Pump attached to still during run

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Distilaholic
Novice

Pump attached to still during run

Post by Distilaholic »

So last year I put a pump on my still so that I can distill on the grains (Barley not Corn) Which honestly seems to work quite well so far as long as I remove the buildup once in a while.

Now I showed my buddy my setup today and he said he thinks the pump is too dangerous but couldn't explain why exactly. One of his examples was that when the pump plugs, vapor might get into the pipes and get ignited through the pump because it is not a special explosion free pump.

I feel like the pump is just as dangerous as my heating element or at least less dangerous than someone using an open flame.

But now I am getting second thoughts because I don't want to blow up myself :crazy: . Would like to hear your opinions.

This is the pump I am talking about:

https://product-selection.grundfos.com/ ... =465623441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Pump attached to still during run

Post by DAD300 »

Well, that's a nice pump.

The pump is only a danger if you spill fresh distillate on it!

Mash is flammable.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

DAD300 wrote:Mash is flammable.
I would like to have some of your yeast, please.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Distilaholic wrote:So last year I put a pump on my still so that I can distill on the grains
What is the pump used for, cooling water, mash or distillate :?:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Distilaholic wrote:...he thinks the pump is too dangerous but couldn't explain why exactly.
I wouldn't take too much notice of someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote:
DAD300 wrote:Mash is flammable.
I would like to have some of your yeast, please.
NZChris ... I think DAD did a typo .... he’s thinking same as you .... Mash doesn’t burn . :thumbup:
Distilaholic
Novice

Post by Distilaholic »

DAD300 wrote:Well, that's a nice pump.

The pump is only a danger if you spill fresh distillate on it!

Mash is flammable.
It sure is, bought it cheapish too, it was used for drinking water. Guessing you meant mash isnt flammable ofc.
shadylane wrote:
Distilaholic wrote:So last year I put a pump on my still so that I can distill on the grains
What is the pump used for, cooling water, mash or distillate :?:
Pumping the mash so that the grains are in suspense and not burning on the element. Working fine so far, I guess because I am only using grains like barley and wheat and not corn (the corn variety sucks in my country)

I got a smaller still without a pump I use for the spirit run. So no distillate is getting pumped around.
NZChris wrote:
Distilaholic wrote:...he thinks the pump is too dangerous but couldn't explain why exactly.
I wouldn't take too much notice of someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.
I can only hope so :D
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Seems to me the biggest risk will be getting plugged by solids and bad things happening to the pump or wash, not explosion.

If you got distillate on it while it was running that might catch fire, I guess, but like you said that applies to any electrical components you have near your still.

Most likely mishap I could predict is that the solids just block it from pumping and your heating element (which I assume is immersed in the wash) burns the solids in the wash which makes it taste terrible. Maybe the pump motor burns out too if the impeller jams.