Another Controller Build

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Another Controller Build

Post by Andrew_90 »

This is mine.

It is a SCR device which delivers variable power from 0 to in my case 2 700W through the potentiometer mounted on the front. This replaces my PID controller which does not work for me. The project box I bought was a little tight but I wanted a smaller unit to sit on a worktop surface. Wiring and mounting was a pain but I figured you only have to do it once.

The SCR unit and the display were both sourced from Banggood. I recently purchased another two SCR units as spares just in case. Do not want to build another unit if the SCR fails and the new one does not fit the confined space. At 2 700W I do not need a cooling fan but fitted one anyhow, the cooler things run the longer they last. The fan is a little noisy and is a pain (pedantic me), I may consider looking for a building a circuit that varies the fan speed, reducing rpm's when the unit is not drawing maximum current.

The first point of order was to get the cover sorted. I took a standard 220V wall plug socket as I could not find anything more suitable. The facia plate of the socket plug was slightly wider than the lid so I decided to dispense with the facia and to countersink the plug. Lots of work to get a snug fit. less so for the digital display as it has a rim which hides the hole.

The completed cover sans two screw to hold in the plug.

The chassis needed a bunch of holes and cutout for the fan. The three large holes in the floor plate are simply a cooling air intake.

Wiring not complete yet.

As stills have so much metal and copper, safety is a concern to me and earthing, switches and fuses are all important. The on/off toggle switch is for incoming power. The one fuse is for the display and the other fuse for the sockey into which the element is plugged. The plug switches on and off for unplugging the element. I will get around to printing a nice faceplate.

And there she is at full tilt. Got a bunch of metrics on the display that I don't need but they came bundled so why not. A side note is that I bought a commercial element rated at 3kW but she only draws 2.7kW 10% down.

I need to find prettier screws for the plug.

One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: Another Controller Build

Post by Setsumi »

Waco makes 32A sockets and couplers. takealot has or larger electrical supliers
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Thanks will check it out.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Andrew_90 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:59 am Thanks will check it out.
busy with my build. will post when done but here the industrial 32A socket and coupler. just be weary you get the same in 16A.
32A coupler
32A coupler
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Thanks, was searching the catalogue but has something different in mind. I now know where to go look.