Submersible heater which one?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Submersible heater which one?

Post by Hilltop »

Hey guys with a 40 gallon still I wouldn't have this issue, but to do a barrel of beer with my 14 gallon pot I'm having to heat two additional 5 gallon pots of water, which is a pain in the ass.

I've dropped the steam wand as propane costs are beginning to be a serious issue I switched back to powdered Alpha amalaze which works from 152 to 158.

I've found steeping my ground to meal grain for two days then pouring 21 gallons of boiling water puts me about 165.

Im getting good results, but the drop from 165 to 140 doesn't take long. So the obvious answer is a submersible heater but which one? Hoping to save some time and money by not buying an inferior type heater.

Propane in my area recently went from 15 bucks per 5 gallon to 21 bucks. Doesn't seem like much but it takes my small 14 gallon boiler work a long time to steam my grain for high temp enzymes.

The normal range powdered enzymes seem to work great. I had to learn don't skimp with them I'm using two ounces per barrel now.

I've used the liquid enzymes but not with as much success.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
NineInchNails

Re: Submersible heater which one?

Post by NineInchNails »

Do you mean one of these type of elements? Camco Stainless Steel

If so, go with the biggest you can install. Ideally the 5,500W 240V rippled, fold-back element.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Do you mean a heater element that you put at the base of a pot as the one NiN showed or an element with a cord that you submerse in your pot like the ones for tea like this one ?
pctdetail.769-315.1.jpg
pctdetail.769-315.1.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You must be using Brewhaus enzymes like I do. The 152° to 158° gave it away.
May not be the answer for you, but I dose the high temp enzyme at 155° (halfway between 152 & 158, for temp. error), then the malt and wrap my fermenter with a St. Louis Rams blanket.
About the only thing the Rams never let me down with. Leave it wrapped for 90 minutes.
I can't say I've checked the temperature at the end of 90 minutes other than it's still "hot".
Then I fill the fermenter with cold water, and either wait an hour or let it sit overnight. Then it's ready for your low temp gluco-amylase.
NEVER a failed ferment.
Does this help? Or are you set on a heater?
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

fizzix wrote:You must be using Brewhaus enzymes like I do. The 152° to 158° gave it away.
May not be the answer for you, but I dose the high temp enzyme at 155° (halfway between 152 & 158, for temp. error), then the malt and wrap my fermenter with a St. Louis Rams blanket.
About the only thing the Rams never let me down with. Leave it wrapped for 90 minutes.
I can't say I've checked the temperature at the end of 90 minutes other than it's still "hot".
Then I fill the fermenter with cold water, and either wait an hour or let it sit overnight. Then it's ready for your low temp gluco-amylase.
NEVER a failed ferment.
Does this help? Or are you set on a heater?
Yes it the Brewhaus enzymes, and to me these are the best I've tried. I have a radiator type oil heater next to the barrel that keeps the mash around 80.

Are you fermenting barrels? My mash is already down to 1.004 and still working, so what I'm doing is working, but i certainly didn't stay 152 to 158 for 90 minutes more like thirty which is why I want a submersible heater that will work at those temps. I guess thirty minutes with these Brewhaus enzymes is enough.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

cede wrote:Do you mean a heater element that you put at the base of a pot as the one NiN showed or an element with a cord that you submerse in your pot like the ones for tea like this one ?
pctdetail.769-315.1.jpg
That's exactly the kind I want, but will it go to 158? How do you control the temp? I need one to hold mash 152 to 158 and then a fermenting temp of 80

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Okay, one more suggestion. I have this temperature controller from another project. You set the temperature you want to keep constant. There's 2 standard 120vac outlets on it marked HEATING and COOLING, and a temp probe.

-Above the target temperature you program, the COOLING outlet is on (for a chiller, etc.) and the HEATING outlet is off.
-Below the target temperature, the reverse happens, HEATING is on (for a heater, etc.) and the COOLING outlet is off.

I use mine with a 120vac sounder in the HEATING outlet. When 155° is met, the sounder rings and I know it's amylase time. You would use a dumb immersible heater.
bbb.jpg
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Hilltop wrote: That's exactly the kind I want, but will it go to 158? How do you control the temp? I need one to hold mash 152 to 158 and then a fermenting temp of 80
Depends on the power of the heater and insulation, but yes you should be able to reach the temp.
The controler fizzix is showing seems nice.
I use a chinese crap thermostat for my needs, cost 15$ but you have to put it in a box, wire it, ground it and so on.... I have many electrical parts for free so I do it, but else I would have buy one already wired an safe.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

I use a PID controller from Auber Instruments

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... x&cPath=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And this stainless bucket heater

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Premie ... B000BDB4UG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Just did my first 55 gallon TPW wash, and it stayed within .2 of a degree throughout
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

fizzix wrote:Okay, one more suggestion. I have this temperature controller from another project. You set the temperature you want to keep constant. There's 2 standard 120vac outlets on it marked HEATING and COOLING, and a temp probe.

-Above the target temperature you program, the COOLING outlet is on (for a chiller, etc.) and the HEATING outlet is off.
-Below the target temperature, the reverse happens, HEATING is on (for a heater, etc.) and the COOLING outlet is off.

I use mine with a 120vac sounder in the HEATING outlet. When 155° is met, the sounder rings and I know it's amylase time. You would use a dumb immersible heater.
bbb.jpg
Sounds good, do you have the name brand or link to it?

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

fizzix wrote:Okay, one more suggestion. I have this temperature controller from another project. You set the temperature you want to keep constant. There's 2 standard 120vac outlets on it marked HEATING and COOLING, and a temp probe.

bbb.jpg

I think I found it fizzix is this it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077N22T3W/re ... 5718471013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Click the underlined "this" in the first sentence above.

Or here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FKG4CC/re ... 6308171578
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Fizzix, if I'm understanding you correctly your using this to heat your mash from zero to 155, your not boiling any water, is that correct?

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

fizzix wrote:Click the underlined "this" in the first sentence above.

Or here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FKG4CC/re ... 6308171578
Sorry I didn't see the highlighted blue, thanks.