Twin elements

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ruralhillstill
Novice

Twin elements

Post by Ruralhillstill »

Hello all, I know it’s been lashed out over and over and over. I’ve scoured the threads and I haven’t quite found exactly what I want in terms of a build. To start out know I want the simplest and most straight forward build that can be achieved. I’m just looking to power my boiler using two 5500w uld elements. With a way to vary my power. I assume the easiest achieved would be an SCR? But in the midst of doing that I’ve found an enormous amount of information. Some of the builds just seems on the extra elegance side. I would focus mainly on stripping. But I wouldn’t mind a fine tuning knob if it’s not too much to ask for. I’m not asking for you guys to do the research for me. I’ve done a lot. I’m asking for you guys to weigh in on how I should proceed. And what you would do if you were in my shoes. There’s no issue about wiring my father is a general foreman electrical contractor. I’m about to start an apprenticeship in it. And if you have one handy a schematic would help. I find it easier to read than someone using acronyms every other word!
Thanks ahead gang!
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: Twin elements

Post by Setsumi »

i just finished my controller. i have a 10Kw SCR to power my still. i have included a PID to be able to mash beer. i live in RSA, we have 240 V standard on a 3 core wire. the SCR takes a live in and a live out to the element. the neutral and earth directly to the element. from my main power line i have before the SCR an earthleakage and overload protection into 32A double pole isolaters that act as extra protection and selection between the SCR line and brew line. my outlets are 32A industrial couplers. wiring inside is 4mm rated at above 32A.

edit to add. i only have one element. you have to ensure that your line and breakers will handle the load or run the elements on seperate breakers and lines.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ruralhillstill wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 pm To start out know I want the simplest and most straight forward build that can be achieved.
That would probably be a pot still or a CCVM which would be a more flexible still.
Ruralhillstill wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 pm I’m just looking to power my boiler using two 5500w uld elements.
Thats a lot of power for one boiler with a "simple straight forward still" on it.
Ruralhillstill wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 pm But I wouldn’t mind a fine tuning knob if it’s not too much to ask for.
Still Dragon supply good quality Power controllers , they can be found by a quick internet search, they come in kit form and cost less than $50.
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I took an SSR (that can handle the power), bolted it to a heatsink and fan and used that with a potentiometer and inline ammeter. Cost was very very very cheap and it should be able to switch all the way up to 17kW reliably (80A). Works well.
Ruralhillstill
Novice

Post by Ruralhillstill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 am
Ruralhillstill wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 pm To start out know I want the simplest and most straight forward build that can be achieved.
That would probably be a pot still or a CCVM which would be a more flexible still.

I’m sorry I shouldve specified. When I mean build I mean the controller. But yes that’s exactly what I plan to run on it! I’m just not worried about the condensers yet
Ruralhillstill
Novice

Post by Ruralhillstill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 am
I’m sorry I shouldve specified. When I mean build I mean the controller. But yes that’s exactly what I plan to run on it! I’m just not worried about the condensers yet
ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ttocs »

If you want to go the digital power regulator route the Auber DSPR400 has a built in relay along with being able to control an SSVR at the same time for ramp up heating. What you end up with is a unit that runs both elements during heating (1 through contactor switch and the other through an SSVR) up to a certain temp then shuts off the 1 element on the contactor switch and continues to control the power output to the element through the SSVR.

The DSPR400 is working very well for me. If gives me precise control of power through a dial down to 1% at a time. It controls an SSVR which smooths out the on/off of a typical SSR making for very smooth power to the heating element. I run a single 5500W element this way and very happy with it.

Here's the tech doc on how it works.
https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/ ... eating.pdf
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Post by SomethingObscure »

I'm a newb, but the only thing I'll add to the above, from my experience of running dual 4500w, is that I only ever run both elements for Stripping which is really quick and for about 35 minutes for initial heat up and again at the end to pull tails of a spirit run on SBB all molasses rum. For the larger part of spirit runs I run at less than 1kw.
But if I were building it again I would probably go of 1 X 5.5kw and a lower power for the second. Giving me easier control at the lower end.

It is worth checking what power you can pull from the outlets close to your still. Pulling 11kw from a single spur is no small ask...
Just the muttering of a slightly sozzled newbe.

Cheers SomethingObscure
Cabron99
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cabron99 »

ttocs wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:00 am If you want to go the digital power regulator route the Auber DSPR400 has a built in relay along with being able to control an SSVR at the same time for ramp up heating. What you end up with is a unit that runs both elements during heating (1 through contactor switch and the other through an SSVR) up to a certain temp then shuts off the 1 element on the contactor switch and continues to control the power output to the element through the SSVR.

The DSPR400 is working very well for me. If gives me precise control of power through a dial down to 1% at a time. It controls an SSVR which smooths out the on/off of a typical SSR making for very smooth power to the heating element. I run a single 5500W element this way and very happy with it.

This is the one I use and I love it. Bring it to temp, and switch to power % mode. Easy and accurate. Currently running two 110 circuits. My next rig will be two 220 elements.
"Life is too short for cheap cigars"
Ruralhillstill
Novice

Post by Ruralhillstill »

ttocs wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:00 am If you want to go the digital power regulator route the Auber DSPR400 has a built in relay along with being able to control an SSVR at the same time for ramp up heating. What you end up with is a unit that runs both elements during heating (1 through contactor switch and the other through an SSVR) up to a certain temp then shuts off the 1 element on the contactor switch and continues to control the power output to the element through the SSVR.

Is there anyway you could post a pic of your box set up for reference for me?
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Lots of complexity here.

Element 1 - simply off and on. no need for volume control.
Element 2 - normal volume control

Element 2 - 0-50%
Element 1 + 2 - 50% - 100%

Easy Peasy.