Have you used a Quartz Electric Water Heater Element?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gonzo_distills
Novice

Have you used a Quartz Electric Water Heater Element?

Post by Gonzo_distills »

I have searched and the only thread I found was based on price.

Who has used the quartz electric heaters?

Did you use conventional coil heaters before/after?

Do they work as efficiently as the coil heaters?

I am finding more and more issues with coatings on conventional coil type heating elements. The idea of a quartz element is exciting to me. There can’t be anymore easily cleaned or nontoxic option out there... can there?

15 gallon keg pot, 48”x2” column, 15 gallon keg thumper, 18”x2” shotgun condenser.

I was going plug my 1” bungs and TIG a couple 2” ferrules in the bottom of my keg to house a pair of 3,000 watt heaters if y’all give it your blessing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000308181203.html
Maintain a continuous ground at all times!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Have you used a Quartz Electric Water Heater Element?

Post by Demy »

Honestly, I've never used them. At first glance I would say that perhaps they could be fragile for our uses but they are an option that intrigues me.I have never taken them into consideration because I am happy with cheap standard stainless elements (taken on aliexpress). If I may, what problems do you have with your elements?
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

Demy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:41 am If I may, what problems do you have with your elements?
The biggest issue is “stainless” elements that are actually just coated or seem to oxidize over time.

I’ve thought about the fragility but as a glass blower I fully understand how incredibly strong quartz is. Having kept aquariums for years the only time I have ever busted one of the tubes was when I tested one I suspected to be glass and not quartz. I allowed it to get hot dry and then plunged it into water. It shattered and I never used that brand again.

Back to distillation. I can’t think of anytime I would have anything inside my pot that would ever damage the element. The 2 inch tri clamp attachment should make removal for cleaning super simple. Additionally pulling the elements and hanging them next to the voltage regulator seems much more convenient than disconnecting terminals.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Never used them in a alcohol still before but we have them in our continuous water distiller at work . The other day , something went weird with the water supply and it exposed the elements .
I shook my head and figured they were gone , nekminit... water comes flooding into boiler and away it goes .
They seem pretty robust to me . :thumbup:
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

That settles it. Off to Amazon to order some weld in ferrules.