New Controller

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Controller

Post by Expat »

Oldvine Zin wrote:So one of my setbacks was that the cool din mount gfic circuit breakers I bought were listed as two pole 240 vac but in reality are one pole and a hot = 1 hot and 1 neutral :( and the only other breakers that I could find were marine grade and lots of bucks.Scrapped the idea of having separate gfic breakers in the panel went with just a 50 amp on the main
50ampgfic.JPG
OVZ
Hot tub GFCI boxes can be used inline between the breaker and the plug, they can generally be had used for a reasonable sum. I'm using a 50a unit salvaged from a removal.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Expat wrote:
Hot tub GFCI boxes can be used inline between the breaker and the plug, they can generally be had used for a reasonable sum. I'm using a 50a unit salvaged from a removal.
Got mine on ebay, new and less than half the price of the big box store :) And I had space in the main panel for it.

OVZ
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

I bought this controller but I don't think it will work.....it is to regulate my 5500 watt element....is anyone familiar at all with wiring this up?
Thanks

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Looks like says 4000W, can't really tell from that photo but if it is you are correct and it probably will fry :twisted:

be safe
OVZ
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Looks like says 4000W, can't really tell from that photo but if it is you are correct and it probably will fry :twisted:

be safe
OVZ
This the link...https://www.amazon.com/uniquegoods-Cont ... B01M3XZBV9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

Heatsink doesn't look big enough to handle full 5500watt for long time. I'd add a fan. Otherwise looks OK.
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

sambedded wrote:Heatsink doesn't look big enough to handle full 5500watt for long time. I'd add a fan. Otherwise looks OK.
Having a hard time figuring out how this would wire up?
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

+ 1 for the fan but it is rated for 10000 watts so you are in the ball park. Forget about the common terminal and just wire half of your heater through it.
One hot directly to the element and the other through the controller.

be safe
OVZ
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

charlie2K wrote:
Having a hard time figuring out how this would wire up?
Are you talking about a fan wiring or controller itself? Controller wiring is shown on its side.

BTW I did some estimations - heatsink size is OK for 5500 Watt element if heatsink will be exposed outside of your controller box. Otherwise you definitely need a fan.
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

That's awesome guys thanks for the help....im not going to do a box just yet maybe down the road but I would like to hook an ampmeter to it....is that possible with no neutral wire.....im only running 2 hots and a ground?
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

Sure you can connect an amp meter with no problem. Which one you wanna use? Analog or digital?
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

sambedded wrote:Sure you can connect an amp meter with no problem. Which one you wanna use? Analog or digital?
Just your normal analogy....i just need some sort of reading for future reference
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

charlie2K wrote:
sambedded wrote:Sure you can connect an amp meter with no problem. Which one you wanna use? Analog or digital?
Just your normal analogy....i just need some sort of reading for future reference
Or maybe a volt meter would be better....not too sure yet
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Picked up my front face label today from the printer, now I can start mounting components and wiring :)
CP10.JPG
Hope to get it up and running this week,I've been without a controller for almost 3 weeks and my still feels neglected,

OVZ
charlie2K
Novice

Post by charlie2K »

So I think I've decided on an amp meter and fans....im only running 10 3 wire no neutral so I would be best to go with 240v devices....lamp,gauge,fans etc? I am going to put it all neatly in a box ive decided just to keep things neat and organized..do I only need a shunt for the meter or do I shunt the light and fans as well?....sorry to keep asking silly questions I have been reading a lot but getting answers from you guys of my own questions does help me more......anyhoot thanks in advance.
Charlie
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Starting to look good Oldvine..

Can I place an order for one...

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

StillerBoy wrote:Starting to look good Oldvine..

Can I place an order for one...

