Some fun electronics project for your critique

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gaspacho
Novice

Some fun electronics project for your critique

Post by gaspacho »

As promised I said I would upload some details of the projects I've been working on. I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions.

I built a few iSpindles from scratch and found them to be a bit hit and miss. Mine upload to Home Assistant (Home automation system) so I can keep track of everything in one place. For the effort and cost I find the most useful part is to monitor the mash temperature which can be achieved with much less effort.

Most fun project so far was the bubble counters. I use an ADXL accelerometer attached to a clothes peg clipped on to the vent to detect when a bubble escapes then measure the duration between bubbles to determine how aggressive the ferment is running and detect when it starts slowing down. This uploads to Home Assistant every minute so I can keep track of all the ferments in case there's a problem and also have record of how long they took to ferment out and at what temperatures the yeast calms down and speeds up. Is a very handy learning tool.
Bubble.jpg
Contr.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-09 181858.jpg
I'm currrently expecimenting with a load cell under my parrot to try and calculate the ABC during distillation by measuring the weight of the fixed volume of liquid in the parrot. I have a range of about 20 grams from highest to lowest ABV so it should work, I just need to bring in temp of the liquid so I can calibrate for that as well. I have a small scale under the collection vessel to tally up the yield of each cut.
Still.jpg
Still prototyping but this is the board that I run during distillation. It has the still head temp, the weight of the parrot, weight of the yield as well as the real time weight of the gas bottle to measure gas consumption and then uploads everything to home assistant every 30 seconds for later scrutiny.
combo.jpg
Comments, ideas, suggestions and critique all welcome!

G@spacho
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Some fun electronics project for your critique

Post by acfixer69 »

Interesting I guess. I don't no shit about the electronics but I do know you need to loss that plastic funnel.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is a project for you to replace the plastic funnel:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=23206
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

acfixer69 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 am Interesting I guess. I don't no shit about the electronics but I do know you need to loss that plastic funnel.
I wasn't going to say it, but I was following along to see who would.
I do enjoy seeing all the different techy stuff play with in this hobby.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.