500w element, ammeter/voltmeter, circuit breaker/power switch, and an indicator light. 8x8 box with external heat sink for SSR. Pretty excited to put it together when it all gets here. I'll post some pics when I get it going.

Was thinking about the element guard, but I'm using the Dernord heating element that is in a zig-zag shape, so kinda screwed there. Run clean thin wash most of the time anyway. Will just use my gas burner if I do a thicker wash. Going electric so we can run in the summer months.
Borneogoat
Novice

Post by Borneogoat »

I looked at the Still Dragon controller, because I run a still that is very similar. The electrician at work looked at it and said, "Wanna save 50% and a couple hours putting it together?" I now use one of these, works great. This is on Australian Ebay, but I'm sure they can be found elsewhere...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122813028968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
A solution is a homogeneous mixture composed of two or more substances. In such a mixture, a solute is a substance dissolved in another substance, known as a solvent. Therefore, whiskey is a solution despite what any tee-totaling jerk tells you.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Alright. All done. First run with this baby happening Saturday. Did a test with water, pretty impressive, brought 10 gal to boil in 32 min.
Attachments
20180310_190134.jpg
20180310_214442.jpg
20180310_214400.jpg
20180310_214304.jpg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

That looks awesome Burl. Good luck on Saturday.

AC