5000W 220V SCR Controller - "Review"

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

5000W 220V SCR Controller - "Review"

Post by Andrew_90 »

So I ordered one of these which arrived today. My experience with Chinese electronic products is that normally the power components are underrated so the first order of business was to open the controller and to see what was inside. This you can do without being invasive.

Shock and Horror. They actually had fitted a Triac worthy of the application. The Triac they fitted is a BTA41600B which is essentially a 600V, 40A device that triggers at 50mA. So in this instance the Triac is overrated as the device requires a current of circa 23A to cope with the 5 000W rating. So there is headroom which is great. I have a feeling that the rating is more related to the heat dissipation and that it could cope with more with additional cooling (this is an opinion only).

The second thing is the lightweight finned housing which is an excellent heatsink. The only modification I did was to unscrew the Triac and to place some thermally conductive past on the rear of the Triac and to refit.

So although I have yet to plug it in to my 2 500W element I am pleasantly pleased with the purchase and confident that it will do what is required and do so for a while.

Attachments
image.png
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 5000W 220V SCR Controller - "Review"

Post by Corsaire »

Good to know, thanks. I don't know anything about electronics so I just bought two in case one lets the smoke out.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I have this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000844 ... 08-2908-27 = 2100bb4716044366116146660e49db & ws_ab_test = searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_
I put it in a box along with a small 5v fan and it works perfectly, maybe without ventilation it would have died sooner. If I were to make one now I would probably use a ssr system
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

I have been real busy and only managed to get around to rigging this up now.

In the interim ordered a readout display unit so I could see the kW dialed into the element. Don't need half the stuff on the readout but it is nice from a geek point of view. The controller on the right. Just need to find a suitable project box to finish off the controller.

Works like a treat, the resolution is good and yesterday a tested with water only. I could dial in drip, drip, drip spurt with no problems, something I was unable to consistently do with the PID Controller. Had about 15l in the keg and 1.3kW was perfect for distilled water.

Real chuffed.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good stuff .
Looks like you wired the meter up so the smoke won’t come out . :ebiggrin:
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Andrew_90 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:49 pm I could dial in drip, drip, drip spurt with no problems, something I was unable to consistently do with the PID Controller.
Should post this somewhere or I've got to remember this threat next time someone comes in fighting that a PID work well for stilling..

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Looks nice!

Do you have any additional info on it like vendor, part #, pricing, delivery times, these kind of things.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Apologies missed this post. Do you still require the information?
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

The digital display is;

https://www.banggood.com/PZEM-022-Open- ... rehouse=CN

The Voltage Regulator is;

https://www.banggood.com/5000W-AC-220V- ... mds=search

But the digital display, it is well worth it for control purpose.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Andrew_90 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am The digital display is;

https://www.banggood.com/PZEM-022-Open- ... rehouse=CN

The Voltage Regulator is;

https://www.banggood.com/5000W-AC-220V- ... mds=search

But the digital display, it is well worth it for control purpose.
the voltage meter, does it connect before the SCR or after?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I will be coming from my 4 prong dryer outlet ( 30AMP 220V ) 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground to the SCR, and then off to a 3 prong chinesium (5500W 240V(35cm) ) element 2 hots, 1 neutral.
I am intending to use an SCR in the middle.

1. Can I ask you to make me a napkin sketch of the wiring schematic and help me understand how this is wired?
2. What is the correct way to manage the ground wire?

I assume I can
a) buy a 10-foot dryer replacement cord as they are nice and cheap but still 10 gauge and with the plug on one and 4 bare wires on the other to get me to my SCR project box.
b) buy a 10 guage (3 or 4)??? wire cable and female 3 prong plug to run to the heating element.

I don't understand whether I should be running the ground off to some metal water pipes, grounding the still, or ignoring the ground wire altogether.
My knowledge of electrocules is fairly limited and I would like to avoid killing myself through ignorance.

Thanks,
T.
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

tiramisu wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:21 pm I will be coming from my 4 prong dryer outlet ( 30AMP 220V ) 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground to the SCR, and then off to a 3 prong chinesium (5500W 240V(35cm) ) element 2 hots, 1 neutral. That is probably 2 hots and ground. The 220V is between the two hot wires. Neutral is not used. Grounding is required for safety.
I am intending to use an SCR in the middle.

1. Can I ask you to make me a napkin sketch of the wiring schematic and help me understand how this is wired?
2. What is the correct way to manage the ground wire? The ground is very important for safety and most metal things not actually carrying current typically get grounded.

I assume I can
a) buy a 10-foot dryer replacement cord as they are nice and cheap but still 10 gauge and with the plug on one and 4 bare wires on the other to get me to my SCR project box. Yes, I do this
b) buy a 10 guage (3 or 4)??? wire cable and female 3 prong plug to run to the heating element. Yes, 3 wire. You may want to pay attention to which plugs and outlet you use since some are for 120V and some for 240V.

I don't understand whether I should be running the ground off to some metal water pipes, grounding the still, or ignoring the ground wire altogether. Use the ground wire that is supplied by dryer circuit.
My knowledge of electrocules is fairly limited and I would like to avoid killing myself through ignorance. You might get some local help to make sure you are safe.

Thanks,
T.
Here is a pick of the AC parts of heater element controller I built for my brewing system.
electrical.jpg
I use a 50 amp SPA GFCI panel as master on/off and for the GFCI protection since the dryer circuit I have lacks this feature. I highly recommend having GFCI protection.
The metallic electrical boxes are grounded. All the cords have a ground wire. The stainless steel covers for the heating elements (not pictured) connect to grounding wire and in turn ground the kettle. You really want that so if you have a short or other failure the power will go to ground using the provided wire and trip your GFCI. The SSR 220V wires are not covered in the photo but are covered now. Another 220V wiring thing I find odd is that you only switch one hot wire. That is, one wire will go through the SCR/SSR to the element and the other hot wire will go directly to the element. Stay safe.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Thanks.
I've got my head wrapped around
2 Phase 3 and 4 wire wiring now.

The next thing to read up on now is GFCI

Just noticed I have a 40AMP circuit for a stove on the panel
and We have a gas stove :)

Sweet I have room.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

240V 40AMP 2 Pole GFCI is not cheap.
But I suppose killing myself would be bad.
Sigh... always another expense.
At least this will give me 40 amp power in the garage :)
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Another tidbit... When buying GFCI for the panel you need to match it with the panel.
Sadly they are not all interchangeable.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

I finally got around to the build for those interested.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=82570