Mars
Sure - I'm thinking about making the next one all copper, no plastic box.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Did a little more wiring today, hope to have it finished and tested tomorrow.
cpalmost.JPG

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Finished wiring today, now I just have to update the plugs on my heater and pump.
ctlr1.JPG
ctlr2.JPG
ctlr3.JPG
ctlr4.JPG
I hope to fire it up tonight - also hope that the magic smoke stays inside!

be safe
OVZ
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Looking great OVZ. You do nice work. :clap:

I especially like the analog gauges. The display on both of the digital meters I have tried went bad. I have ditched the digital meters and I am planning to throw on an analog Amp meter.

My fingers are crossed for your test firing tonight. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Just WOW! :clap:

OVZ this is an impressive piece of work!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Still working out some bugs :(

Powered up fine (all the smoke stayed in) and all the lights functioned proper but under load the main GFCI would pop with the 110 volt side loaded. Went through all the wiring and it all looked proper :?: After a lot of head scratching I tried attaching a load directly, (bypassing my controller) to the main GFCI. Same results on the 110 vac devices, so an unbalanced load was popping it-- defective breaker, seemed like the neutral wasn't being properly measured. Replaced the breaker with a new one and that solved that problem.

Turned the element on and it popped the F@#%&ing new breaker. After rechecking all the connections again determined that they were OK so WTF? I measured the resistance between the element's hot"s and ground and discovered a few K ohms to earth - so maybe that's the cause (something that the previous non GFCI did not detect?)

I ordered a new element today and should have it by Friday, I hope that that was the issue.

Trying to be safe
OVZ
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

If you have 5 ma trip current breaker it will be enough to have around 20KOhms between hot and ground to trip it.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Lookin good OVZ..

I've wired a few of these controllers, and wiring does take some time.. I take the time to add solder all the end end of the wire where they are screwed in, and quick connect all other connections for quick change of a defective item..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

StillerBoy wrote:Lookin good OVZ..

I've wired a few of these controllers, and wiring does take some time.. I take the time to add solder all the end end of the wire where they are screwed in, and quick connect all other connections for quick change of a defective item..

Mars
I'm with you on that but I use crimp ferules on all the wire ends to terminal block connections, I didn't have the ferules for the 8 gauge wire so I did tin them with a solder pot and flux. The bitch was everything in the controller box was fine - just that the GFCI at the main was defective as well as my element :evil:

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

The new element showed up today, this is the one I ordered : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I really like the integrated L6-30 plug and I had already wired that connector to the panel. I'll prob also order replacement Camco element for my other as a spare.

Put the new element in fired up the controller and every thing works as planned :thumbup: I feel much safer now that I have a GFCI in the system, the regular breaker kept sending current to the damaged element with my old setup.

My only complaint ( it's minor) with that element is there seems to be a little contamination from the machining process. Tomorrow I'll heat it up with some vinegar water, then some watered down heads for cleaning.

Be safe
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

cpon.JPG
All fired up for a new year run

Happy new-year everyone
OVZ
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice, not sure what all the knobs a switches are for but can guess that maybe you have more than one heater element thus you can shut one down after reaching temps.

OK after reading previous posts I notice a fan as well. Helps to read a few posts up :oops:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote:Nice, not sure what all the knobs a switches are for but can guess that maybe you have more than one heater element thus you can shut one down after reaching temps.

:
OK lots of bling in that controller, the left side is the element control, center is the control for my 220 vac cooling pump , and the right is a 110 vac control for either my little chugger pump or the fan on my water cooler. Both have a on/off switch and a momentary.
It might seem like an overkill, but pre controller I would turn them on/off by unplugging them sometimes standing in a puddle of water :shock:

Mashing today I really enjoyed having switches and everything GFCI protected :D

Happy new-year
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I had a chance to do a few runs with the controller. So far I really like it, it's so nice to have all the control at a central panel. No more plugging and unplugging to turn things on and off, plus with the ground fault protection I feel a bit safer now.

I did play around with the coarse an fine adjustments, wow that's a lot of control. Since I was doing stripping runs with Lindzy my 4" stripper I really didn't need that kind of adjustments,(she loves to run at full power), where as Ana my flute prefers a little more control to run properly. Should be doing a gin run with her soon.

Thanks for all the advice
OVZ