Multi-use SSR controller?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

batch97
Novice

Multi-use SSR controller?

Post by batch97 »

Hi all! I'd like opinions on building an SSR controller that I can use both for beer brewing (Boil Kettle and Hot Liquor Tank), as well as a still controller.

I was thinking of starting with something simple like the StillDragon DIY kits. For a still, I'd use it as I've seen people use them here. For beer brewing I thought I could hook up the element in need and monitor temps via mechanical temperature gauges.

But the more I've read, the more I've warmed up to the idea of building my own panel, narrowed down to an EZBoil controller. I'd build a single 5500kw 240v element controller. And then just switch the plug to the element for the BK or HLT for brewing, or the single for a still.

Which boils down (lots of puns here :)) to which of the two EZBoils might work best for my application. The brewing DSPR120? Or the distiller DSPR220? I am leaning towards the DSPR220 as I can read the temp in 0.1ths of a degree. And seems to have a few more options I can program around to make the brewing part work for heating a BK and HLT. But I have no real practical knowledge with these controller types, and was hoping someone here with more practical knowledge could give an opinion on if this is a practical idea or not.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Multi-use SSR controller?

Post by Demy »

I use a simple SCR for both distillation and my beer kettle. It's an independent box so you can use it as you want and move it to you. For beer I do not use any sensor / thermometer, simply adjust the knob to obtain the boiling vigor you want and you will keep in that way alone.I have a small display that shows the volts in order to have a visual reference and always be able to adjust the same way
batch97
Novice

Post by batch97 »

Thanks Demy! That's one for using a pot/SSR setup, and using temp gauges.
Anyone brew/still with the same controller that use the EZBrew or PID (with manual)?
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

batch97 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:41 pmThanks Demy! That's one for using a pot/SSR setup, and using temp gauges.
Anyone brew/still with the same controller that use the EZBrew or PID (with manual)?
I use a SSR for my still having become very disillusioned with my PID controller. I built my SSR controller with a wall plug so it is mobile and I can plug anything into it. The PID, imminently more suitable for temperature control, will be assigned to my Mash Tun when I eventually get around to it, and or my fermenters.

SSR

On a spirit still you will want to control power so the SSR is the correct tool to use. If you want to control temperature then the PID is the correct tool.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ttocs »

Consider the Auber DSPR300/DSPR400 Still controller. It has 2 modes, as a PID and as a Power Regulator. Both done with a SSR. It achieves smooth power output through the SSR through rapid-firing within the AC waves giving you 1% resolution. I built my controller around this and am completely happy with it.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

An SSR-DA,ON/OFF switch, and pot are pretty cheap and can be a dedicated still controller hardwired so you don't really need to buy plugs or meters. I wired one into a hotplate recently controlling the element and used all the existing internal wiring and plugs... The PID for brewing/mashing has more bit's and bob's so keeping them separate is better in my opinion..

Just my $0.02!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Jonny , guessing thats a typo
SSR-da can’t be directly controlled with a pot .
Did you mean SSR VR or VA .
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Thanks Yummy! I must have meant the VA. I did find out that a control voltage is fed through the pot terminations though when I became the path of least resistance so I guess it’s still voltage controlled lol?

That’s how we learn a lot very quickly!

Cheers!
-j
————
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Put your various types of controllers into stand-alone boxes so that you can plug in what you need, Lego style, for what you need on the day. My controllers get used for still power control, ferment temperature, fast aging temperature, slow aging temperature and numerous types of still automation for a variety of stills, including condenser water flow, plus, some them are also used for other projects, like cheese making.

On the rare occasions when I do use one of my PIDs, there is also an SCR/SSR inserted in my Lego chain to alleviate the stress to the element due to metal fatigue from the on/off switching from the type of PIDs that I have. There are better PIDs available, but I don't have them or need them.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've had a suitable cabinet set aside for a control panel for years, but I've always ended up putting new controllers in their own project boxes so that I can mix and match whatever I need for a task, Lego style.

My least used controllers would be my PIDs and they seldom get used for distilling purposes, so putting one in a purpose built panel in my distillery wouldn't be very clever. Cheap on/off temperature controllers work very well for mashing, fermenting, condenser control, aging, etc..
ttocs
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ttocs »

Just another thought - I use my still boiler to also heat my mash water to target temp. With the DSPR400 it's super easy to flip into PID mode and set a target temp and let the controller hold it there until I'm ready to pump it for mash in.

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I use my triac temperature controllers for temperature control of fermentation cabinet and for use in my boiler for sous vide cooking - :oops:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Pikey wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 am I use my triac temperature controllers for temperature control of fermentation cabinet and for use in my boiler for sous vide cooking - :oops:
Love that! I recently picked up an inkbird sous vide device and love it! The water circulation fin did break after three uses though and ordering parts is sort of a PITA so I've been on the lookout for a better solution so thank for that Pikey!

Edit:
I'll also add that cooking on my SSR controlled hotplate in the kitchen is way better fine control than the regular glass stovetop for simmers and slow cooks! Use it often!
————
————
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I have to say that some of the photos on here put my little kits to shame - but hey - I'm a bodger and proud of it ! :wink:

No 1
Controller resize.jpg
White wire plugs to wall - Black wire to heater

No 2
thermo resize.jpg
Calibrating
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I have also used them for hatching eggs - hens, ducks, geese, quail - but beware if you're going to do this humidity control is needed as well.

And I have 40 tobacco plants ready to plant out in the next few days - Drying and curing will be a problem since our autumns tend to be cold and wet - so I'm hoping to modify my ferment cabinet to fit the bill - we'll see ! One of our "old timers" reckonned to spray the leaves with rum at this stage to prevent mould - Sounds good to me ! :thumbup: :lol:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:35 am
Pikey wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 am I use my triac temperature controllers for temperature control of fermentation cabinet and for use in my boiler for sous vide cooking - :oops:
Love that! I recently picked up an inkbird sous vide device and love it! The water circulation fin did break after three uses though and ordering parts is sort of a PITA so I've been on the lookout for a better solution so thank for that Pikey!

Edit:
I'll also add that cooking on my SSR controlled hotplate in the kitchen is way better fine control than the regular glass stovetop for simmers and slow cooks! Use it often!
Thanks mate - appreciation always welcome :thumbup: :wink:

Sadly I wouldn't get away with wiring the cooker up like that - the missus was in an electrical fire as a kid and the family narrowly escaped - so she's deeply suspicious of "mods" which don't look "real" ! :roll:

So I just don't press things like that