Looking for some help from a Senior C++ developer

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

theskaz
Novice

Looking for some help from a Senior C++ developer

Post by theskaz »

I have, over the past few years, worked on building a control board. I wanted it to be able to brew beer and distill. I got the board done, but the coding for it is proving to be difficult. I intend on the code being open source, but would like to get it basically working first before I link it out to the masses. Is there someone here that wouldn't mind assisting me? Basically I need help getting the architecture of the program in place, I can code the rest of it. All my friends are c# developers (as am I) and don't think about memory usage and cycles lol.

what's in it for you? I would prefer giving you a board, but if other compensation is requested, we can have that discussion.

20191219_093637_resized.jpg
20191219_093648_resized.jpg
20191219_093652_resized.jpg
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Re: Looking for some help from a Senior C++ developer

Post by amdamgraham »

You mention being a C+ developer but there may be more Python folks out there who could write something - then you just need to brush up on python for editing? Just a thought.
theskaz
Novice

Post by theskaz »

I am pretty fluent in python, but due to the integration and low level controls, c++is my best bet.
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

What microprocessor are you using?

I've done projects using the Teensy Microprocessors, and one of my older projects was featured on Hackaday in 2014.
theskaz
Novice

Post by theskaz »

It is based on an ESP32-WROOM-32U

Funny enough, I have 3 one-wire busses on here for temp sensors. I was taking an arduino-coding approach to this using the arduino-esp32 library but the project has outgrown the capabilities of the Arduino IDE and im now using VS Code with PlatformIO
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

theskaz wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:59 am It is based on an ESP32-WROOM-32U

Funny enough, I have 3 one-wire busses on here for temp sensors. I was taking an arduino-coding approach to this using the arduino-esp32 library but the project has outgrown the capabilities of the Arduino IDE and im now using VS Code with PlatformIO
I've also worked with the ESP8266 and ESP32. I currently have an ESP32 monitoring 8 DS18B20s on separate 1-wire busses and providing output to 8 I2C display devices while simultaneously sending data to a webpage via UDP for inclusion in a database. I'm not even close to outgrowing the capabilities of the Arduino IDE.

In my recent projects, I've returned to the Teensy devices simply because the Teensys
have more I/O, are faster, cost-effective, and less troublesome. I still use the ESP8266 or ESP32 for their WiFi capabilities, under the control of the Teensy.

I use the Arduino IDE simply because many noobs can then use the code with a minimum of problems.
MexicanCustard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MexicanCustard »

Have you started a GitHub repository? I'm a full stack developer in my day job but it's been years since I wrote anything in C++. These days I write more C#. If you've got a repository maybe I can look at what you have and help you figure it out.
theskaz
Novice

Post by theskaz »

Sorry, holidays got in the way.

here is my Github:
https://github.com/hicotton02/BeverageController

it might be hard to read because I am in the middle of just trying to figure out what to do. Here is a list of requirements that I set, and would like to implement:
  • All factors of the Brew Controller/Still (BDC for short) can be controlled through the display or IoT(Alexa for example)
  • If an IoT command comes in, it notifies the display, and vice versa
  • The display is a Nextion 7" or 10" display
  • It will display current IP Address, SSID, and Amperage across the top of any page
  • any errors should be displayed on the current page
  • any and all safety measures should kill the system. An example is if you are using a recirculating pump and the temp goes above 200. (means you arent knocking down vapors anymore
In Distill Mode:
  • A user can pick auto or manual
  • auto means that it will run boiler up to X temp @ 100% power, and once foreshots start, pull it back to Y% power, and maybe some other things. not meant to be a set it and forget it thing, just somewhat intelligent
  • manual means you can turn on the boiler, and recirculating pump manually, set the power % manually, and monitor temps on screen
in Brew Mode:
  • a user can pick auto or manual
  • right now, manual is all I care about
  • A user can set through IoT or display, the target temp for the Hlt, Mlt, and boiler.
  • once temps are set, and user turns on element with a button (or IoT input) a PID kicks off controlling the rise to temp.
  • There is a timer on the screen where a user can set the time, and have it count down until 0. (for example if your final boil should be for 90 minutes, you can track that)