My custom built Power Regulator/PID combo controller

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

My custom built Power Regulator/PID combo controller

Post by ttocs »

The brains is an Auber DSPR400 Still Heat Controller. I built this to run my 5500W keg still with a 4" column. The Auber works really well in this configuration paired with Auber's SSVR to output smoother power to the heating element. I'm a little surprised I don't see more as this controller can run in 2 modes, as a Power Regulator and as a PID.

I'm in the camp that PIDs great to hold temps as they are intended to do and Power Regulators are great to control constant power output which is what you want for distilling. The PID is great for ramping up and stabilizing pre-boil or to heat up water to specific temps for mashing as it's fast and accurate. I'm not a fan of trying to use PIDs for distilling. Can be done but more of a hack imo.

More than happy to answer any questions. I decided to make a video rather than go into detail on all the aspects of my design.

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: My custom built Power Regulator/PID combo controller

Post by Yummyrum »

ttocs wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:41 am The Auber works really well in this configuration paired with Auber's SSVR
I think you have that wrong . SSVR is the Solid state Relay that is used with a pot .
The one you are using is SSR 40 DA . They are different beasts and not interchangable .

Nice clean setup by the way :thumbup:

If I may offer some constructive critism , I would not use the IEC type connectors as control sockets . It sounds like you are only sending low voltage through them to control contactors elsewhere , but these plug/sockets are designed to be used on mains supply . It is bad design to use mains connectors as control connectors as there is always the possibility of an accidental wrong connection occurring if someone plugged in something they shouldn’t