TS AMA Electric Corn Grinder

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Broken Jug
Bootlegger

TS AMA Electric Corn Grinder

Post by Broken Jug »

I'm looking to purchase a grinder for corn. I have seen that a lot of people on this site use the Corona grinder. It is very reasonably priced, but I'm not sure if I want to sit-down and hand crank 50 lbs of corn all the time.

In my search, I came across a 13 gal. electric grinder at TS, it's a "AMA USA Electric Grain Grinder, 13 gal" from TS.

It has pretty good reviews, but it's not cheap ~$229.99 US. But if it saves me time, and my arm, I think it would be worth it.
I have a lot of corn to grind.

Anyway, has anyone used one, or know someone who has?
Attachments
image.png
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: TS AMA Electric Corn Grinder

Post by Tummydoc »

I use that and love it. The finest screen turns corn and barley into flour. Oats have more oil and clog the finest screen. The next size grinds to a fine meal. Will do a 25 lb bag of corn in 15 min. Only drawback is the blue head doesn't quite fit a 5 gallon bucket so you use their barrel. It has a ridge inside that likes to trap the last cup of flour.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

I have one also. It is a joy to use. Like TD said, it. will go through 30 pounds of barley or corn no time. It’s a little bit of a pain to clean but Not terrible. I did discover that the grand plates are not stainless and will develop a rust coating. I keep mine in a zip black Locke bag with a small amount of canola oil and that solves the problem.
If you have a lot of corn to grind, you will not regret it.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

If you do corn, there isn't a cheaper hammer mill that i know of for the hobbyist. I do 50 Gal ferments. 6:1:1 corn, barley, rye. Easy peasy. I use the small plate. 25 lbs will fill a 5 gal bucket. i.e. grind 25 lbs and then remove mill, place a 5 gal bucket on the top of the container and invert it. Rinse and repeat.

Well worth grinding to flour, I get mid 90% brew-house efficiency. YMMV depending on your process (Ph, enzyme temps, etc).
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Broken Jug wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:14 pmBut if it saves me time, and my arm, I think it would be worth it.
When you're pricing the Corona mill add in the price of a quality 1/2" chuck corded electric drill. No way you want to try to hand crank through 50# of grain, not even once.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

HD has a vast library of threads available for those keen to type their query into the search box above upper right. Hint: as your knowledge base grows this function will become an indispensable tool and your best friend.

Here are two threads that should help you answer your question.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=69953

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76085&p=7595151&hil ... l#p7595151
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Fri May 01, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

It's one of the few products, for this hobby, that I can recommend without reservation. I only wish I had purchased mine years earlier.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Thank you all for all the good info. Even though reviews are helpful, they are not always reliable.

I'm glad I asked, and I'm very happy with all the positive replies by everyone about the "TS AMA Electric Corn Grinder."

As soon as the wife will let me (I like to think that I'm the boss of my castle, but I'm not, just wishful thinking), I'll get one ordered.

Thanks again!!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

New grinder is cheaper than a new wife..... just sayin!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Broken Jug wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:15 pmThank you...As soon as the wife will let me (I like to think that I'm the boss of my castle, but I'm not, just wishful thinking), I'll get one ordered...
Yea, go ahead and use the kitchen coffee grinder to mill your corn. After a day grinding and the dust in the kitchen, she’ll gladly give you some money for a real grain mill.....or not! We’ll soon see who the “ man of the house” is. :lol:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kpex72
Novice

Post by kpex72 »

This falls into the category of: if you have the $$, you will wish you bought one years ago. I consider it a must have.

When running whole corn, I use the second from the coarsest screen, then re-grinding again using the second from the finest. Quickly turns a 50Lb bag of whole corn into a nice flour in under 20 minutes. I found this approach to actually be faster than running whole corn through the finer screen in a single run.

The only downside is using their bucket/barrel as it has ridges in it, and it is a little bulky to store.

Also - buy the lid for their barrel, too, as well as a spare SS blade.
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Well I did it, I just ordered the grinder from TS. After trying an older Carona mill, I didn’t like it , nothing . wrong with the mill, just too time consuming and hard on the body to grind 50 pounds.

I’ve always just used straight cracked corn, and have made decent likker (depending on who you ask). But now, I want to try to make better likker, at least a better tasting corn likker, buy using finer ground corn.

Wish me luck!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Glad your wife let you get this. I did 50 lbs corn, 20 lbs barley, and 20 lbs oat yesterday, less than half hour. Hardest part was remembering which string you cut and pull to open the grain bag. Well, .... and deciding which beer to drink while the grinder did the work.
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:22 pm Glad your wife let you get this.
She has no idea I ordered it. I'll beg for forgiveness when it shows up, should be here Friday.

Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:22 pm Hardest part was remembering which string you cut and pull to open the grain bag.
:lolno:

Don't you hate that!! I do that all the time! You would think after 50 plus years, that I would have figured it out by now. NOT!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Ok, I've come up with a mnemonic: "single is right". If you are facing the single strand side, the strings on the right end are the ones you want to undo. Not a comment on relationships....well maybe!